Received today: ZT 0566

Pulled the trigger on a 0566.

I've had some knives I really liked (mostly Spydercos), but this is my first foray over the $100 mark for a knife purchase. This is where the addiction begins, right?

Haha you got that right, buddy! The 0566 was my first premium knife as well; you're gonna love it! Just keep in mind it's a little hefty thanks to that stainless steel lockside, and the blade geometry is slightly different than the Spydercos you're used to. But it's an all-around A+ knife.

Just picked mine up today. It's a big change up for me as my only other better folders I've owned we're my Benchmade AFCK and Mini AFCK. Love the feel of this knife so far but really seems to be a bit more challenging to open. Definitely feels like a super quality knife. I'm sure both the knife and my technique with improve with time.

Jay

I still love mine after two months of use. The first thing I did when I got it was disassemble and deassist. Then I polished the internals and it flipped like a champ! One thing I did notice, the pocket clip puts a lot of pressure on the lock bar. I bent my pocket clip out a tiny bit, and now it's easier to disengage the lock. The detent is still strong, but the blade comes out easier as well.

A question to other owners : how much of the lockbar is contacting the tang of the blade? On my example, only a bit of the frontmost portion is contacting the tang. Lockup is around 50%. Is the full lockbar supposed to contact the tang?

I've just got a longer pocket clip in the mail box! Great job ZT! They even send two clips!:thumbup:
The original pocket clip got stuck in the milled out part where the frame lock flexes. The new and longer pocket clip fits just great past the milled out part.

Edit:
The new and longer pocket clip also fits the ZT 0770cf :D

I still love mine after two months of use. The first thing I did when I got it was disassemble and deassist. Then I polished the internals and it flipped like a champ! One thing I did notice, the pocket clip puts a lot of pressure on the lock bar. I bent my pocket clip out a tiny bit, and now it's easier to disengage the lock. The detent is still strong, but the blade comes out easier as well.

A question to other owners : how much of the lockbar is contacting the tang of the blade? On my example, only a bit of the frontmost portion is contacting the tang. Lockup is around 50%. Is the full lockbar supposed to contact the tang?

Not the best pic but this was my lockup.

I've just got a longer pocket clip in the mail box! Great job ZT! They even send two clips!:thumbup:
The original pocket clip got stuck in the milled out part where the frame lock flexes. The new and longer pocket clip fits just great past the milled out part.

Edit:
The new and longer pocket clip also fits the ZT 0770cf :D
It almost sounds like you had the wrong clip on it, did you buy the 0566 used? I have the factory clip on mine and it doesn't even look possible for it to go into the milled out part of the lock bar :confused:

It almost sounds like you had the wrong clip on it, did you buy the 0566 used? I have the factory clip on mine and it doesn't even look possible for it to go into the milled out part of the lock bar :confused:

Nope brand new. I even had one of the first nr.0026. I saw the difference on a review on youtube from Going Gear.
But ZT handled it really well.
Here is a picture with the old clip.
9874B406-E15C-437F-8C7F-21777F4DE09D.jpg

Last edited:
Nope brand new. I even had one of the first nr.0026. I saw the difference on a review on youtube from Going Gear.
Wow so the first runs had a smaller clip? Very interesting

Here is a picture with the old clip.
9874B406-E15C-437F-8C7F-21777F4DE09D.jpg

Yeah I remember when you started this thread, Ruudr. I lusted after this knife thanks to your pics haha. But I did notice once I got mine, the pocket clip was way longer than yours. My serial number was in the 4000s. Guess they changed it up after a small amount of production.

Sorry for probably putting this in the wrong thread, but I'm a n3wb...

Can someone give me a rundown of why I would want to de-assist my knife when it comes in? I don't fully understand the draw of removing what seems to be a prominent feature of the knife.

Can't wait to get it in!

Can someone give me a rundown of why I would want to de-assist my knife when it comes in? I don't fully understand the draw of removing what seems to be a prominent feature of the knife.

Can't wait to get it in!
You don't have to, some people like the assist and some prefer not to have it. Ironically (because of my user name) I like it de-assisted :p

Can't wait to get it in!

No need to apologize! Some people prefer the action on a de-assisted knife, because it opens and closes much smoother without the tension put in place by the torsion bar. It's really a personal preference. Some people love firing their blade out with Speedsafe, others prefer the action of a manual.

Another thing to keep in mind is that torsion bars wear out over time and eventually break. For some people, that makes it another problem to worry about. It's a Murphy's Law kind of thing, man. The more working parts, the higher the chance it's gonna screw up when you need it. But KAI has outstanding customer service and a quick call or email and they'll ship some extras free of charge.

Yeah Ruudr, it looks like you got one of the shorter Cryo-size clips. That's cool though, now you've got a couple extra clips for future mods. FWIW my 0566 is serial # 0646 and came with the regular clip.

No need to apologize! Some people prefer the action on a de-assisted knife, because it opens and closes much smoother without the tension put in place by the torsion bar. It's really a personal preference. Some people love firing their blade out with Speedsafe, others prefer the action of a manual.

Another thing to keep in mind is that torsion bars wear out over time and eventually break. For some people, that makes it another problem to worry about. It's a Murphy's Law kind of thing, man. The more working parts, the higher the chance it's gonna screw up when you need it. But KAI has outstanding customer service and a quick call or email and they'll ship some extras free of charge.

Great info, thanks!

Is it pretty easy to remove or replace? Might take it out after a couple of days just to try without.

Great info, thanks!

Is it pretty easy to remove or replace? Might take it out after a couple of days just to try without.

I couldn't find a video specifically on deassisting the ZT0566 but this video on the ZT0350 shows how to do it (remove the torsion bar).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_qGmCgRw5w

This vid on the 0566 gives some tips on cleaning up the insides, washer, and how to centre the blade back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paRewmjnFl0

Hope this helps! I haven't tried deassisting any of mine yet so can't give any personal tips on this.

That's the video I was looking for grownstar! I did a search in YouTube but as you know, it doesn't mention "Deassist" or anything like that in the title.

Back