Re-hardening a PVD coated blade?

einsteinjon

Platinum Member
Hi all,

Anyone know if it is possible to have a blade rehardened that is PVD coated (without stripping the coating off)? Specifically I am wondering about the Pacific. I would LOVE one, but have always been turned off by the 55-57 hardness and would prefer 58-59 or 59-60.

Thanks for the input!

I am not a knife maker, but I highly doubt you'd be happy with the results. It would require re-heat treating... basically heat treating from scratch. Most knife makers finish the blade after HT. It can warp/bend the blade which has to be flattened. It discolors the steel which has to be finished. I think it would ruin the knife.

I've heard of re-heat treating after the fact...Bos has been discussed here before...just not sure about the PVD.

I would say pvd would have to be removed. It probably won't even survive the Temps of the re heat treatment.

That ^^^ would be my guess. Whoever is doing the re-HT will be able to advise you best.

Straightness shouldn't be an issue if the blade is straight to start. Paul Farner (took over when Bos retired) always told me if you re-harden a blade that is straight....it should come out straight. If you re-harden a blade that is bent, it may bend even worse. From the CRK blades I've seen, they are straight. Out of the blades I sent to Farner they all came back exactly straight, except the finish is gone and the blade takes a greyish cast. The metal just looks kinda dirty after, sometimes it can look amazing with a plethora of colors... other times horrible. I would usually just re-stonewash.

As far as the PVD, my only experience is with golf clubs and don't know enough to advise. I would think Farner would want that finish off before re-hardening as it may have an impact on the heat. But again I have no idea and that is just me thinking aloud. Call Paul Farner and ask, he is great to chat with I always learn a ton. He would be the guy I'd go to first.

It's a coating, of course it would not remain intact.
Why buy an expensive knife burn off the coating and throw out the warranty when you could just buy some other knife that meets your criteria from the factory?

Back