Review : Hatchet from Gransfors Brux

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
This hatchet has a very thin edge, comes with a high polish and as a result, cuts very well NIB, no edge work necessary. Note the durablity is relatively low though, avoid knots let alone bone or anything harder.

The handle is fitted securely to the head, glued and double wedged. No problems developed with extended use, whittling, chopping or light pounding.

More detail :

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/gb_hatchet.html

I was going to wait until I had done more chopping on larger wood (above 4x4"), so would have some detail on how large the wood would need to get to prefer this over a decent large blade, until I posted this up, but since it looks like it will be a while before it thaws around here, I will simply update it then.

In the mean time I have been loaning it out to friends, and all of them have made similar comments to what I would expect, that it cuts very well, and from memory outchops the "bowie" style blades that they have used (mine), on wood providing the wood it decently large.

-Cliff

Which model are you reviewing? I have the Hunter model which has a rounded rear to flay the hide off a moose(I'm not kidding). It is a great product but I'm still looking for a moose!

What type of steel? Stainless or Carbon? What is the Rc?

Cheers!

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

Gränsfors site can be found at http://www.gransfors.com/

I'm pretty sure they are made from carbon steel. RC? Just right for an axe.
wink.gif

The initials from the smith who made the axe is stamped in the ax, as a sign of improval.

If you can, get the Axe book as well when you buy the axe.

Mikke,

You cann even get the "Axe Book" for free by just filling in an form at their website.

It arrived within a week in Holland and it's a quality piece nicely printed and offering nice info.

I'm still trying to decide which Axe I will buy from them and we're also thinking about getting a couple of axes for our scouting club, we like the large forest axe and the medium forest axe which is bigger then the hatchet you tested.

Best scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

------------------

Thanks for the review, Cliff. I might have to get one. Anyone know if the bigger models have thicker edges?

Joe

I have the forrest axe, but I'm not sure how thick the edge on the smaller one is to compare. I will say, however, I have yet to damage the edge. I usually cut pine 2-8 inches in diameter, but have tried a good variety of wood and the tool works better than any other axe I've used. It is too light for felling very large trees efficiently. Do they make a large felling axe?
Considering the price of the best hardware store axe of the same size, these are actually very reasonably priced axes.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe Talmadge:
Anyone know if the bigger models have thicker edges?</font>
Not so much you notice on a casual inspection.

The steel is not specified, the RC is but I can't find the Axe Book at the moment, it is a differential temper, from memory I think it is in the mid to high fifties at the edge.

I don't think the edges on the larger ones are much thicker if they are at all. It is however trivial to make an edge thicker. Just put a more obtuse bevel on top of the existing one, and make it about 1-2 mm wide (wider if you want to chop hardened metal I would expect).

I'll know more about durability after I get more wood chopping done so I will be able to make a less vague statement then. I don't want to damage the edge until I get a better idea of how it performs in the NIB state.

I did some runs yesterday on some 5-6" pine and the hatchet outperformed some of the blades (Machax, PAB), hugely on the larger wood. In regards to time, I had a friend chop through several pieces of wood with the hatchet while I was using the Machax / PAB (we have similar in chopping abilities). As the wood dropped in size the other blades rapidly caught up to the hatchet. Once you drop to 2x4" sized pieces of wood they start to outperform it, but only slightly (25% or so).

-Cliff

I have a Wildlife hatchet and it is hands down the best hatchet I've ever used, FWIW. I also have the forest axe, and it also very nice but kind of a "niche" size. Not as big as a regular axe, not as small as a hatchet.

I believe they have produced a (3 lb?) felling axe, along with sundry other axes (carving and such).

BTW, I have a Firestone Belt Axe, and granted it is much shorter than Wildlife Hatchet, but I was not impressed with its chopping ability. Anybody tried a Marbles belt axe?

Cliff,

I'm hugely interested in how the gransfors compares to say a 15" HI Ang Khola. Several months ago I had my choices narrowed to these two and ended up with the AK. I'd still like to pick up the forrest axe when $$ permits.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dakota:
I'm hugely interested in how the gransfors compares to say a 15" HI Ang Khola.</font>
For the same weight, the axes perform better.
The smallest Gränsfors axe is about the same in weight as 12" khukris, of which I got a couple, so that's what I've compared.
The axe is better for everything (mainly efficiency and ergonimics), except when you need a longer edge for slashing or when choking up on it for push cutting like a knife.

------------------
Urban Fredriksson www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/

Thanks for an excellent review, Cliff!

