REKAT 's presence?

Christina and Bobs' names are both listed as moderators here, but I also have been wondering the SAME thing, as I haven't seen either one of them post anything, or answer any of our questions here...
frown.gif

...Maybe they are both really busy making more great REKAT knives for us?.
smile.gif

I'll volunteer MY time to co-moderate this REKAT Forum if it would help...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

At least Bob Taylor responded to questions and posts directed at him, although I will say that I have seen Bob Brothers respond many times, just not lately.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Just ran a couple searches.

Bob Brothers last posted here exactly a month ago.

Christina Montero has posted 3 times this year, last time being 2/6/01.

Bob Taylor hasn't posted since 9/6/00.

Of course every company has to do it differently, but this is a far cry from the participation of Sal Glesser on the 2 Spyderco forums.

Have to admit that given the percentage of posts that describe significant problems w/knives, and the lack of participation by the honchos, and the lack of a website for so long, my determination to buy a Carnivore is dissipating a bit. In fact, was certain was going to buy one in the next few days. For sure, am postponing until another day, using the money to buy another knife. Even has me thinking about the BM710 -- shudder.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Geez...I wonder if REKAT is about to "go under", out of business...It IS very strange that they all have seemed to abandon us here at THEIR Forum...(I sort of feel like an un-wanted bastard-child.
frown.gif
.).

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

i dont know?? seems like lotsa 'QC' probs too lately, esp w/SIFU - wonder whats up myself - why so many lock probs w/SIFU? I thought the rolling lock was so tough? is it because of the blade size/weight, and the inertia involved w/snapping them open, a practice i rcently halted due to all the probs w/locking on SIFU's - and i have never been able to access websight, not this yr anyway - but, maybe they just dont give a flip about it, concentrating on designing knives - maybe they just arent into PC's - i understand, some arent - but they outta get someone to come to this forum every now and then . just my 2 bits worth...and i LOVE REKAT, check out my SN..

SIFU

I have to admit that it seems like there have been more lock problems with Sifus lately, but everyone has also indicated REKAT
and Bob Brothers has taken care of them also.
I tend to think that they are just swamped with the Savant getting ready to go into production. Remember that the Blade Show is comming up and knife manufactures will showcase new models and prototypes. I wish Christina or Bob would chime in more often, they are a much smaller company than Spyderco, so they must be really busy. I just wish the website would go back up!

------------------
A Pat on the Back is only a few inches from a Kick in the Butt.

I can say that I know they are very busy. Try calling them, if they are like me the internet is a secondary form of communication! Cant understand why folks get upset when you dont answer your e-mail!
smile.gif

Yo Bugs3x,

I have had a Benchmade 710 for a couple of years now. It is the smoothest, fastest knife I own. The Axis Lock is clean and simple. I have never had any problem with it. If you buy one, I bet you'll like it.

I detected some reservation about buying a Benchmade knife. I'm not busting balls here, but I am curious as to why you have reservations, if in fact you do.

I second the question on the Benchmade 710. My two EDC knives are the 710 with M2 combo edge blade, and a Sifu. I trust the design and functionality of the 710 implicitly.

I've had the Sifu less than one month, and I practice daily with it, but I've read about lots of problems with the rolling lock. I've reached the point that I do a light spine whack test, check the fit of the lock, and check the blade placement everytime I pick up the knife -- that lack of confidence is NOT good. I'm thinking about detail stripping it; having the liners, pins, and screws heat-treated; and ordering spare pins and screws from REKAT. Either that, or I might retire the knife from service.

Willie Boy and milcaztra -- my reluctance to buy a Benchmade is based on several things, I guess. Most of them are more "psychological" or a matter of taste than anything really based solidly in reality.

In reading the forums, including a lot of older threads, there have been very many complaints about BM's QC, particularly with edge grinding. My basic philosophy in a lot of areas is that one tend to the basics first, and learn/do the fancy stuff later. Knives are made to cut. A company that consistently seems to take little or no care with that most basic element of their product, seems "automatically" to me -- just to me you understand -- not to give a rat's ass about quality.

While virtually all recent posts about BM's customer service have been positive, there is a large number of posts about BM being real cavalier, and insensitive to their customers when knives presented problems.

While I freely admit I don't clearly understand all the details, whys and wherefors, the general gist that I have about the way BM controls the retail selling of thier products really bothers me. At least a large part of that -- however unrealistic -- is that to me it seems largely based on something like a corporate ego: "We're Benchmade, and if you want to do any business with us, you do it our way, or buzz off." I have a very deepseated resentment towards that kind of ego/controlling way of doing things. Am not hung up on laizzez (sp?)faire capitalism, just resent the hell out of that sort of operational style.

I have heard so much praise of the 710, I'm convinced that it must be a great knife. I like big knives. I would like a lock that I can fully trust. I like smooth actions, and good steel. The 710 offers all that. If it were made by any company other than BM, would jump at it. In all likelihood, I'll sort of hop slightly sidways towards it and buy one in the near future. But, it will leave a bit of a bad taste in my mind. (And, if anyone is likely to get an examplle with wildly uneven grind lines, it is going to be me. A karma thing, I think.)

