Recommendation? Recommendations for a knife that is not made for diving but can be used while diving?

images
This was said by someone who collects knives even though he could do all his work with a kitchen knife😂😂 Thank you for one of the shortest jokes in the world.

These things are amazing. They're used extensively here on the coast in our commercial fishing industry, and nobody has a bad thing to say about them.

They hack through nets, crab rope, seafood, hydraulic hoses on boats... they cut like mad.

Buy a half dozen of them, put them in your dive bag and you'll have a lifetime supply.

I put my dive stuff away years ago. But if I decide to get back into my suit (who am I kidding, it'll never fit) these are what i'm taking.

These things are amazing. They're used extensively here on the coast in our commercial fishing industry, and nobody has a bad thing to say about them.

They hack through nets, crab rope, seafood, hydraulic hoses on boats... they cut like mad.

Buy a half dozen of them, put them in your dive bag and you'll have a lifetime supply.

I put my dive stuff away years ago. But if I decide to get back into my suit (who am I kidding, it'll never fit) these are what i'm taking.
He’s not exaggerating. It’s actually mind boggling how good they are at a disposable price. This an even cheaper net knife that cuts the same. IMG_1200.jpeg

It takes some people a long time to realize that buying good tools once is far less costly than buying poor tools cheap.
You are absolutely right. Not only that, sometimes it takes people a long time to understand things on many subjects. It takes some people a long time to realize that losing expensive tools is just as likely to happen as losing cheap ones. Also, sometimes it takes time for them to understand that the price difference between cheap and expensive tools is not directly proportional to their quality. It's expensive for me, I'm not someone who cares that much about my dive knife. I'm not a professional. I'm looking for a tool that I can lose, misuse, and not care about when I misuse it. Because of all this, I stated my maximum budget in order not to tire people. Thank you very much for your recommendation, but as I said, it neither suits my budget nor has the features I am looking for. I'm sure it's not expensive considering its quality, I'm just saying it's expensive for me. More precisely, it is expensive compared to the budget I allocate for a diving knife. Thank you again for your time.

Not to detract from any discussion, there's obviously good reasons to get a diving specific knife as a diver, but a while ago I was watching a video of some Japanese diver fisherman who was using a Becker BK2, presumably with 1095 steel as his dive knife. I wish I could find that video again, I don't even remember what his name is but imagine my shock watching this video and seeing this dude using a BK2 20 meters under water to scale a fish. Honestly, I'll venture to say any stainless knife that is thoroughly cleaned right after the dive could suffice if you want to stay away from purpose made dive knives.

I've never used the LC200N, but I've read very good things about it since it was recommended in the thread. I used H1, I think its toughness came from its softness. It was around 54 55 HRC. I wondered why it was so good on serrated edges. Considering the difference in hardness, I was expecting the opposite and I was very surprised. Of course, I'm just learning that H1 gets harder with use. I learned this thanks to @ShaiHulud. Maybe it has something to do with this. Common sense tells me that harder steel will work better on a serrated blade (At least there is a difference of 4,5 HRC and I think H1 is a very soft steel)(unless it's powdered metal etc). I would be very happy if someone could explain the reasons for this.
I've also heard the same quite a bit from the hardcore Spyderco guys that H1 on a serrated blade works quite well. It's because, as you said, H1 is "work hardened". So when you manipulate it, grind it, sharpen it, it gets harder. So when spyderco grinds those aggressive serrations into it, it work hardens it quite a bit. I don't know what the answer is on how hard it can physically get though.

I've never been a diver, however I used to be hugely into fishing and go three times a week or so. I kept everything besides my poles in 1 backpack that I'd take with me everytime. These were my 2 main tools that I'd carry and use every time I went fishing. I put small carabiners on both and I'd clip the knife to my right side belt loop, and the leatherman on my left most belt loop. It's a perfect combo for me and I used both a lot everyday. This little Rapala fixed blade is super inexpensive and the sheath works perfectly for the job, it doesn't hold water in it at all. Both tools would get wet all the time and the Rapala never had a problem with rust even though I'd just throw it in my backpack after I was done fishing for the day and it wouldn't come out till the next outing. I still have the knife and it's been stored in my backpack for years. I checked it the other day and still no rust. It's super easy to sharpen too.
Fishing knives.jpgFishing knives1.jpg

