How To Repair damaged handle under axe head (GB Small Forest Axe)

For a bit of history, I lent my Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe to a 'friend', who ended up damaging the handle under the axe head. I want to fix it up a bit, but not sure the right approach.

It has dirt ingrained into the damaged area - I tried cleaning it best I could, but it's still there. Could I just leave it as is and put a couple layers of tung oil? Or should I do something else?

Here is an image - https://ibb.co/jqjvTF

Can't say how extensive the damage it is, but this may be a good time to learn how to hang this baby on a new handle. If damage is superficial, I'd probably thin out the handle (just enough to prevent the crack from spreading) and then happily use it.

Can't say how extensive the damage it is, but this may be a good time to learn how to hang this baby on a new handle. If damage is superficial, I'd probably thin out the handle (just enough to prevent the crack from spreading) and then happily use it.

If you click on the image (after opening the link), it will zoom in a lot. From what I can tell, it's more of 'brunt force' damage, and the cracking seems minimal.

20170528_160257.jpg

You could remove/cut the splintered wood carefully to a couple of millimeters shy of where it stops, use a finer wood file to rasp the whole area until the splintering is gone, shape it as much as possible to the rest of the handle, then sand it smooth. Take a small pick and pry it up a little to see where it stops.

It won't look the same but if you apply BLO it might stay functionally sound for quite a while. I have a Lakeside boy's axe that I've taken camping several times with the same repair - I haven't had an over strike since then... Always a reminder ;)

Perform an overstrike "debridement" or "excision" more or less.

Personally I would re hang it if it is a "backpack", "camping" or bushcrafting" ax. As those types of activities mean that it will likely be the only ax you have on you and it is obviously comprised. And having a preventable failure is no good.
Will it last as is? Probably. I am rather hard on my axes. I use and sometimes abuse them. Handles can be amazingly resilient even when they are less than optimal.
You could do what Agent_H Agent_H said above. I personally would just re hang it and be done with it.

I keep it in my truck as my truck axe, so it wouldn't be going with me in crucial places. I think it'll be fine as is, but is it worth putting tung oil over that rough part?

For my camping and more crucial situations I take a gb wildlife hatchet with me for less weight. It's in perfect condition.

Back