Repairing and sharpening my razor.

I have a straight razor that I nicked on the sink and the tip folded on me. I don't really know anything about sharpening or honing a straight razor. I sharpen my own knives, but this is a whole other ballgame. Can anyone recommend any services to send it to? Or is it something I could semi-easily learn to do? I just don't want make it any worse. Thanks in advance for the help!

I would hit either SRP or badgerandblade, and look up a local to you honemeister. Its not easy to do yourself, and they will give you an idea of how hard it will be to fix up. There are a lot of guys around, and its easier to spend the little to get it done well than to gear up for a full honing.

+1 on the advice above! I frequent SRP and the members there are great about sharing information. Honing a straight is very different than sharpening knives, and takes additional stones you probably don't have.

Thanks for the help! I actually thought about a local knife sharpener after posting and called him. He said he hones quite a few razors and shaves with one himself. So problem solved! He also said he would keep it a few days to make sure it was as good as he can get it, which makes me feel better.

Let us know how it ends up. A knife sharpener who can do razors is quite a rare thing, so I hope you found someone who knows his business.

Well, I know this is a really late update, (like 6 months late) but I finally got around to taking it to him, and he basically made it worse. He's great at knife sharpening but, I've definitely learned my lesson. Should have asked around some more.

Well, I know this is a really late update, (like 6 months late) but I finally got around to taking it to him, and he basically made it worse. He's great at knife sharpening but, I've definitely learned my lesson. Should have asked around some more.

If you go on to Badger and Blade, look for Doc47 or Bayamontate. They are the best and will take care of your razor. It will probably cost around $25.00 is my guess.

If you go on to Badger and Blade, look for Doc47 or Bayamontate. They are the best and will take care of your razor. It will probably cost around $25.00 is my guess.

Thanks! I'll definitely check them out. I appreciate the help.

If you go on to Badger and Blade, look for Doc47 or Bayamontate.
I second this doc or nelson do some mighty fine edges. I do my own but you should find someone closer to you. I am on badger and blade and srp along with the shave den, gssixgun on there also dose some great work. straights are bevel set to the spine and require expensive stones to hone properly. a knife bevel is set with the spine well above the spine. if the spine is warped or otherwise out of line with the edge its a lot of trouble to get it back. I set bevels with a 1k stone and work upwards to around 15k.

I'm sorry to say that knife sharpeners trashing straight razors is a common thing.

I could help you "semi learn" how to hone your razor, but first you would have to let me know what hones you have.

Back