Not to detract from any discussion, there's obviously good reasons to get a diving specific knife as a diver, but a while ago I was watching a video of some Japanese diver fisherman who was using a Becker BK2, presumably with 1095 steel as his dive knife. I wish I could find that video again, I don't even remember what his name is but imagine my shock watching this video and seeing this dude using a BK2 20 meters under water to scale a fish. Honestly, I'll venture to say any stainless knife that is thoroughly cleaned right after the dive could suffice if you want to stay away from purpose made dive knives.
I would definitely like to watch that video. I have a few beckers, the bk10 might be my favorite kabar knife. I also read somewhere that someone used fallkniven F1. I think it was a bushcraft forum.

I've also heard the same quite a bit from the hardcore Spyderco guys that H1 on a serrated blade works quite well. It's because, as you said, H1 is "work hardened". So when you manipulate it, grind it, sharpen it, it gets harder. So when spyderco grinds those aggressive serrations into it, it work hardens it quite a bit. I don't know what the answer is on how hard it can physically get though.

I've never been a diver, however I used to be hugely into fishing and go three times a week or so. I kept everything besides my poles in 1 backpack that I'd take with me everytime. These were my 2 main tools that I'd carry and use every time I went fishing. I put small carabiners on both and I'd clip the knife to my right side belt loop, and the leatherman on my left most belt loop. It's a perfect combo for me and I used both a lot everyday. This little Rapala fixed blade is super inexpensive and the sheath works perfectly for the job, it doesn't hold water in it at all. Both tools would get wet all the time and the Rapala never had a problem with rust even though I'd just throw it in my backpack after I was done fishing for the day and it wouldn't come out till the next outing. I still have the knife and it's been stored in my backpack for years. I checked it the other day and still no rust. It's super easy to sharpen too.
View attachment 2356289View attachment 2356290
It's really interesting, does it really get that hard? I'd like to test this. If I find a cheap H1 I'll try it one day. I loved this set. I wonder how leatherman works underwater? By the way, this sheath may be one of the best sheaths designed against water. I'm very surprised I haven't seen it before. This knife is literally like a diving mora. I'm looking at this now, if I can find one I'll buy it.
Edit: I couldn't find the same brand in a place that delivered to me, but I found the exact same knife in the Caperlan and ordered it now. I will share photos when it arrives.

Last edited:
It's been sold 😭😭 but it's a great knife. Thanks to you, I found a very interesting knife while searching for this knife on a local shopping site. If the owner responds, I will buy it. I think it's something that will interest everyone here.

Jeez sorry didn't see that it was sold already🤔....Old and oblivious are I..... Best of luck...The hunt is part of the fun....👍

It would help if you told us what local sea life you'll be fighting off while diving in the open ocean while holding your breath.

Something you'd use on a megalodon would be very different than what you'd want for the Kraken.
Forget the knife: only dive with Jason Statham...

View attachment 2356289View attachment 2356290
That’s a cool/good knife then. I wonder if it is made by Marttiini. Very Moraknivesque 🔪👀

It's really interesting, does it really get that hard? I'd like to test this. If I find a cheap H1 I'll try it one day. I loved this set. I wonder how leatherman works underwater? By the way, this sheath may be one of the best sheaths designed against water. I'm very surprised I haven't seen it before. This knife is literally like a diving mora. I'm looking at this now, if I can find one I'll buy it.
Edit: I couldn't find the same brand in a place that delivered to me, but I found the exact same knife in the Caperlan and ordered it now. I will share photos when it arrives.
I really have no idea how hard H1 can get and what the limit might be. I've actually never owned an H1 knife. I've just heard that throughout the years on the Spyderco forum and here. I'd like to test it out one of these days too.

On the Leatherman, I've never used it underwater as in diving and using it at the same time. I usually use it for cutting fishing line, removing stubborn hooks in fish, that kind of thing. However with that it's been dunked underwater plenty of times, and had fish goo and blood all over it. That one will rust if you put it away wet and nasty. I think pretty much just like every other multitool I've used though (Leatherman, Gerber, and cheaper chinese ones, never tried Victorinox besides SAKs), they will start forming surface rust if put away wet and tired. However I'd just polish it up every once in a while and wipe it down with a little oil of some sort.

Right on, I think the Rapalla will treat you well. Yup, pretty much just like a Mora, but catered towards fishermen.

Back