[REQUEST] Help ID'ing this Fireman's 6lb./36" pick head axe?

Total weight with (36" curved hickory) handle is approx. 8.5lbs. Markings on head include what are either 6 or 9. I think it's a 6lb. head.

Couldn't discern a maker's mark. Handle appeared to have had a label on it at one point. Purchased in rural southwestern PA.

WQMOx4C.jpg

Are there any suggestions as to who might've manufactured this axe? I bought it off Craigslist for a few bucks, so not expecting the Antique Road Show experience lol. Would just like to learn if this is an American axe, and where it was made.

GEDgDkb.jpg

BeOWZTe.jpg

yiZt0L3.jpg

bZzsiEH.jpg

ar7IC5P.jpg

V8mkiIS.jpg

Ji2yYol.jpg

Any assistance ID'ing this axe would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, gang!

True Temper sold a red fireman's axe that was six pounds, and they were one of the largest axe producers in the USA. Most old axes laying around in the USA second-hand were made in the USA. I am in Western PA and I have never found a second-hand axe that was foreign made yet in this area, and 99% of the hatchets I have found were all USA made too.

I’m no help with an id but the handle looks original and with the light color where the label used to be and the barrel wedges make me think it’s later. Also the girth of the handle points to a later manufacture. Looks like a nice one though. Oil up the handle and will be a good user.

That's a Council Fireman's ax. It even has their mark on it. I have the Flat head model w/o the spike. Mine is a good splitting axe. Probably an
earlier model than mine just looking at the age on the handle. DM
Thanks for the reply, Dave. Just for my own edification, could you indicate where/what the Council mark on my axe is? I was looking for a "C T" type mark but couldn't find one lol. Really appreciate the guidance!

True Temper sold a red fireman's axe that was six pounds, and they were one of the largest axe producers in the USA. Most old axes laying around in the USA second-hand were made in the USA. I am in Western PA and I have never found a second-hand axe that was foreign made yet in this area, and 99% of the hatchets I have found were all USA made too.

I’m no help with an id but the handle looks original and with the light color where the label used to be and the barrel wedges make me think it’s later. Also the girth of the handle points to a later manufacture. Looks like a nice one though. Oil up the handle and will be a good user.

Thanks guys, both, for the feedback and insights. I split a few rounds with this axe on Superbowl Sunday and she's a beast!

That roll pin and the barrel wedges make me think it's a Harbor Freight fireman's axe.

I don't see the CT logo or anything suggesting TT.

That roll pin and the barrel wedges make me think it's a Harbor Freight fireman's axe.

I don't see the CT logo or anything suggesting TT.

Thanks!

I did look at page for the current Harbor Freight offering but didn't notice any roll pins. Couldn't see the eye of the axe to note how it was wedged, however. Also their stated shipping weight for the axe is almost a pound less than what this one weighed on my digital scale. Need an image of an old HF 6lb fireman's axe for comparison, I guess...

yPlR2ML.jpg

Thanks!

I did look at page for the current Harbor Freight offering but didn't notice any roll pins. Couldn't see the eye of the axe to note how it was wedged, however. Also their stated shipping weight for the axe is almost a pound less than what this one weighed on my digital scale. Need an image of an old HF 6lb fireman's axe for comparison, I guess...
You can't go by the website photos. The actual products can change all the time.

Sometimes they'll have rolls pins, sometimes they won't.

My HF fireman's hatchet doesn't, but all the ones I see lately do.

And whoever makes their axes is notorious for barrel wedges. Which, from my experience, are rarely used in new production outside axes with a wider, European styled eye. I could be wrong, but the barrel wedges really jump out.

I agree that its fairly recent manufacture.

My first instinct was also that it was a Council Tool fire axe. I thought that square looking symbol was the CT makers mark, as the C is very square with the T running through it - but it does instead appear to be a squared off number 6. and it does look like it says 9lb on the top - which could not be correct. I've never heard of a 9lb axe of any type. Council sells an 8lb fire axe. Makes me think that it might be foreign made - somewhere not familiar enough with our weight system to know that 9lbs is not correct.

Yes, it's the third photo from the top. My Council flat-head ax has that same stamp. Council has made that model for some time. It's a true 6 lb.. Whereas, my ax is 5 lb. 10 ozs., because it does not have the spike. The pole on mine is not heat treated. So, I wonder if yours is. Either face of your ax could be used for splitting. My ax excels at splitting. Just the right cheek and weight to split my oak. Try it, I think you'll like it for splitting. DM

Last edited:
Back