"Real world" 420HC vs S30V?

Old topic I know (Sorry).
I have recently become interested in owning Buck knives after reading a bit of their impressive history.
My question of 420HC vs super steels of S30v and S35v brought me here.
I hope you folk are OK with my reviving this relevant topic for further discussion.

It's usually considered like farting in Church.. But I enjoyed seeing David Martin's thoughts and posts on this. Welcome to the Buck forum! Buck is a fascinating company and at one time or another has made a version of just about every cutting tool man needs except perhaps medical surgical tools.. And I tried to get Chuck to do that after needing surgery and seeing what Doc's spend for them.
I'm not a heavy user and my standards are low for sharpness so Bucks 420 works for me. But I had a S35VN 112 that was the shapest knife of any kind I have ever had and was a joy to use until I gave it to Armand.

My question of 420HC vs super steels of S30v and S35v brought me here.
Glad to have you here.

My thoughts based long time use of their 440C/Mod425/420HC, some 5160, D2, S30V and a little S35VN. Buck's BOS heat treat is really, really good. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I find that 420HC is just fine for me and my uses. You'll just have to decide for yourself and what I recommend is that you buy the 420HC and S30V in the same knife. Use them both for whatever tasks you will. Use them, sharpen them, use them some more, then sharpen them. Repeat as need.

I use a Sharpmaker with medium triangle stones and DMT diamond stones. I like the 420HC.

My two most used 110s. S30V top, 420HC bottom.
sJf3MBU.jpeg

I actually have 2 model 501 with one being a reblade in 420HC from 2013 and a S30v from the custom shop. The only real difference that I have notice when using them is how much longer the S30v holds its edge. That is about it.

I've used both quite a bit on the 110 slims and the 486 buck lite. It definitely holds the edge longer but it takes more than just a few swipes on a steel to get it back.
I don't use it any differently and I have some small chips on the S30v that I have no idea how they got there. If I chip the 420 I well know what i did.
So my thought on the two is, I can take it or leave it. I would'nt pay a lot of extra for the s30, and 420 is just fine.

I'm hardly an expert, but I have a 112 Slim Select in 420HC, and I also have a custom shop 112 in S30v. For EDC, I'll always grab the ($23) Slim Select, simply because of the comfort factor. The slimmer, lighter profile is what appeals to me. It's just easier to carry.

I'm sure the S30v will hold and edge longer, but I guess the fact the fact that I always grab the Slim Select means I'm not worried about it. FWIW......:confused:

Back