Review: Squirt S4 vs. Micra

Planterz

Іди на хуй Путін!
Platinum Member
(Cross posted in Knife Reviews & Testing)

I've been carrying a Leatherman Micra on my keyring for years. I've gone through 3 of them in fact. Small, unnoticable in the pocket, and quite possibly the most useful thing I've ever bought. My current Micra was looking a bit tired, so I decided to replace it.

Instead of another Micra, I opted for the new Squirt S4. There are 2 Squirt models. The S4 has scissors, the P4 has pliars. I got the glacier blue S4.

Firstly, the S4 is gorgeous. I really dig the blue anodizing. I don't know how well it'll hold up to pocket damage (keys, change), but it seems pretty tough.

Size: The Squirt is about 1/4 shorter in length, but is thicker. The scissors are marginally shorter, but not enough to make any real difference. I don't have a scale, but it feels slightly heavier (the product literature lists the S4 at 57 grams, the Micra at 50 grams).

The fit and finish on the entire tool is far superior to the old Micra. The slipjoint springs are much more positive than the method used on the Micra. Everything snaps into place with the feel of a quality tool. The pivots aren't adjustable like on the Micra, but this shouldn't be any problem. In fact, they feel quite nice.

The tools:

Firstly, of course, are the scissors. Much nicer than the old Micra's. The springs are basically the same type, but they have a much more positive feel to them. They are advertized as having micro-serrations. Don't expect it to be like Wenger SAK scissors, the serrations aren't nearly that pronounced. In fact, the blades themselves feel rather smooth, but the bevels feel ribbed, so I guess that's the serrations. This should give it a bit more bite, but still allows for a very clean cut on paper.

Screwdrivers: Like the Micra, there are 3: A medium flat, jeweler's flat, and one for phillips, which is flat like on the Micra (but doesn't have that stupid "FOR PHILLIPS" engraved in it). The 2 flats have the same width as on the Micra, but the phillips one has a smaller tip than on the Micra. On the S4, the bottleopener is on the larger flat screwdriver, not the skinny-ass small one. The small one is wider at the base, meaning it's much less likely to break (which I've done on 2 of my old Micras). Improvements all around, I say.

Knife: Same length as on the Micra, but slightly wider. Same chisel bevel. Absurdly sharp out of the box.

File/Nail Cleaner: Very slightly different in shape, but pretty much the same. On the reverse it has 1.5 inches and 3.5cm worth of ruler eteched into it.

Tweezers: Different from the Micra, these are very SAK style. They pull completely out, making them (IMO) fary more useful than the Micra tweezers (it's a major PITA trying to use the Micra's tweezers with 4 keys and a microlight in the way). Unlike the SAK, the tweezing points are slanted at an angle like normal grooming tweezers. The edges are sharp enough to cut skin. Extremely useful if you happen to live in a cactus infested environment like I do. My only concern is replacability. They seem pretty secure, but sh*t happens sometimes. I'm certain Leatherman can replace them, but I doubt knife shops will carry replacements like they do for SAKs. In case you're wondering, Victorinox tweezers DO fit in the S4, but the plastic bit sticks out. IIRC, Wenger's are all metal witout the plastic bit, and might fit the S4. They wouldn't fit perfectly (the S4's are at an angle), but better than the VNox. My only complaint about the tweezers is that they're not zircon-encrusted.*

Ergonomics: This is the biggie. Since the blades open out while closed (ala blades on the Wave and Juices), the scissors are FAR more comfortable to use because of the rounded edges. There also isn't those goofy-ass tweezers compressing under your grip. Also, the dimensions are semetrical on the S4 so the scissors compress more easily without binding. UNLIKE the Wave (don't know about the Juices), the tool is also comfortable to use closed (the edges on my Wave really dig into my hands). Since they all open out, access is quicker and easier.

The biggest difference is when using the blade. I've always considered the blade on my Micra to be next-to-useless. It's a PITA to get to, the keys get in the way, as does the opposite handle. I only ever used it when I didn't want to risk bunging up my large EDC knife (like on foil jar seals at work). Even then, I usually opened it halfway so the opposite handle and keys weren't in the way.

Everything's different on the S4. The blade is easily accessable, the keyring is on the opposite side so there's no keys to get in the way, and there's no opposite handle in the way either. The blade on my S4 will actually see some use unlike on my old Micra.

