Restoring Leather Washer Handle Fixed Blade

North Shore

Gold Member
I would really like to restore this Estwing hatchet handle knife I got recently, would anyone know of any good DIY knife restoration videos or tutorial threads? Is there someone to consult with on the forum here? I have read that using fine grit sandpaper will liven up the leather washers and spacers and make them more uniform. I have zero experience in reprofiling blades but I know mine could use some work, the tip has been rounded and it seems the swedge on my knife isn't as defined.

Here is my example:
kccuo7.jpg

wlwxoj.jpg

21jmwht.jpg

Here is my goal: (Photo Cred: North Star Trading Post)
jgmfb7.jpg

As you can see it has a lot of potential

I haven't had much luck with tightening that leather, once it shrinks to the point where there is slop. There is a thread over in tinkering and embellishment where someone did a re-do on a leather handle knife like that, they did a nice job on theirs.

I haven't had much luck with tightening that leather, once it shrinks to the point where there is slop. There is a thread over in tinkering and embellishment where someone did a re-do on a leather handle knife like that, they did a nice job on theirs.
I'm not finding much slop in the washers, there's just some high spots. My concern would be maintaining the concave handle shape.

I would say that the sandpaper on the leather would be good. You can buy like a package of sheets of various grits up to 1200. I would also use the sandpaper on the blade also to polish it. The knife looks like it could turn out real nice. Don't leave us hanging as you work on it.

I'd scrub the handle with saddle soap or something, then give it a light sanding and buffing.

Let's give this a try in Maintenance and Tinkering.

Use a sharp mill bastard file (fine cut) and file the handle to shape. File in one direction only!
Then, after the handle is smoothed, use 320-400 grit wet/dry sandpaper (dry) in the same direction only!
Then, 0000 steel wool-again, same direction only.
Then use paste wax on the handle.
Then, send it to me for the blade.

Hello North Shore, here's what I was able to obtain, starting from this :
34388388195_988f0fa826_c.jpg
34388388195_988f0fa826_c.jpg

I used 320 grit dry sandpaper, then 500, 800 and 1000. (I cut strips of about 8-10 inches long and 1 inch wide.)
Then I rubbed the handle with a soft cloth.
Finally, I put 2 or 3 thin layers of beeswax and rubbed with a soft cloth again, in between.

My result :
33985613544_7c2d8261ab_c.jpg

If I could do it, so can you !

Back