[Resolved] 0560 blade play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my serial was 3027...I'm not sure if that's up there in production, but I assumed it was...

also i'm gonna say this if you want a tough as nails knife get the 0300 had a few of those and theyve all been perfect, I've also had a ti military by spyderco and the F&F and overal quality was way better than the 56x series and it cost a lot less as well, I'm still kicking myself for trading that knife off....

0780 no play on this one...

nbpt8n.jpg

also i'm gonna say this if you want a tough as nails knife get the 0300 had a few of those and theyve all been perfect, I've also had a ti military by spyderco and the F&F and overal quality was way better than the 56x series and it cost a lot less as well, I'm still kicking myself for trading that knife off....

Spyderco did change the ti frame lock on the Military to a steel insert and it's on the Tuff's as well.

That really sucks. Definitely return it and leave it at that. The 0780 isn't even in production anymore. Built like a tank, huh?

I returned mine (no blade play, but very new) as I'm a lefty and, to me, it's a right handed knife (the lock should be on the other side for a lefty as it is on a lefty Sebenza). To me, the detent was too strong, too (I've heard they are reducing it or already have). Finally, the gimping by the thumb is too aggressive for hard work. That's not to say it's a bad knife --- even with these issues I almost kept it. It is well made and offers much for the money (I mean that) --- maybe they need to slow production. (My ZT350 is fine and I really like it.)

Lately, I've noticed QC seeming to go down at many of the companies. Cutting costs & speeding production probably. I thought ZT was an exception. With all the returns I don't see how manufacturers and dealers can easily make money without jacking up prices. (Prices are already pretty high --- compare to the price of a gun.)

I am seriously considering switching to more fixed blades.

Made in USA is not enough. Especially if rushed together. The best Spydies are apparently made in Taiwan. Why?

Good luck; and don't buy any more from ZT right now!

When they can send out a 0780, with the blade so off center it rubs the liner, the lock up so bad the blade just flexes with ease, clip holes misaligned so badly you can't switch the clip and metal on the butt end cut outs hanging off so bad it looks, just plain shoddy, then they can't even repair the knife, when it's sent back, you have to wonder just who is working in QC? Do they even care what goes out the door?

It would be interesting to see the numbers on how many knives ZT has produced compared to the number of problems. And how those numbers stack up against other company's production to problem numbers.

I know I wouldn't be happy if I were in sticktodrum's position with ZT but I wouldn't write the company off either.

With your opinions some of you paint a picture of a company going down the tubes. If the facts painted the picture I don't think it would look that way.

Opinions are someones view and too often are emotionally based which usually blurs reality.

I've had good luck.
Even with blems.
I wouldn't write them off at all.:)

ZT can and does make some excellent blades, Kershaw and ZT are among my favorites. I just think they need to look a bit closer at what they are shipping out, at times. No way they are "going down the tubes". Besides they do stand behind everything even if it is flawed once in great while.

I spoke to Stephen at Kershaw, I was fortunate to get him right off the bat (He dealt with my 0550 the second time it went in), and told me they'll replace the 0780, and gave me my choices, so that's settled. He said he'd fix the 0560 issue, or I could contact the retailer regarding an exchange given the short time it took for the issue to develop. So, I'll email Dave and see, but I don't really hold him responsible for the issue. So, after I hear back from him, I'll either send it to ZT, or to Dave. Eventually, it'll be resolved, and more time without the knife as usual. Oh well.

I'm reluctant to ever buy a ZT again, but I'm also an idiot who's a glutton for punishment. Maybe a 0300 series would be fun, haven't heard bad things about those.

Just looking at the picture I notice that the lock bar seems like not being bent sufficiently: so the locking is weak and here comes the play... I had an issue with vertical blade play on BM 760 and fixed it by taking it apart and bending the lock bar just a litle bit further. I am not saying it is the definite answer but I would probably try it again if I had that kind of problem repeating with any liner/frame lock knife for a reason unknown.

Sitcktodrum,

I am sorry for the trouble you have had - we will make this right for you, and quickly. I am sending you a PM right now to work out the details.

Thanks - Jim

Thank you Jim. PM replied, I await your email. I appreciate the help, it means a lot to me.

bending lock bar will not solve the problem if the lock face is damanged. and depends on the damage, bending lock bar will cause sticky lock, but once you resolve the sticky lock, it will go back to blade play. had same issue with 550 and it's with ZT right now. i spent good two weeks trying to solve the problem and found out the same thing as this thread. it's a shame.. i love 550. i'm still looking at other ZT models.. but not really sure if i want to go with ZT or some other vendor at this point. 350 seems to be a good choice and seems to have less issues.

My Dad got the 0350 to replace his unrepairable 0780 and he actually likes it better. Looking at it it's well made, blade is dead centered, opens very fast, locks up solid against it's dual thumb studs and steel liner. It's a very well made knife a good size for carry and use. I might get one for EDC and just put the two 0780's I have up being there was less than 300 made.

I would love to see ZT go to a steel insert on the lackbar face for the 560 composite that is coming out.....I think that would help with some of these issues. Hardened steel blade tang to soft titanium lock face doesn't sit well with me.

Hmmm, so I'm not the only one. I have the same issue with my 561 - vertical blade play. Of my 7 ZTs this is the second time I had a problem. I had a ZT300 and the torsion bar broke but that was replaced immediately with a call to Kershaw. Now I'm overseas, it's too much hassle to send back to Kershaw to replace. I handled some at a knife shop and one had the same exact problem. Anyways, just picked up the Spyderco Tuff so we'll see how that goes.

Hmmm, so I'm not the only one. I have the same issue with my 561 - vertical blade play. Of my 7 ZTs this is the second time I had a problem. I had a ZT300 and the torsion bar broke but that was replaced immediately with a call to Kershaw. Now I'm overseas, it's too much hassle to send back to Kershaw to replace. I handled some at a knife shop and one had the same exact problem. Anyways, just picked up the Spyderco Tuff so we'll see how that goes.

You mean your 300 has play without the torsion bar? Mine's the same way, fine with the AO, play without.

You should try filling out the form on Kershaw's site for a new torsion bar, though. They send them out without you having to send the knife in.

Carbidize the lock face and there wont be issues.

That doesn't affect it. I have a carbidizer, and my 300 is carbidized (along with all my ti integral locks). In my experience, if anything, carbidizing will increase the likelihood of lock rock because it eliminates galling. (Actually it is a bit gritty at first but after a few, maybe a dozen, openings it smooths out.) It's due to the lock bar not having enough sideways pressure, not the lock bar/blade interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back