Raw wood to handle

A couple of weeks ago the lady that watches my daughter had a tree overgrowing her eaves and asked if I would take it down. She actually wanted it limbed right down to the trunk – I explained that would probably kill the tree. I did as instructed…

I used my chain saw. Today I chopped some of the larger pieces to about 7’ so I could take some longer pieces to mess around with. If it turns out that the tree fails to thrive after that, I imagine it will be available if I want to take the thick of it (14” trunk or there abouts).

Anyway, I brought some of it home - think it’s Birch. My wife sees log reindeer, I see a possible limb handle. Largest piece is 4.5" across.

Topor.Fall
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Topor.Fall
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

The Topor got to eat a little - first real work for it. I was actually impressed with how deep that thin blade will penetrate.

Not really too notable but axe/wood/handle/Fall pictures for the Forums.
Being thick limbs, debark and paint the ends? Leave the bark? Make reindeer? lol

white paper birch if the picture is clear as it appears to be.
my brother use to make the birch reindeer and sell them.

make a reindeer and have fun with it
happy wife and all cant hurt either :)

Howcum crafty types only use White Cedar logs to make holiday reindeer up this way?

Thats birch. The same stuff that goes in the kemi's

That is what I was thinking when I was taking it apart. It was a favor job so it wasn't "harvested" with handles in mind. Do you know which strain of Birch was most common in them?

Oh, she will get reindeer lol. I don't get to collect these tools and not pull through on reindeer.

I bet it would still make a pretty decent handle.

Maybe hatchet sized heads? I have an Oval Craftsman hatchet head that needs a handle (or an appreciative home as I tend to ruin them...)
What about handles for loose Peavy/Cant tools/two man log carriers? I have that hardware sitting idle around here someplace.
LesserWoods by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

LesserWoods by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Broad axe is probably out of the question?
More than anything I want to use my tools to make something as opposed to the ultimate wooden handle for an axe.

Howcum crafty types only use White Cedar logs to make holiday reindeer up this way?

I've never seen White Cedar except via Google search but I bet it is easily workable, light-weight, and has a light cast to it? Like a snow covered reindeer? Maybe it's plentiful and an easy harvest?

"Howcum" sounds quite First Nation 300Six. In fact I can picture that being the name of a lake finger along the coast here.

What about handles for loose Peavy/Cant tools/two man log carriers? I have that hardware sitting idle around here someplace.

Why not? Sounds like a fun project.

I once made a peavey handle out of a piece of plum. It checked pretty bad but it has held up and I still use it as a handle on an old 15 ton railroad jack (Duff Barrett).

I've never seen White Cedar except via Google search but I bet it is easily workable, light-weight, and has a light cast to it? Like a snow covered reindeer? Maybe it's plentiful and an easy harvest?

"Howcum" sounds quite First Nation 300Six. In fact I can picture that being the name of a lake finger along the coast here.

The Yuppies that buy these Christmas decorations in eastern Canada tend to leave them out on their lawn until they fall apart. White birch (especially with the bark on) is a poor investment and goes for sh-t in one season and anywhere that the wood touches the ground, or stays damp, also quickly weakens. Cedar (in the initial purchase form of farm cut logs or posts) on the other hand, is readily available and cheap, will tolerate all kinds of abuse, is super rot resistant, and is soft, light and easy to work.
'Why is it' and 'Howcum' (abr. of 'How come' same reason 'C'mon' is short for 'Come on') are interchangeable; Howcum he got an ice cream and I didn't? I dunno if this a mostly a Canuck expression. 'Pourquoi' for sure is the French language equivalent.

That's looks to be a very tight fit, very nice!
The handle shape is coming thru, I like the swells...do you think you will go with the shorter handle sketched out there? I might but I don't know the exact measurements of course.
I am not sure what head you have but it looks really sweet and the blue is brilliant. I like blue.
I like the patina of an old and weathered woodslasher, I especially like squarepegs most recently posted head and handle work, as well as phantomknives red beveled Kelly that was recently posted, and now this guy right here.
:thumbsup:

I am guessing there are a few more out there I like also...there are so many beautiful axes and hatchets out there to be seen and found.

Back