Redmeadow Wild Cards

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Looking at the Cowbell frame I had an idea for some other blade designs. Not ones that I wanted to add to the existing four blade options, but ideas to play around with. They'll be in the cowbell family, but not the same animal. The important thing to remember here is that these are not meant to be available as an option, or intended to be repeated, just some random.... Wild Cards ;)

We'll use this as a running thread to post their progress of Wild Cards as they come about. To start I'll be making what I would call craft knives for a couple of my favorite YouTube people.

Feel free to chat, babble and offer suggestions on what you think might make an interesting blade. Off the wall ideas welcome.

Edited to add knives that have come to fruition since this thread started:

Craft/Bench Knives
20220901_171425-01-01.jpeg

Lambsfoot
20221026_163519-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know if I could bring myself to do a tanto blade, just can't see it on a cowbell frame.

Compound or double edge could be interesting. A leather skiving knife might too.

I don't know if I could bring myself to do a tanto blade, just can't see it on a cowbell frame.

Compound or double edge could be interesting. A leather skiving knife might too.
📢DOUBLE EDGE, DOUBLE EDGE, DOUBLE EDGE, DOUBLE EDGE📣
;)đź“Ł How about double edge?

Actually, if I could put a stop to my foolishness for a minute…
I like double edges, but mainly because I used to use one to stick hogs…

But, even tho we didn’t have any guards on the Old Hickory knives we were supplied…
I saw so many accidents, and intentional self mutilation, that I find myself passing up
knives without a double guard…
(I can make exceptions on occasion;))

So, anyway I was thinking a sharpened top swedge…
I hope I have the terminology correct…
I like harpoon style blades as well…
Gut hook / rope cutter?
We cut rope & twine &… well rope & twine anyway… oh paracord, right!?

Them knives we had at the slaughterhouse are about $15 today…
I don’t know how cheap in 84…
And we didn’t get a new until the one we had was worn so bad, it wasn’t even worth bringing home…
There just weren’t that many available aftermarket knives back then…
And we couldn’t afford one back then anyway…

Ok, I must have forgot I’m not in the GreyLine…
If I’m yapping too much, just let me know John, or anyone…
Goodnight all!!

Randy, you're one of the most genuine people I've ever known. You yap all you want my friend, don't ever hesitate.

I like the idea of a sharpened top swedge, maybe in a spear point?

I was just talking to someone today about bailing twine and how hard it is on a blade. They use netting for round bales and I thought the best blade for that kind of work would probably be a wharncliffe for a couple of reasons. Being how easy to sharpen and that the straight edge wouldn't slip out of a long cut along netting like the belly of a drop point might want to. The only thing better than that might be a hawkbill but then you run into sharpening difficulty on the fly. A wharncliffe you can sharpen on a dang rock if you needed too.

Randy, you're one of the most genuine people I've ever known. You yap all you want my friend, don't ever hesitate.

I like the idea of a sharpened top swedge, maybe in a spear point?

I was just talking to someone today about bailing twine and how hard it is on a blade. They use netting for round bales and I thought the best blade for that kind of work would probably be a wharncliffe for a couple of reasons. Being how easy to sharpen and that the straight edge wouldn't slip out of a long cut along netting like the belly of a drop point might want to. The only thing better than that might be a hawkbill but then you run into sharpening difficulty on the fly. A wharncliffe you can sharpen on a dang rock if you needed too.
Good Morning all y’all!
John, thanks very much for the kind words, they mean a lot coming from a man of your caliber!!

Yeah, top swedge!
I also am a big fan of spear points…

I don’t want to like wharncliffe blades, I just don’t like how they look…
However, I have chosen function over appearance re many things in my life…
And I can’t argue about the function & utility of the Wharncliffe!

Roy doesn't like wharncliffes, he calls them upside down knives, makes sense lol.

They are goody lookin but I like them because that point seems to always be where I need it for most tasks. I carry a GEC Viper that Dopic1 Dopic1 was kind enough to send me years ago when I lost mine (man I hate losin stuff, still bothers me), love that pattern. That paired with the belly of the Serrano that's always on my hip seems to be a perfect little combo.

The Zulu is my favorite. ;) I still have a few 47's left. One is in Snakewood that is absolutely a beautiful knife.

The Zulu is my favorite. ;) I still have a few 47's left. One is in Snakewood that is absolutely a beautiful knife.
Dop!!
Imagine running into you here!!

I'm very lucky, as I got a beautiful cutting board & later, a very cool pen from Scott!!
Dop, you're a favorite OG brother!!

Dop!!
Imagine running into you here!!

I'm very lucky, as I got a beautiful cutting board & later, a very cool pen from Scott!!
Dop, you're a favorite OG brother!!
Likewise Randy, I have several Redmeadow knifes. This being my favorite.
6G1no8Z.jpg

They are great looking knives...
Remind me of the stacked leather type Westerns, & WW 11 era RH-36 for example...

BUT, knowing the knife master that made them adds so much enjoyment...
Likewise Randy, I have several Redmeadow knifes. This being my favorite.
6G1no8Z.jpg
WOW!!!!! Just WOW man!!!
That is really cool…
See, I am a real novice to the RedMeadow creations…
So, appreciate the info & pics!!
Hope you’re doin alright today Dop!

They are great looking knives...
Remind me of the stacked leather type Westerns, & WW 11 era RH-36 for example...

BUT, knowing the knife master that made them adds so much enjoyment...

WOW!!!!! Just WOW man!!!
That is really cool…
See, I am a real novice to the RedMeadow creations…
So, appreciate the info & pics!!
Hope you’re doin alright today Dop!
Anytime my friend, hope you're doing okay up in Canuckistan. I collaborated with John a few years ago to build the Camp Chopper. It's a beast, pic's don't do it justice, 1/4 inch 1095 with a nice Hamon. Holds an edge like you wouldn't believe and tough as nails. I use it all the time, if I could have one knife this would be it. The stacked leather types are in 52100 and will hold a razor edge. Use them around the house a lot and also for cooking. Last I have a cowbell, that I carry most of the time, fits in the pocket real nice. The quality is unbelievable, flawless designs, everything is to perfection you can't ask for a better knife.

That's old school right there, that's the knife that started it all. After I made a knife that I thought was finally legit, I did a Giveaway and Scott asked about a custom, (which was that beast above). Took me forever and I think I had about 3 or 4 failed sheath attempts. Things just kind of went from there and here we are.

Back