Off Topic Response, Video of Kunai that flies straight.

Hello everyone,

This is a post in response to commenters requesting to see video evidence of a Kunai that I've designed. Its main feature is that it flies straight and does not rotate through the air like the average throwing knife. Instead, this one permanently has its blade pointed directly toward the target during its entire flight. A decent analogy to its flight would be an arrow or a football.

You can find the video through the YouTube link below or simply type in Spiral Flight Kunai into the YouTube Search Bar.

As a side note, the design may seem pretty simple. However, it took three different prototypes to narrow down the perfect placement of its center of mass and pressure to make it stable in flight.

I made a few comments on your post about this design but the thread seems to have vanished?? Dont know what thats about...?!?
But dont get discouraged if you have gotten negative feedback here.
You have demonstrated a good functional design. Just because its not totally original doesn't mean it doesn't work, or is not something people will use or buy.
Keep up with your designs and practice, you are clearly on the right path.
Your design to me looked functional, practical, fun and fairly cheap to produce.
I say again well done Sir.

I have to say I'm impressed. I figured you were some goof talking smack. Find a manufacturer and distributor and those will sell.

That prototype flies very nicely!

If I may suggest, make more videos, smile in them, get excited, keep them short and sweet, some few videos explaining like the above, but more videos demonstrating the throws (especially with music, perhaps a different genre per video), and from different angles, not just by yourself, but having others throw them, including young an old of both sexes. Invent a game that can be played specifically with this knife - with the multiple throwing methods that can be used an experienced thrower (which I am not) should be able to come up with a myriad of game variations that make the Spiral Flight Kunai even more fun and engaging. Show the Spiral Flight Kunai as something that the whole family can enjoy, and keep it in front of people. If you want to sell thousands of this thing, and I believe you can, I think you will have to commit yourself to it, and bring up the excitement.

I wish you success, and when they become available, I would like to own a set. Show me the commitment to success and I will make a contribution.

I must say I am a bit disappointed it is just a fletched dart. I was expecting something novel. But still very cool.

I have two questions.

Does it work as intended if thrown holding by "ring" on the end (I mean holding like standard throwing knife)? How much time/space it needs to stabilize?

Have you tested/checked what is minimal size/number of "fletching" to achieve stabilizing rotation? Can you calculate/record number of rotations per distance (like rotation/meter)

Throw most Wednesday nights (is my bowling night) handful of people show up, we invented a card game for dollar bills/knife throwing, been doing it for a decade. Would give me a serious advantage in my wallet..

Back