realistic use limits for a Magnum Camp

I have a Mag Camp and an Eskabar neck knife coming in. I use my knives but try not to abuse them. I can see being rough with a BK-2,7,9 (within rational uncommon sense)Tac Tool etc. But The 5 ? I haven't had it in hand yet so can't gauge how rough I can be with it. From the pics\videos I've seen it looks more refined than other Beckers in that it seems to be more of a slicer with finnese, as opposed to a stump buster like the BK-2. What do you say, mid level use? Don't manby pamby, but no stupid prying, as it wasn't meant for that. Can you get away with much tree branch chopping? What do you owners say?....I'm just marking time until the fun stuff comes in. I see the necker as a fine slice\shaver so that's a non issue.

I say, not as hard as a BK2, and not as easy as a BK11. It has finess, but it has attitude too, you can chop limbs, the snap cuts with this thing is unbelievable. Mostly slice with it, you can baton it, but I would stay away from 18" kiln dried red oak.:D

Now, that BK14, I love to treat mine rough as hell. It likes it. It left me a note with some chocolates the other day, that said, "Thanks for treating me so rough last night, I liked it. Signed, Esky."

Go figure.

Moose

"Thanks for treating me so rough last night, I liked it. Signed, Esky."

it's last name is Moe?

it's a good SOLID knife.

pretty much anything you'd expect to use a puuko or leuko, yes. probably many of the demand of the BK7? yes. BK2/BK9/BK4? no

see the pass around thread. behold at it chopping and batoning oak. of a certain size. its forte is not as a chopper, esp on seasoned wood, but it CAN if you have to. i'd prefer to not have to (a hatchet much nicer).

it's HELL in the kitchen. pretty much take on anything but chopping bone i'd imagine.

camp knife? sweet. it's do almost everything around the camp and then some.

just a great knife. more people should by them, esp given how long they've been SO HARD TO FIND. it's a Fisk influenced by Becker and Toooj. what more pedigree can you imagine???

I don't own one...yet...but I did get to spend some time chopping, whittling, and cutting on some 1.5 inch hardwood limbs with one yesterday. It has a full flat grind that is great for slicing yes, but it's still no slouch by any means. It chops great, bites deep with really good penetration.

Talk about penetration...
Does this picture help...? :)

101_0956.JPG

Now, that BK14, I love to treat mine rough as hell. It likes it. It left me a note with some chocolates the other day, that said, "Thanks for treating me so rough last night, I liked it. Signed, Esky."

I got that same note too !! and I don't even own an Eskabar:confused:;)

I got one a few days ago and it may have the thinest edge I've ever seen on a production fixed blade. I thought my Bk-9 edge was thin and it has held up very well on chopping softwood(2x4s, saplings) and smaller hardwood(oak say 3-4" in diameter) even after i convexed it. It bites deeper than almost anything I have ever seen other than a full convex kukri. That being said, I wouldn't put much twisting/prying or torquing pressure on it. Seeing as the bk-5 is thinner than that, I would stick to food prep and smaller woodworking tasks (say 1 1/2" diameter and under) and leave the larger stuff to a Bk-9, large chopper, or an axe. In terms of a slicer, I dont think you could get much better than the Magnum Camp (for its size at least).

Last edited:
I have had my BK5 fro a few weeks and I love the thing. It's found a very fond place in the kitchen. It's my new dedicated BBQ knife. it was born to slice up prime rib, baby back ribs, brisquet, chicken. it goes after the veggies with a vengence. I have other knives I would use to chop and abuse. The BK5 will take quite a bit, but is much more finesse oriented.. As a matter of fact, I used mine last night to slice the bread for dinner. Slices better than most bread knives, and with a clean edge.. Here is a link to a thread that I put up with the BK5 in the kitchen.. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798943

I need to get a few more pics..

I say, not as hard as a BK2, and not as easy as a BK11. It has finess, but it has attitude too, you can chop limbs, the snap cuts with this thing is unbelievable. Mostly slice with it, you can baton it, but I would stay away from 18" kiln dried red oak.:D

Go figure.

Moose

Very cool, thanks. I saw your video on the orginal necker I believe, a few weeks ago, and it is amazing.:thumbup:

it's last name is Moe?

it's a good SOLID knife.

pretty much anything you'd expect to use a puuko or leuko, yes. probably many of the demand of the BK7? yes. BK2/BK9/BK4? no

see the pass around thread. behold at it chopping and batoning oak. of a certain size. its forte is not as a chopper, esp on seasoned wood, but it CAN if you have to. i'd prefer to not have to (a hatchet much nicer).

it's HELL in the kitchen. pretty much take on anything but chopping bone i'd imagine.

camp knife? sweet. it's do almost everything around the camp and then some.

just a great knife. more people should by them, esp given how long they've been SO HARD TO FIND. it's a Fisk influenced by Becker and Toooj. what more pedigree can you imagine???

Thanks for the reminder about the pass around thread. I saw some of it previously and it was sweet. I forgot about that one.

I don't own one...yet...but I did get to spend some time chopping, whittling, and cutting on some 1.5 inch hardwood limbs with one yesterday. It has a full flat grind that is great for slicing yes, but it's still no slouch by any means. It chops great, bites deep with really good penetration.

Sounds wonderful. The blade shape really reminds me of some of the old fur trade knives that I find while metal detecting. Graceful upswept blades. But this momma is more robust and longer, which is excellent in my books.

Talk about penetration...
Does this picture help...? :)

101_0956.JPG

Indeed it does buddy. I don't have to be afraid to use it like a Becker...with respect to it's different aspects and character. It should go through the onions like a lawn mower!

I have other knives I would use to chop and abuse. The BK5 will take quite a bit, but is much more finesse oriented.

Yes, without even handling it, that is my intuitive feeling. It's quite an intriguing knife. :)

Back