removing blade coatings

i have the benchmade version of the facilitator. the black coating with the satin looks pretty sweet, but everytime i see a blinged out facilitator it makes me want to remove the coating on mine and polish it up. does anyone have any recomendations on doing this without totaly jacking up my knife?

I have used an 800 grit paper and then a 2000 grit scotch brite pad with some WD-40.

I try to keep it in the paper moving parallel to the blade. I would also use a little blue masking tape on cutting edge because its an easy way to cut the crap out of your hand.

Someone else may have better ideas but this has worked for me.

thanks dj. have you tried this with the benchmade instigator? or a knife with a similar coating? im not exactly sure what the coating is but i could find out. this has been my main carry knife ever since i bought it and im afraid of jacking it up. i also dont know if the metal under the coating will be shiny like hole cut outs or if it will be dull. do you think it could be buffed to a shine if this was the case?

After thinking about it I have done it on the BT2 and BK1 coatings from Benchmade but I have never done it on the BP1 TiCN that is on the Instigator.

If you are looking for a nice clean finish you may want to find a pimper to do it for you.

is the bp coating a teflon based coating? I actually have a decoating facility about 100 yards from where i work.i dont know why i didnt think of it before.thats what hapens youve got your mind on your $money$ and that $money$ on your mind. I might try to sand a part on the inside of the grip holes first just to see what it looks like underneath. I like the non glare finish especially in a concealable knife.but that shiny bling would really look pimp when i was out on the town flossin.

I've stripped many a blade,,,,,,,this one,,,a Terzuola Dress Eaglerock,,,, seracota black #514 coating.Unsharpend false Top swedge begged to be sharpened so I did sharpen the front 1/4 inch. Jacked a bit of the coating in the process. So I stripped the entire blade,,,,,,looks excellent now without the black coating. I just wet sanded it from start to finish,,,,from 600grit in steps to 800 ,,, 1000 and 1500grits. I left it semi shiny,,,,coulda kept going to mirror, but didn't . Lotsa water an elbow grease,,,,,and be carefull the edge dunt bite yer ass!!!!!!!! Like someone previously stated,,,,on the flats stay parrallel , sand in 1 direction only,,,,don't go round and round!

RT_2036.jpg

Peglrckaft.jpg

I'm sure you should'nt have too much trouble doing this. I've stripped Busse Combat blades,,,,,which is a biaaaatch. The coating hides lotsa dimples inherant with the INFI steel. Yours most likely is nothing like this.For inside the holes try a dowel wrapped with sandpaper,,,,,or a pen. The real small holes in that handle are up to your imagination. Mini fine file or sandpaper rolled up ???? It can be a lot of work,,,,,but when the finish is all pimped out and blinding ,,,,ya can be proud you did it yerself!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Snatch13 ,,,, mang,,,,,,,,,, you strip dat shit yet ?????????????? Make yer own bling ,,,,,,, till ya get the facilitator, the real full on $$MONEY$$ ,,, !!!!

not yet mang,i havent had time to do shit lately other than makin that money.that and throwing this new band together. but momma always said,ya gotta make that hay while the suns shining

right now im trying to decide if i wanna bid on this ronin or wait and see if mike made a pimped out balla version for the virtual show. i've been wantin one of those knives forever mang,its the perfect balance of form and function. i guess if all else fails i can get this spyderco version and maybe get lucky and get the MONEY version to. mike has a video on youtube that is sick mang. its a ronin,but it doesnt have any scales and it has that pimped out satin shine finish like the facilitator that you like.

It's possible to take the BK coating off with nice results. 320 grit paper with liquid Brasso, then followed by 800 and then a fine grit sanding sponge equal to 1000 grit produced this after a few hours on my 710...

710FinalTwo.jpg

710FinalOne.jpg

Sure I could've paid for a new replacement blade but this turned out just fine...

Joe

You guys are going to loose your mind when you see the pimp stroke hand finish on the blades going into the show!$!$!$ Too sick!!!

It's possible to take the BK coating off with nice results. 320 grit paper with liquid Brasso, then followed by 800 and then a fine grit sanding sponge equal to 1000 grit produced this after a few hours on my 710...

710FinalTwo.jpg

710FinalOne.jpg

Sure I could've paid for a new replacement blade but this turned out just fine...

Joe

Looking good!$!$!$ :thumbup:

Snatch13 ,,,,,,, mang,,,,,,,,, it ain't that hard,,,,,lotsa wet sanding ( yanno,,,,,elbow grease ). You CAN do it!!!!!!! Grow a set and start your project,,,,,,,, you'll be happy you did, when it's all nice an shiny,,,yanno ....... pimpin !!!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

The hard part it to start,,,,the first swipe of abrasive to the blade,,,,,then,,,the rest is easy,,,,,,keep sanding till it *pops*,,,,then yer done.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DO IT !!!!!!

Taking the BK finish off the 710 was the ticket. The coating dragged when cutting things in the kitchen (I'm semi-retired so use my Benchmades around the house a LOT) and got harder and harder to clean.

Now I have the finish to where I want it and it's sharpened, and with barrel spacers, I have my favorite Benchmade because it's tricked how I like it! Here's a pic of the spacers...

ModifiedBenchmade710BKD2.jpg

Have a good one~!

well ive tried the 1500 and the 2000 sand paper, and im no where near a mirror finish.its still got that dull shine to it.

Realise ,,,, your supposed to * wet * sand,,,,,,, use lotsa water and elbow grease , all in one direction ,,,, not circular ....... When you can see your reflection your done. If it ain't mirror enough,,,,,,use polishing compound and a dremel,,,,,, or by hand. From right up close you'll always be able to see minute scratches , unless ya machine polish it wiv compound,,,,,, but by hand you'll still get real good results ,,,,and it'll look mirror and photograph as such ,,,,,,, keep wet sanding away,,,,, Bet it looks a million times better Right Now,,,,, than it ever did coated (I friggin hate coated blades,,,,even though I own several)

Btw: ......... hope yer wet sanding like 45 minutes to an hour per grit .1000 1500 then 2000 .Then keep it up to desired results appear. It's a lot of work mirrorin a blade by hand.

Last edited:
I have used an 800 grit paper and then a 2000 grit scotch brite pad with some WD-40.

I try to keep it in the paper moving parallel to the blade. I would also use a little blue masking tape on cutting edge because its an easy way to cut the crap out of your hand.

Someone else may have better ideas but this has worked for me.

Great Advice..

Thanks Bro..

i know mang, ive spent about 4 hours already.the coating came off pretty easy for the most part.i just cant get it to really shine.im gonna work on it some more today,but it really seems like its going no where. i might try some polishing compound with it
Realise ,,,, your supposed to * wet * sand,,,,,,, use lotsa water and elbow grease , all in one direction ,,,, not circular ....... When you can see your reflection your done. If it ain't mirror enough,,,,,,use polishing compound and a dremel,,,,,, or by hand. From right up close you'll always be able to see minute scratches , unless ya machine polish it wiv compound,,,,,, but by hand you'll still get real good results ,,,,and it'll look mirror and photograph as such ,,,,,,, keep wet sanding away,,,,, Bet it looks a million times better Right Now,,,,, than it ever did coated (I friggin hate coated blades,,,,even though I own several)

Btw: ......... hope yer wet sanding like 45 minutes to an hour per grit .1000 1500 then 2000 .Then keep it up to desired results appear. It's a lot of work mirrorin a blade by hand.

Yeppers ,,,,,,,, it's a lotta work by hand........ but worth it when it's done!!!!!!!

Back