Off Topic Remembering a Long Time BladeForums Member - "MerryMadMonk"

Not a normal post about knives, but a belated memoriam for a long-time member of BladeForums. My dad (user "MerryMadMonk") and I joined BladeForums in 2011, and he became a prolific knife collector and knife history enthusiast in the last decade or so of his life. I wanted to write something about him on here, because many old time BladeForums folks interacted with him over the years in the different discussion boards about traditional knives and slip-joints (which he took great joy in). His name was Al Edmonds, and he died almost a year ago of pancreatic cancer, about a month and a half after his diagnosis. Many of the people who talked to him on BladeForums knew him only as a knife lover - which was true. He was an avid collector of Gerber Mark II's, Great Eastern Cutlery, old time Case knives and Imperial knives, and hundreds more. He sparked my love of knives with my first Buck 110 and a trip to Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Tennessee. In the intervening years since 2011, whenever I was home from college and the army, we spent long nights (sometimes into the wee hours of the morning) talking about knives and guns and the outdoors and history.

Today I hoped to share some of the other facets of his life that were largely unknown to those outside of his family. BladeForums user "MerryMadMonk" - Al Edmonds was a soldier and leader who served in dangerous places out of American idealism and a deep reserve of courage. He loved talking to all of you and learning from this community. I wish I had shared his passing with the community sooner, but the past year was a whirlwind of his loss intermingled with another army move.

If you're interested in reading his story, I've attached a link to his military biography.

MerryMadMonk - A Soldier

zY-Hn9TdJNahsBb1Z7DAF4iT8CyJp6JXQ3zzWxrTKgQWtBaqx9Gs5rP8SVk5FZf-uCnWgs2viAQ5RQ04BbtOzfvvax8CxYbb5pgAagtvwMo6Jn2uykvsB3kw8o6j3yfRK4T0rO_ZbcPWopxdxNveAaw

One Sunday several years ago, my dad gave a brief talk to our church congregation when our preacher was sick and unable to come. He admonished us to “live life with gallantry and face death without fear.”

Our family is very proud of his service as a Military Intelligence Officer in the US Army for seventeen years (1980 - 1997), with tours in the 2nd Armored Division at Fort Hood, TX, the 5th Infantry Division at Fort Polk, LA, the United Nations Command Security Battalion - Joint Security Area in Panmunjom, South Korea, and the 1st Cavalry Division in Fort Hood, TX (including two deployments - one to Saudi Arabia and Iraq for Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm [for which he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his distinguished wartime service], and one to Kuwait for Operation Intrinsic Action and Operation Southern Watch).

My dad will be remembered by those who knew him and loved him as a devoted Christian, a loving husband, a proud father, an adoring Huckleberry, a good brother, a humble soldier, a fierce friend, a dog lover, and an avid fisherman.

2 Corinthians 4:8-9 - “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed . . .”

Thank you for sharing. Your father sounds like he was a good person. I do remember your father's moniker and reading his posts, though i don't belive I ever spoke with him. I'm sorry for your loss.

Your dad was a valued member here for years. Thank you for sharing these thoughts and memories.

I'm going to move this to the "community" section but leave an open redirect link for those who come across the thread.

Thank you for sharing this. People come and go through the forums, but we appreciate being able to celebrate his life with you.

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have a lot of great memories to treasure.

Thanks for posting this, and your sentiments of your Father.

Having a parent who inspires and helps guide you through life is a true blessing.

Blessings and aloha to you and your Ohana.

Sorry for your loss. I was MI, too, but different tours at different times so our paths never crossed. His is what I call a life very well-lived.

My deepest condolences to you and your family for your loss. Your Dad had great taste in knives.

If you have a chance post some pics of his collection or some of his favourite knives. I would love to see them.

Thanks for posting.....

I'll dig in and read more.
I'm sorry for your family's loss
I lost my father last month. I still think and wonder about griving. It's going to take time. There is definitely a hole missing.......

*my father taught me how to sharpen on an Arkansas stone back in the day.
I also have his old Buck knife, with the tip broken off.
He taught me how to clean bluegills with it...... Priceless.

Thanks for sharing your story and thanks to your Dad for his service. You have great memories to keep him alive in your heart.

A very nice tribute to your Dad. I remember seeing his posts alot through the years. RIP

A great tribute OP, sorry for your loss. Time eases the wound, but it never heals. Remember his lessons and he will smile upon you all of your days.

Back