Recommendation for long and heavy chef's knife with flush fit handle

I work in a kitchen and have been assigned an increasing number of prep duties. I've found that what I would really want for processing large quantities of vegetables and cooked chicken is a longer knife than the 240mm I own (270-290mm would fit the bill) and also a knife with a thicker spine, minimum 3mm but ideally 4-4.5mm. Target weight is 230-280g.
What I am very particular about is also the handle, I loathe the western style of handle with pins. All my knives have handles that are flush with the spine and I'm finding it a real struggle to identify a knife that is both long, thick, has a handle flush with the spine and that is in stock.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Looking to spend no more than $500.

This would be ideal but is sold out.

Last edited:
You might take a look at chefknivestogo (dot com). Some of their gyuto knives seem to fit your specs.

I have no direct experience with them (the knives or the company), but they have been favorably mentioned here.

Good luck.

I work in a kitchen and have been assigned an increasing number of prep duties. I've found that what I would really want for processing large quantities of vegetables and cooked chicken is a longer knife than the 240mm I own (270-290mm would fit the bill) and also a knife with a thicker spine, minimum 3mm but ideally 4-4.5mm.
What I am very particular about is also the handle, I loathe the western style of handle with pins. All my knives have handles that are flush with the spine and I'm finding it a real struggle to identify a knife that is both long, thick, has a handle flush with the spine and that is in stock.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Looking to spend no more than $500.
Contact timos- timos- he may have it in stock. I call it the Timkeda.

I do have a couple you may be interested in . feel free to shoot me an email if you like.

You might take a look at chefknivestogo (dot com). Some of their gyuto knives seem to fit your specs.

I have no direct experience with them (the knives or the company), but they have been favorably mentioned here.

Good luck.
I had a look but nothing that is in stock matches my criteria.
Either too thin or the handle doesn't mount flush with the spine.

If you look to the bottom, right on the page you linked to (hitohira.japan...), there is a link titled "Our Retailers". I found a very similar knife at Bernal Cutlery, that seemed to be in stock. Maybe some of the other retailers have something in-stock that you would be interested in.

Is this one any good Ballerina ?
Moritaka AS Gyuto 270mm
Chunky bit curvy san mai clad - under the radar etc ? hard but protected...ish-, hammer forged kouruchi - probably a bit too fragile for cheffy work - you need a 61-62 3-ply max in a trad carbon for toughness and a satin blade dunno.
My sweet spot for mega prep is 3.8 mm spine - distal taper - semi or full stainless / pm at about 59-60 so it can take abuse but touch up quickly in a satin with 6-8 sided or even better oval dark hardwood handle - RH orientation with a 50/50 grind; but it`s finding a bugger - best solution is a local guy bespoke with mega negotiation - free or discount lunches dinners etc for a few months lol.

Last edited:
The Matsubara doesn't list thickness so it's out. The Moritaka fits the bill in all regards except handle, it's out. I am also very disappointed in the fit & finish of the handles on most gyutos I find even in the $500+ range. Sukenari are a rare exception in this regard but their best are still shy of the mark.
I spoke to Tim and have put in a deposit for a custom knife.

Way to go Ballerina - see Goldilocks is the boss haha ! - good luck with your bespoke buddy.

I love my English caidao `cos I lived in China for 15 years and they mostly had big rectangle knives.

CADY-5.jpg

CADY-1.jpg

Having owned and used several of timos- timos- Custom Knives. I am certain you will be happy with yours.
He has Outstanding customer service !

Back