Also of note, all the blades on the S4 are thicker than on the Micra. It's very slight (barely noticable), but they are definitely thicker. That means they're stronger

The new Leatherman Squirt S4 is an improvement over the Micra in every single way I can see. If you have a Micra, get yourself a Squirt. I imagine the P4 (pliars model) would be extremely useful as well if you don't need scissors (differences are a larger file for wood/metal, pliars with wirecutters, an awl, and no tweezers).

I got mine through amazon.com for $30 and free shipping (took 5 days including weekend).

Get one. Your pocket will love it.

Great review.

You're right about the finish. Mine is a year old and about 15% of the finish is worn away.

Hmm... The scissors on mine do not have micro-serrations -- from the original introduction two that I own, to another one I just got last week.

The finish is pretty tough, but it will wear (it chips away on the edges) -- my HA-III anodized ARC AAA LE flashlight on the same keychain was responsible for a year's worth of wear in a few weeks. I wish, I wish, they'd make a HA-III version of the Squirt. But if you don't have something like the ARC in your pocket, the Squirt's anodizing is pretty resistant to normal key-induced scratches.

You left out one of the best features of the Squirt vs. the Micra. The Squirt won't open up in your pocket when you pull out your keys.

Good review! I have both tools also. When I was searching for a replacement for the Micra, I tried an SOG CrossCut, which was a disappointing experience. I'm happy with the S4.

I find that the phillips head screwdriver on the Micra works better on large screws than the S4 does. The S4 is better for very small screws though, like on the back of Photon lights. The finish on the S4 does chip and scratch fairly easily. It seems to be a different and less durable finish than what is on my Juices. Also, the scissors on my S4 do not have any serrations. I don't know what advantage that would be.

Great review! Thanks. I was on the fence about getting a Squirt S4 or a LM Micra. I guess I'll have to move the Squirt from the "maybe" list to the "definitely" queue.

Hello

Here you can view a photo-album comparing my LM Micra vs LM Squirt P4 and others LM tools.
http://www.knifetools.descom.es/LM/

And a few samples:
Thumb_DSC06049.JPG
Thumb_DSC06051.JPG
Thumb_DSC06052.JPG

Thumb_DSC06006.JPG
Thumb_DSC06010.JPG

Best regards.
Oskar.

Thanks for the detailed review. I've got a micra that I've used for the past eight years, but I want to upgrade it to a Squirt.

Question: should I get the silver color (Storm) due to the fact that the andonized finish seems to scratch off easliy? I'm just wondering which one will look the best after two years in my pocket. It seems like when they grey finish scratches off, there's just grey colored metal underneath. When the red or blue scratches off, it will look more beat up.

Can any owners comment on this? Is it a big deal?

Thanks!

I have been carrying a S4 since they came out on my Keyring. The blue wears off around the edges somewhat quickly but dosent seem to get any worse after the first few months. Great tool. The only thing I would do is put a real edge on the reamer.

I have been carrying around my squirt S4 for several months now and the blue paint is holding pretty well on my "normal" keychain. I personally think the Squirt is the best keychain sized multi tool

Hey Guys...

These are what you guys need for your Micra's and P4/S4

clippersheath.jpg

keychainstuff1.gif

blink.jpg

These holsters allow you to remove the Squirt, Micra or Crosscut completely from your keys, then snap the tool back into the holster.... It's a Very secure way to carry it, and allows full access to tool....

ttyle

Eric....

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the pics, though I have to admit I'm not that crazy about the look of the holsters... Up until recently, I had my micra connected to a release-style valet keychain, so I'd press a button and it would detach.

What are other people using to connect their micras / squirts / other mini-tools to their keychains? I got rid of the quick release system that I had because it was over an inch long and I didn't like the bulk.

The hook style quick-release that comes with the new Photon Freedom microlight seems like it might work, but it still seems bulky. Can anyone recommend a very small, low-profile quick-release? I think the micra/squirt is more useful when you can remove it fully, so the keys aren't in the way.

I'm still deciding on what color to get!

bbarlen,

I recommend that you get the silver colored one. When the anodizing wears off, it's not so noticable.
I replaced the standard keyring that comes with it with one from a Vic SAK which is a little bigger. Then, I went to a boat store and picked up the stainless version of the small carabiner in Normark's last picture. The aloy one of mine like his in the picture wore out too easily.
With the larger keyring from the SAK, the S4 easily slides around the 'biner without getting hung up and you can remove it easily.

Back