Replacement pivot screw issue

Tasmaniac

Incurable Bladeaholic
I recently purchased two bronze ti pivot screws from Monkey Edge for my new 3 inch wharnie. I accidentally purchase an extra one but decided to keep it rather than return it.

When I tried to install them last night neither one fit! They're definitely 3 rather than 3.5 inchers, and what concerns me is that BOTH of them failed to install.

I guess I'll contact Monkey Edge about a return but I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else or if there could be an issue with my pivot. The original stainless steel screw is fine, so that seems unlikely. I've never, ever had a problem installing any Hinderer parts and it seems really unlikely that two pivot screws could have had a machining problem.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

I recently purchased two bronze ti pivot screws from Monkey Edge for my new 3 inch wharnie. I accidentally purchase an extra one but decided to keep it rather than return it.

When I tried to install them last night neither one fit! They're definitely 3 rather than 3.5 inchers, and what concerns me is that BOTH of them failed to install.

I guess I'll contact Monkey Edge about a return but I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else or if there could be an issue with my pivot. The original stainless steel screw is fine, so that seems unlikely. I've never, ever had a problem installing any Hinderer parts and it seems really unlikely that two pivot screws could have had a machining problem.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

What do you mean by "neither one fit"? Do you mean they won't thread into the pivot or something else? The threads on all the pivot and pivot screws are the same regardless of size and generation. Make sure you clean any residual threadlock from the pivot (and apply a small fresh amount if desired) and be certain the pivot is properly installed into the knife and everything is in alignment before installing the pivot screw.

Neither screw would thread into the pivot. I don't believe there was any residual loctite in the pivot but I will ensure there is none and try again. Thanks for your input.

Neither screw would thread into the pivot. I don't believe there was any residual loctite in the pivot but I will ensure there is none and try again. Thanks for your input.

Closely inspect the threads on the new screws, make sure they appear to be consistent and complete. Remove your pivot from your knife and simply try to thread the screw into the pivot.

I failed to mention that I did try to do just that. I removed the pivot and attempted to thread both of the new screws. They simply would not thread.

I failed to mention that I did try to do just that. I removed the pivot and attempted to thread both of the new screws. They simply would not thread.

Certainly odd, I have never heard of that happening. I'd suspect that the pivot threads had gotten messed up or had something interfering if you hadn't stated that the original screw still works fine. I'd contact Monkey Edge, Brady will sort it out for you.

Thanks... I will reach out to ME today. I appreciate your suggestions!

Yeah I dunno about this, Last time I needed some help from RDA he said, "Hold it up to your screen...... closer.... closer.... there, How's That?"

It was fixed.

What kind of computer do you have Tas ?

Yeah I dunno about this, Last time I needed some help from RDA he said, "Hold it up to your screen...... closer.... closer.... there, How's That?"

It was fixed.

What kind of computer do you have Tas ?

You know, you shouldn't share all of our secrets, I only do that for you since I can't easily make it out to the Poconos to directly assist.

I think this problem is going to require someone to actually lay hands upon the object while performing an incantation. I'm not sure skype or other alternatives are going to work. :D

You know, you shouldn't share all of our secrets, I only do that for you since I can't easily make it out to the Poconos to directly assist.

That last time you used the Drone was pretty cool....oops!

In the unlikely event that anyone wants an update :) I was finally able to thread the replacement screw. There was definitely some obstruction of some kind in there, but after working the screw into the pivot many, many times I was able to clear it up. What's strange is that the original pivot screw had no issues at all.

In the unlikely event that anyone wants an update :) I was finally able to thread the replacement screw. There was definitely some obstruction of some kind in there, but after working the screw into the pivot many, many times I was able to clear it up. What's strange is that the original pivot screw had no issues at all.

Well that's cool. The tolerances are so tight that the tiniest burr close to the starter thread could booger you up. You were probably just being careful (understandably) after some fiddling you bent it over or sheared it off and in it went.
We Love "Updates" almost as much as Pics.

32cd6a81-9b4e-40e0-b8c6-fb0f04cea417_zpsapysonbm.jpg

Here she is after my minor ordeal. This is my first 3 inch Hinderer and I'm still adjusting to the different feel, but it's definitely going in the rotation as soon as the purple loctite (applied in miniscule amounts) drys overnight. :thumbup:

Glad to see it worked out, I sure had my doubts that the threads were incorrect or there was a true manufacturing issue but stranger things have happened. I carry a 3" wharnie on a daily basis, great knife.

Back