Removal of black coating on blade

Okay, I have a 420BST Resistor. But, I am not a fan of black coated blades (especialy benchmade's teflon).I'm thinking of sandpapering off the coating. so my question is, how many people have removed the black coating on they're blades? And what was your results? Thanks! :)

I have had great results! :D

afck-final1.jpg

http://www.2smrt4u.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2

BTW, that was done primarily with a buffer and then a LOT of hand-polishing. The blade finish underneath the black coating is pretty rough.

I have sanded the black coating off of one of my Benchmades also. It is easy to get the coating off but a lot more work to get the surface underneath smooth and shiny if that is what you are wanting. Absolutely worthwhile in my opinion, though.

Chris

cmd said:
Somehow I knew I would see this knife pop up in this thread. Drooooool!!!
Would you expect any less? :D

The next one will be even better! Think damascus and snakewood! :cool:

Definitely looking forward to seeing that one.

What sandpaper would you recommend? I used the variety packs of 3M brand from an auto parts store, with the highest grit being 800 before going to buffing/polishing.

Any tips on technique, other than patience?

That is most fine. The D2 really polishes up to a nice soft-glow finish. ;) It is surprising that the level of polishing you had to do did not disturb the BM logo on the obverse. What is the logo on the reverse? Is that stock or added?

Steven Roos said:
BTW, that was done primarily with a buffer and then a LOT of hand-polishing. The blade finish underneath the black coating is pretty rough.

How did you get the Benchmade logo on there?

Take a look at Bruce Evans' Tutorial Page for instructions on hand rubbing a blade.
I don't know about the Benchmade coating, but I used Zip-A-Strip paint remover on the epoxy coated CS RS. The epoxy coating gums up the sandpaper in no time.
I also sanded the etch of my Queen D2 canoe...those etches are deep!

MarkMM said:
That is most fine. The D2 really polishes up to a nice soft-glow finish. ;) It is surprising that the level of polishing you had to do did not disturb the BM logo on the obverse. What is the logo on the reverse? Is that stock or added?
Added. That is the New Millenium Forge logo. (My friend that worked with me)

Ebbtide said:
Take a look at Bruce Evans' Tutorial Page for instructions on hand rubbing a blade.
I don't know about the Benchmade coating, but I used Zip-A-Strip paint remover on the epoxy coated CS RS. The epoxy coating gums up the sandpaper in no time.
I also sanded the etch of my Queen D2 canoe...those etches are deep!

Excellent information. Thank you!

To make it look it's best you'll have to dissasemble the knife and take the blade out. But not to worry as it is not as complicated nor hard as it may sound. Good luck with the project. :) :) :cool:

MarkMM said:
Amazing work Ebb! Thanks for the link:D .

I hope you're talking about the flaming anvil graphic...that's my work :D

Nah, I know you're talkin' about ol Bruce's knives.
They are great aren't they?
(That's why I have 4 of 'em!)
:cool:

Well, of course I was referring to the awesome Flaming Anvil Graphic! :D
The knives are pretty nice also. ;)

Back