RC-3 Real Use (PICS)

It seems there are so many people looking for that "One Knife Do All" blade. A couple of months ago I had the chance to see the RC-3 in real world use. It was used for cutting vines in shelter construction, meat, cord and even fingers. One of the guys used it to skin a deer. I saw one of the instructors use it to make notches in the logs we were making rafts out of. He used a grip toward the end of the handle to increase the length of the knife and made some quick short chops to notch the diameter of the log to accept a firm place to tie the cord around. When it comes to that "One Knife Do All" you will always give up something. I always try to find the knives/tools suited for the terrain I am visiting. A knife that can be used for most of the work. This was a "One Knife Do Most".

Here is the RC-3

Specs:
Overall length: 8 5/16"
Cutting Edge length: 3 3/8"
Blade Length (end of handle to tip of knife): 3 7/8"
Maximum thickness: 1/8".
Weight: 5.2 ounces (knife only), 9.3 ounces (knife and sheath

My knife requirements may be different from a fisherman or hunter. I look at shelter and fire to be up there with survival priorities. I want to be able to baton wet or muddy wood to get to the dry inside. Once I can get to the dry inside it is important to be able to make wood shavings for a fire. This may be done while wet and shivering from cold or panic so my knife must have a good grip or decent guard to protect from getting cut due to slipping.

Here are some pictures of my knife requirements.
IMG_6126.jpg

Splitting.
IMG_6151.jpg

When trying to split a larger piece of wood with a small blade you can baton the back of the handle if it has a full tang and nice flat spine.
IMG_6156.jpg

Using a piece of wood to hammer the tip.
IMG_6171.jpg

The split. Small pieces at a time.
IMG_6180.jpg

Now for some shaving. Full flat grind will do it!
IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6124.jpg

A good trio.
IMG_6206.jpg

Big Brother soon to be cousin once the RC-4 comes out.
IMG_6212.jpg

Combos

A good wilderness/Desert combo.
IMG_6214.jpg

A good wilderness/Desert/Jungle/swamp or chinese kitchen combo.
IMG_6232.jpg

I like to carry it over the shoulder.
IMG_6228.jpg

Leather Sheath by JRE
IMG_6233.jpg

If anyone finds that "One Knife Do All" blade let me know I will probably buy it!

Thanks. A little harmless fun to change it up. Someone on the other forums I post on wanted to see an "in hand" picture of the RC-3 so .....

I love my RC-3 too. Once I get a working camera I will post pics of my soon to be wilderness adventure combo a RD9 and RC3 then when I get the money poor college student here. Will be getting a RC4.

Mors Kochanski has been an influence on me after hearing about his book "Bushcraft". He shows how a small sharp fixed blade can easily cut through wrist size green branches for shelter poles and willow for trap parts. He explains the bending action puts tension on the wood fibers and opens the cut to allow the blade to slice through the wood more easily. The branch/small tree must be restrained from falling too soon and breaking which would make the cut harder to finish. Start the cut at about 30-40 degrees.
IMG_6297.JPG

A rocking motion is needed.
IMG_6298.JPG

Put a small amount of bend on the tree or branch.
IMG_6301.JPG

A clean break.
normal_IMG_6302.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

The finished cut. Done right it takes less than 10 seconds.
IMG_6308.JPG

Then she fell down.
IMG_6317.JPG

On an all day hike I decided to use the RC-3 for some firecraft and trap making.
IMG_6351.JPG

Tip first to split a small piece of wood.
normal_IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6323.JPG

I used it split damp wood since it had rained earlier.
IMG_6332.JPG

Cattail fluff is excelent for naturall tinder. The little sparker quickly ignited the tinder. It had just rained a few hours ago.
IMG_6375.JPG

After some hiking around it started to rain again. I sat under a big tree to get out of the rain. Eventually I had to pull out my cheap poncho. When the rain died down a bit I shaved some dry cattail stalks and used the shavings for kindling. I had a small contained fire on damp ground to warm me while I waited for the now sprinkles to stop completely.
IMG_6342.JPG

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_6361.JPG

Figure Four Trap.
IMG_6386.JPG

With my feet wet from crossing a stream and the sun going down I decided to head back. It wasn't long before the rain came back. No poncho for me just used the RC-3 to cut a huge palm leaf for an umbrella.

Hey thanks Jeff, thought the people would like to see what a real knife can really do.

Thanks for a great product. Oh and thank you for the kind words in the previous threads that is greater compliment coming from you.

-Reuben

No need to thank me, fact is fact, and you and the jungle fit each other really well. (although your words are appreciated)

Back