Reproduction of Singapore Fighting Knife

Below is a recent reproduction of an Original Shanghai Fighting Knife.
440C mirror polished blade
Aluminium Guard - hand crafted by George
Walnut Handle
Brass Pommel
Original Pattern 1933 - Shanghai by Chief of Police Fairborne

reprodiuctionofsingaporuu9.jpg

This one is SOLD it was made for a private collector who owns the original.

Anyone interested can contact us re Special Order:)

Last edited:
WOW, George you really knocked that one out of the park:thumbup: Excellent work.

Craig

Carol

'Fairburn' as in Fairburn - Sykes of the fighting knife fame. It is a forerunner of the FS Commando Fighting knife. He was chief of police before he came back to the WW11 military.

Great work and a beautiful knife to handle in the flesh.

That's pretty

Does that mean that Andrew has an original ???

I have to come in and see that sometime

George,

Wouldn't mind one of those with a monel guard and cap, along with a stacked leather washer handle with grooves for a secure grip.

SGB

P.S. I have one of those Moose Hunters with Sandbar Stag

Interesting proposition SGB, going to have to think that one over a bit.

I have worked on stacked leather handles before and had a lot of trouble with them. Perhaps using crazy glue to stabilize the whole thing would work better than stacking it dry and trying to get it tight enough afterwards.

I am going to have to think this over for a few days.

Talk to you later.

George

Hi George!

A long time ago, I read how Bo Randall did his stacked leather handles. Each piece of leather was added to the tang, then glued individually. Once compressed, excess glue squeezed out, and the whole thing was allowed to dry before final shaping, polishing, etc.All pieces of leather were, of course, put on fairly quickly, and compressed, before glue had a chance to set. Hope this helps.................Pete

Nice looking knife. Bet it feels good too.

As to W.E. Fairbairn, from wikipedia:

William Ewart Fairbairn (1885–1960) was a soldier, police officer, and exponent of hand-to-hand combat method, the Close combat, for the Shanghai police between the World Wars, and allied special forces in World War II. He developed his own fighting system known as Defendu, as well as other weapons tactics. Notably, this included innovative pistol shooting techniques and the development of the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife.

George made this knife for me last summer, copying an original that was made by Fairbairn in the Shanghai police workshops in 1933, from an old Wilkinson bayonet. It is faithful to the original, and, indeed, feels just right in the hand. A number of originals (there are supposed to be about twelve in existence in total) can be viewed on the web, by calling up "Shanghai Fighting Knives". .........Hope this is useful.....Pete

Back