Refill 8 oz butane canister with propane?

Hi,

I like the compact butane stoves that use an 8 oz bottle and am interested in refilling them with propane. I've refilled the 1 lb propane bottles from 20 lb propane tanks many times with no problems by the following method: Put the empty 1 lb bottle in the freezer 'till it gets cold, attach it to the adapter on the 20 lb tank and turn the rig upside down, open the tank's valve for a minute or more until it stops hissing into the bottle, then close the valve and remove the filled 1 lb bottle.

Will that same or a similar method work to refill the 8 oz butane bottles from 20 lb propane tanks? Is there a danger of over pressuring the 8 oz bottles since they don't seem to be as strong heavy metal a container as the 1 lb propane bottles?

I've found a couple of adapters that look made for the job, but would be glad for any additional suggestions. These are what I've found so far:

Thank you for any help learning to do this!
David
Maine, USA

My understanding is the butane is kept at lower pressure, and the containers are designed accordingly. I don't think it is a good idea to transfer propane to a butane canister. The danger is not worth saving a few bucks.

Back