I do have to admit that my distaste for BM isn't as strong as the antipathy I have for Emerson. There were quite a few things about that outfit that bothered me, but when I read the home page, or whatever page, of their site and learned that the fantastic, one and only Ernest Emerson is leading the world of knives into the 21st century, it went way past my gag point. I will never buy an Emerson new. Not sure I could bring myself to buy a used one even, and their QC problems sound so severe across their entire line, I simply no longer have any taste for their knives. When I started here, the Commander loomed large on my horizon. Its invisible now.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but that's my style too often, and a lot of what I feel, tho strong, has some subtle aspects it is hard for me to explain in a few words.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Bugs - A lot of the complaints about BM "not caring about their customers" are related to their minor participation in their forum. Much like REKAT they just rarely reply. Though, like REKAT, they do answer the phone and email pretty well, and take good care of people who do have to send knives back. While BM has had QC complaints in the past, they seem to have drastically improved in this area, and edge grinds as well. Regardless of whether they spend much time on the internet, BM, like REKAT, makes great knives. IMO some of the best designs ever are BM's. I probably won't buy a Carny just because that slot is filled by my 710hs and, I believe, filled better. I like the Axis lock even better than the Rolling Lock. I don't want to sound like a commercial or anything, but you're really missing out if you refuse to look at Benchmade knives. The Axis locks are really cool, and there's a lot of them. Major problems are rare. While I carry my Sifu almost every day, and there's no conceivable replacement for it, I also carry a 710hs or AFCK every day, and a 940 and/or 350 daily as well. Overall I like BM's lineup better than anyone else's. Emersons a whole nother story.

Still waiting for Carny Cubs in D2E..

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Is not giving a need? Is not receiving mercy?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

"A lock you can fully trust", "smooth action", "good steel"...sure sounds like the Benchmade Walter Brend folder that I've had for going on 10 years.
biggrin.gif

When I bought it from Northwest Safari, they said "you're really going to like this knife"...they were right. JMHO

I might sound really silly, but whats up with the spine whack test?? I carry a knife daily, have for years and NEVER did this.

To me it seems like a real good way to mess up the locking mechanism. The only potential reason I could see is to check strength for a back cut/slash and that is (hopefully never) performed against animate tissue.

If I have a question on lock strength, I use a kevlar glove while training and doing cuts on a 2x4.
Its like the "theoretical" fault of a liner lock closing under combat conditions. Has anybody here had that happen for real?

Just my 10 cents worth.

medusaoblangata and Town Sergeant-- Thanks for your input. Appreciate it. Yes, as I indicated earlier, believe the 710 is probably the best knife in that genre. Also understand that the Axis lock may well be the best -- though the fairly frequented broken springs don't breed confidence. And, as I indicated at the beginning of my last post, most of my attitude/feelings aren't very factually based, just irrational/personal.

I also believe the AFCK is another knife pretty much deserving title of "best/near best" in category. Almost bought one a few weeks ago, except I wanted M2 steel, but not black blade. No such animal.

Actually, I don't recall reading any threads complaining about BM's participation or lack thereof on their forum. Just read threads about people feeling they were grossly overcharged when they sent in knives for fixing/servicing, plus so many complaints about the uneven grinds. As I indicated earlier also, I know that most recent comments about QC are very good. That, more than most other factors, is what will allow me to buy a BM. I'm sure I'll consider others as well, if my first proves to be a good experience.

Part of my trouble here, I believe, is that I'd decided that REKAT was going to be one of "my" companies, as CRKT has been from my first interest in knives, and Spyderco has become since my participation in the forums. Now, unless things change pretty drastically, that may well not be possible. A large part of that is the similarity between the Carnivore and the Timberline Wortac. I thought I'd love the latter, but it just doesn't fit right in my hand. And, of course, all the recent complaints about lock problems. And, for me, there is a problem about no 1-800 #. Maybe REKAT just isn't big enough or successful enuff to be able to afford such a thing, but the fact that to even call to let them know that there is a problem with one of their products requires the expenditure of your money, since apparently e-mail is largely ignored.

Sorry to be so long-winded again, but this stuff is important to me. While I'm usually a complete cynic about others' brand loyalty/whatever, I guess truthfully, would love to have a brand I could feel so strongly about in positive fashion. Not sure what that says about me.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

[This message has been edited by Bugs3x (edited 05-20-2001).]

It’s been busy here and there has not been a lot of time to spend on the forum this will change.
R.E.K.A.T is a small company. As many that have posted in the forum previously can attest to we have excellent customer service. All knives are repaired and returned within a very short time of arrival at our door most leaving the next day.
"I have to admit that it seems like there have been more lock problems with Sifus lately, but everyone has also indicated REKAT
and Bob Brothers has taken care of them also."
It may seem that way but at this time we are building Sifus at a rate of three Sifus to one of every thing else in the line. The return for rate of Sifus for repair is less than 1%.
Bob Brothers

Bob, three Sifus to one of everything else!
eek.gif

There are a LOT of bagels out there in trouble.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
A Pat on the Back is only a few inches from a Kick in the Butt.

Back