Rendezvous Throwing

Hi guys, New to the forum but have been throwing for a while now. I won’t say I’m old because I won’t let the “old man in” but, I’m way past 60! I’ve been doing Living History rendezvousing for about 12 years and this is where I throw, in Hawk and Knife competition and was wondering if any of you guys (and gals) do the same?

I started out with, and stayed with until a few weeks ago, a Fort Turner Bowie style thrower and the same brand Hawk. But Fort Turner is out of business now and I wanted to find something else to try. I tried a few but nothing would compare to the FT. I just tried a Cold Steel True Balance blade. I never thought I would find one that suites me better than the For Turner but I think I have.

My wife also throws and she likes it too. Having only had thrown a Beaver Bill thrower and liked it, I’m surprised she did. (So, I bought her one to keep peace.)

Are any of you into Rendezvous throwing? If so, what do you use and do you follow the NMLRA rules? A lot of the rendezvous we go to do.

I attend a couple of "Mountain Man style" throwing events where all knife throwing is handle only, i.e., 1 and 2 spin and hawk throwing is 1, 1-1/2 or 2 spin throwing when possible. (I also attend non-MM style knife throwing events that have half-spin distances included and no-spin throwing. I'd attend double-bit throws if there were any in range.)

The Texas State Mountain Man Championship throw changed its name to "Texas State Mountain Man Style Championship" because a-hs who had not been to the throw in 4/5/6/7 years pitched a fit because the mandatory requirement to dress in pure pre-1840 style clothing was dropped. The dress code was relaxed in order to increase the level of participation so the event would not die, which would have happened had the rules not been relaxed.

The rendezvous events I have checked out were more about muzzleloader shooting with only a smattering of throwing. And it's kinda hard to see if you want to get involved when you aren't even allowed to look around unless you are in "period dress". So .... I don't attend them or even keep track of them.

I guess I believe in keeping it period correct but all the events I attend (and that's a lot) always have at least one Public Day, where all can attend and not be in period dress. (FREE) A lot of them also have School Day (ALSO FREE) where teachers bring the class in on a field trip. I have seen several people get started in the hobby because of this. And it's hard to beat when you show a youngster how to start a flint and steel fire then watch his eyes light up when he does it his self.

But yes I like keeping the rules true to the period. And if that's what making an event fall off in attendance then, maybe there is more problems there than just period dress.............just my thoughts.

But anyway, back to my questions: who goes to rendezvous and what knife and hawk do you throw?

You'd likely fare better over at the Bushcraft USA forum or The Muzzleloading Forum to be honest with you. This topic doesn't see much traffic here. No idea why.

You'd likely fare better over at the Bushcraft USA forum or The Muzzleloading Forum to be honest with you. This topic doesn't see much traffic here. No idea why.
It used to have a lot more activity, but then a bunch of knife and hawk groups got started on farcebook and folks drifted off to over there. including me. I'm following 8 or 9 throwing groups over there.

Back