removing the latch

Hey guys,

I was thinking of taking the latch off of my bm42 for a while and trying it out as a latchless. I was just wondering if I'm going to need to press fit it back in afterwards or if I will damage it by squeezing it back in with a vise.

Thanks for any insight.

My the jolly one fill all of your holdiday bali needs.

What I did was after I removed the pins, I filed off the knurls on the ends of them. This allowed me to disassemble and reassemble the 42 whenever I wanted.

Mer

You can press fit the latch back on the vise if you take some care. It's a fairly straight forward procedure. Tap with a hammer until the knurls start to bite, place in the vise and press. Make sure to check that the pin isn't tilting in any direction.

Mer's suggestion of filing off the knurls is an excellent one if you are planning to disassemble you bali's often (for cleaning or other purposes).

Hmm, I know this thread has been dead for quite some time.. but I was thinking of removing the latch on my bm-42 also..

So, what's the best way to remove it? Do I need to punch out the chicago screw, brute-force like? This won't damage the handles too much? I'm guessing by knurls, you mean little teeth to keep it in place?

Any more info would be great.
And/or closeup pics of it disassembled would be good too.

Thanks.

I have two 42's. One I can hammer out the pivot pins and latch pin no problem with a punch. The other one requires a lot more force too get out but I don't have a vice. So, try a punch you'll get it out. Then do what Mer did. They are the knurls. Good idea.

Originally posted by SilverLighT
Could I possibly get a little answer about this?
T6 for the screw. Then use a thin pin punch 3/32" is the one that works for me, and line it up with the silver ring of the torx screw. Be careful to not damage the thread. Strike with a hammer firmly and the pin should come out. Any pin punch larger than 3/32 will result in the pin hitting the recess of the latch screw hole and not the screw itself.

Back