Red Scoripon Six?

Anyone who has it could tell how it preforms and pictures of it in the field?

thanks,
clint

I just remember someone posting pics of theirs after a massive chip came outta the blade !!!

I saw that pic, massive! the chip was about as big as half a coffee cup. Those blades look cool, but not many people that post in here (ie, people that actually use their blades) talk up their trackers. I am sure there are some customs out there that
have a working saw and decent heat treat though.

I do recall a thread (or two?) about folks with those that have had theirs snap/chip from basic use. Never really heard much good things from users of unmodified TOPS trackers. Not personally a huge fan of the overall concept.

Hate to be that guy, but for the money you could get yourself a BRKT/F1/Koster bushcraft/whatever plus a Fiskars hatchet/Wetterling/GB and have all your bases covered much more thoroughly.

I do recall a thread (or two?) about folks with those that have had theirs snap/chip from basic use. Never really heard much good things from users of unmodified TOPS trackers. Not personally a huge fan of the overall concept.

Hate to be that guy, but for the money you could get yourself a BRKT/F1/Koster bushcraft/whatever plus a Fiskars hatchet/Wetterling/GB and have all your bases covered much more thoroughly.

I'm the same guy. Koster makes a version of the Tracker, and I'm sure it's well made, F&F, ect as all of Dan's knives are.

RS6 did replace the blade for the guy that had the crack. None the less, I can't stand the concept. Too many eggs in one basket so to speak for me.

As SP mentioned, you could go buy a BRKT, a Wetterlings, and a Friskars saw for the same amount of $$$ and be much better off.

If you like them however, I would take a look at Koster for sure. After that I wold look at Tops.

Just my .02 of course.

That was my knife that broke.
It was a miss by their QC(too thinly ground) and they promptly replaced it.The replacement has performed flawlessly for me since and I like it better than the TOPS Tom Brown Tracker.Better design and better angles for chopping.
It may not be the be-all-end-all tool that it claims to be but it's a lot of fun to use in the bush and for bushcraft projects it does what it claims to do.But so will any knife if you use it right.

The RS6 Predator borrows the Dave Beck WSK design. it is a real tool, and not a knockoff of a movie prop.

I have one, and have put it through it's paces enough to satisfy me that it'll definitely function as needed in the field. I plan on it being my front-line companion on trips again this year.

Just a few pics:

RI06012.jpg

PredAxe03.jpg

RS6Split004.jpg

RS6Split005.jpg

RS6Split019.jpg

RS6Split022-1.jpg

RS6Split007-1.jpg

RS6Split014.jpg

RS6Split028.jpg

It has proven to work well for me. It holds an edge decently, the saw notches well enough for my use, and it is comfortable for me to use. The design works well for me. it isn't a 1:1 replacement for a hatchet+fixed blade+small blade/folder, but it'll certainly do work if needed. It doesn't chop as efficiently as a hatchet, but it chops. It doesn't carve as nicely as a smaller blade, but it carves.

I'm a happy owner. And Aaron is a great guy to deal with.

Last edited:
I happen to like this design, it does work pretty well as a bushcraft tool. I have owned the RS6 and sold it, not for any reason other than I thought they made one design flaw in the tip, by grinding in the saw to close to the tip. I saw this as a weak point, and bought a TOPS model and reground the blade to more closely match the original. I carry it with me all the time in the woods as I prefer a scout style sheath to a traditional dangler. It chops pretty well, and the draw knife makes a flat for a fire bow quite well. I also sharpened the saw with a small file and it chews through wood pretty good to. I admit that it doesnt do everything as well as an AXE, KNIFE, and SAW....but it covers the bases to abetter than acceptable level. Here are some shots of the TOPS that I reworked...one of my trail buddies right here.

nice knifenut i like what you did with it
do you have anymore picture upclose of the draw knife part?
see how you did it

thanks,
clint

nice knifenut i like what you did with it
do you have anymore picture upclose of the draw knife part?
see how you did it

thanks,
clint
Years ago when they first came out I did some contest and he sent me one of these. I’ve beaten the daylights out of it and it still looks new. While I haven’t used it in a long time as I am partial to my Randall model #1 I was recently cleaning and found 2 of these I wound up with one dangler sheath and I do believe I had the normal sheath too. I had gotten it before the seller Aaron had his falling out with everyone.

Wow, you got sheaths with yours? At the time I ordered, it was just the knife, and no sheath was offered. I remember something in the original description saying that a sheath was not offered, and that customers may want to decide on their own particular style sheath; i.e. scout style, vertical belt, dangler, etc. I made my own scout type kydex sheath (my first-ever kydex project).

FYI, I must have been in a hurry when I made my post. The knife model was Predator, not Scorpion. Red Scorpion 6 Blades Predator. I still have my Predator, #0108 out of 1000. It has been living a quiet existence in the safe for the last 10 years or so. Not because I don't want to use it, but the job I have and the job I had before that make it hard to get out and enjoy my edged tools in the great outdoors. I pulled it out and it still has wood 'skid' marks on the blade and little chips in the notching teeth.

And for Clint, I'm sorry, but I do not have any close pictures of the draw knife part of the blade. The draw knife portion is hollow-ground with what seems to me to be the same radius as the 'hatchet' part of the blade. Check out Dave Beck's Tracker/WSK Blade Anatomy here: http://www.drbeckknives.com/WSK-KNIVES.html. The difference between my RS6B Predator and the tool pictured in Mr. Beck's anatomy pic is my Predator has a visibly deeper quarter round; about 1/2" from the flat edge of the draw knife to the start of the hatchet edge. The 'line' where the draw knife grind meets the hatchet grind on my predator is at a steeper angle than the grind junction on Mr. Beck's anatomy example. So, the Predator has a slight more hook to the quarter round section.

Edit: If RS6Blade could ever bring back the Raven - the high carbon steel version of the Predator - I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Back