Riddle Me Peanut

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
What defines the Peanut style? Case Peanuts seem to get the most attention, maybe because of numbers, but I assume other companies make the Peanut style as well. I've found other examples by Kissing Crane with different blade configurations. I've seen a custom peanut with a single blade rather than the usual two. I found the following definition (quoted) on Wikipedia under "slipjoint." But not every example I've found had the ovaloid shape. So I'm wondering what the distinguishing factors might be?

Peanut -- a very small (3" or less) pocketknife, with a slightly irregular ovaloid shape resembling an elongated peanut. Generally with two blades of different sizes/profiles opening from the same end.

For instance, would this little Schrade be considered a Peanut? It measures about 3 1/4" closed, has a 2 7/8" clip point blade, and a 1 3/8" pen blade. Do those measurements (especially the closed dimension) put it out of the Peanut range? Does the lack of oval bolsters disqualify it from Peanut status? Is it just a "pen knife"?

FFA.jpg

Side note: I found a couple of these knives at a local flea market in new/unused condition and bought them both. I sent one of them to my high school FFA advisor along with a thank you letter for his efforts way back then. I think he enjoyed the gesture as I later received a very kind letter in return.

Thats a good question. To me, the Case Peanut defines what a peanut is supposed to be, but I have no basis for that except that I like Case knives. If another maker's knife looks like the Case peanut, then I call it a peanut.

I suppose that a "real" peanut knife might have a vague shape like the tuber we call a peanut, just as a sowbelly has a "belly" and a canoe slipjoint is shaped like a canoe. On the other hand, perhaps its called a peanut based only in its size.

So, who knows. :thumbup:

Because of the name, I would think that the handle shape is the defining feature.
I would call the knife you posted a small jack.

Peter

The shape argument makes the most sense to me. Here, however, is the Kissing Crane version (mentioned above) listed on A.G. Russell's site. Note the blade configuration is different from the Case peanuts, and one of the bolsters looks more squared off than the other. Indeed though, one bolster does have a distinctive oval shape.

Kissing Crane™ Small 2 Blade Peanut – Ram's Horn
HAL-KC9219RH.jpg

I agree, it's the shape that makes a peanut.

Some bits and pieces from page 185 of Levine's Guide 4th edition.

Several standard jack knife handles have a more or less S-curve shape. Sometimes called serpentine jack.
Unlike premium jacks, serpentine jack usually have their blades in the narrower end.
The small 2 3/4 inches or so round-ended serpentine jack is now called a peanut. Larger round end serpentine jacks are often called dog-leg jack

So I would say a peanut is a small serpentine jack with a rounded head end.

So I would say a peanut is a small serpentine jack with a rounded head end.

Thanks, Thomason. You should write for Wikipedia.

Guess I'll have to break down and buy a Case Peanut with Chrome Vanadium blades.

"The small 2 3/4 inches or so round-ended serpentine jack is now called a peanut. Larger round end serpentine jacks are often called dog-leg jack."

I once asked about this old knife, and Bernard called it a serpentine jack. I guess dog-leg jack would be alternate designation. It's definitely bigger than your average Peanut.

HF1.jpg

Here's a camillus peanut,

P1010001.jpg

And a Catt that is just 3/8 bigger and it is describes as a serpentine Jack, but the same basic shape.Maybe a dogleg? The seller called it a mini trapper.Peanuts look like mini trappers to me.

P1010007-3.jpg

This Ulster, I thought might be a peanut, because its the same size, but it is described as a serpentine Jack.

P1010131-1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree Case defines the true peanut shape with the pointed upper bolster

peanut_PA.jpg

While the Schrades and Ulsters are great and have the same blades, they are more of a mini-trapper shape, with the squared off top bolster.

SchradeWaldenPeachseedPeanutLone-2.jpg

I think the bolster shapes help give the Case the classic peanut shape. There is also a touch more curvature on both sides of the handle.

So...

• s-shape
  • rounded end, particularly the upper (tip end) bolster
  • blades (usually two) that pivot from the narrow end
  • small overall size

In the current Case lineup, I only see the CV Peanut offerings as red bone and yellow plastic. No amber bone. :(

I once asked about this old knife, and Bernard called it a serpentine jack. I guess dog-leg jack would be alternate designation. It's definitely bigger than your average Peanut.

HF1.jpg

Thats a beauty Guyon.. Very nice bone.

Thats a beauty Guyon.. Very nice bone.

That one is a Honk Falls knife, made in Napanoch back in the 20's. The plant burned down in '29 if I remember right. Belong to my grandfather. My dad traded him out of it, and it was passed down to me eventually. I've posted it in this forum a time or two before.

HF3.jpg

A terrific lookin knife and it has great family history too..
Doesn't get much better than that :thumbup: It reminds me of a slim trapper.

IMO, the legacy of a good quality knife spanning multiple generations is the appeal of the traditional pocket knife. God willin' and the creek don't rise, my grandsons will carry my knives, and wonder what I cut with them! Great thread, I was peanut challenged until now.

IMO, the legacy of a good quality knife spanning multiple generations is the appeal of the traditional pocket knife. God willin' and the creek don't rise, my grandsons will carry my knives, and wonder what I cut with them! Great thread, I was peanut challenged until now.

Agreed. I found out late that Schrade had gone under, and I went on a buying spree back then. There are several put back for my son, but hopefully, they'll be spares, and he'll be able to carry the same ones I do.

Thanks Guyon,
Never thought of that.....I have 4 boys, twins-mine, and 2 stepsons. I collect the Old Timer series of Schrade, and now you have given me reason not to stop at only one of each model!

Thanks Guyon,
Never thought of that.....I have 4 boys, twins-mine, and 2 stepsons. I collect the Old Timer series of Schrade, and now you have given me reason not to stop at only one of each model!

I haven't bought any slipjoints in a while, but I need to pick up at least two or three slipjoints from Camillus, since those are getting harder to find.

I have been looking for those, Catts, and Fightin Roosters. I hope we do not bid against each other! The Camillus I have been watching have been selling at very reasonable prices, right around Schrade costs. I let a Big Chief by Queen slip by (got busy) and no one even bid on it, could have had it for $5! plus shipping. There was a write up on BF with decent review on that long knife with the aluminum handle, so now of course, it is on my radar.

Back to the original thread.... I still have no peanut in my collection!

Back