RC57 at edge according to documentation. This would be about perfect for an axe, and would be the same as with (tempered for Australian hardwoods..)Hults axe. Hardness will be lower at back and simple file test will show this. Filing such an edge before honing is some task - unlike cheaper axes.

great reveiw on the GB's, i am considering the forest axe or the double bit axe though i'm not quite good enough to throw a 180$$ axe it might force some discipline. i have the axe book it's great it tells you everything exept the price!!

They offer a felling axe, it has a 3.3 lbs head, 4 1/2" across the face of the bit. The handle is either 31 or 35". I think I will pick up one for the summer. I severely doubt that I will take down a majority of the winter wood with it, but it will be interesting to work with.

The axe book is excellent and is actually one of the very nice aspects about Gransfors Brux. A lot of the threads in various forums are asking questions like "What is XXX model designed for?" and such. The axe book goes into detail on exactly such questions as well as giving a lot of information on basics of axe use. Shelters, Shacks and Shanties by Beard is another nice reference.

Concerning the Hatchet vs a khukuri. An 18" khukuri will readily outchop the hatchet on wood up to about 4x4 in size (roughly). As you start to get to bigger wood the contact area on the khukuri edge grows in proportion and thus reduces the impact pressure and thus the depth of the cut.

However there is a very big factor which is exactly how you are chopping. If you chop with a lot of power and a strong follow through you will get much better results out of a khukuri (or any large knife). If on the other hand you chop with more speed and use a lot of wrist snap, you will tend to do better with the axe.

The basic reason is that because the axe head is so far out compared to where you are gripping the handle, you can't actually power it into the wood by driving down. All you will do is just bend the handle down. Unless of course you actually have the wrist strength to resist the force you are driving with. There are a few people that can do this, but it is far from commom.

Back to the hatchet, the primary reason it chops as well as it does is the very thin edge grind (about 10-12 degrees, lightly convex). The downside to this is that it is not overly durable. I dented it up on a knot in a piece of scrap and recently when I got it back from a friend the whole face of the bit was covered in dents from about 1-3 mm long and about .5 to 1.5 mm deep.

I checked the scrap that it was used on, and it did contain many nails (construction debris), but I could not see any cuts. And the user was very experienced and there is a high probability he would have noticed it as it is hard to miss. As well give the size of some of the dents, it would point to a large nail and I think that a hard chop into a large nail would really ding the face of the bit significantly.

Using the flat end of a file I did manage to get rid of all but two of the larger dents as the steel there was compacted to such a degree that parts of it broke away when it was being pushed back into place. The largest dent was in the same region I remember denting it in before. I sharpened it lightly with a worn 800 grit ceramic rod and a loarded strop (CrO) and the non-damaged parts shaved easily. So basically unless you damage it, you should have little concern with sharpening.

However I don't have a strong regard for its durability on hard woods, especially if used for hard chopping, full range of motion heavy swings for example. Now it is easy to make the edge stronger just by making it a bit more obtuse but this will have a large effect on the cutting ability. If the bevels were raised up to say 15" across the face of the edge I would assume that you would have little problems with even the hardest of woods, but the hatchet would then be readily outperformed by a decent knife even on decent sized wood.

Of course the thicker primary grind on the hatchet does make it bind a lot less which can be a significant benefit on a lot of woods. For soft woods like Pine it is not that much of a problem, but binding in harder woods, especially around knots can actually increase chopping time by a factor of 2-3 with thin blades.

Hopefully I will be able to do more chopping soon and can eliminate much of the loose estimates in the above.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 03-15-2001).]

In his book "Woodcraft and Camping," Nessmuk advocates the use of a double bitted hatchet. This allows a thick grind on one face and a thinner grind on the other, suiting the hatchet for a variety of tasks.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Howard Wallace:
In his book "Woodcraft and Camping," Nessmuk advocates the use of a double bitted hatchet. This allows a thick grind on one face and a thinner grind on the other, suiting the hatchet for a variety of tasks.</font>

Howard, thanks for the double bitted hatchet idea which balances both objectives, and for the Nessmuk reference. Amazon.com has the Nessmuk book for a whopping $5.35.

Any other woodcraft type books you can recommend for more great basics?

Cliff, great review... I learn something of value from you frequently...much appreciated.

rdangerer,

I’ve found the following books on woodcraft to all have a high knowledge to price ratio.

Wildwood Wisdom – Jaeger
Camping and Woodcraft – Kephart
Mountainman Crafts and Skills – Montgomery
Survival Skills of Native California – Campbell
Bushcraft-Kochanski

You should be able to find these on Amazon. If you look at the related titles also you should get a good overview of other available titles.

"As you start to get to bigger wood the contact area on the khukuri edge grows in proportion and thus reduces the impact pressure and thus the depth of the cut."

Work in a circle around the tree when ever possible.

Will

Back