How To Rocks

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
Hello Knife People!

I’ve been having fun finding and flattening sharpening stones for awhile now.

Much of what I’ve learned has been through trial and error, and I wanted to pass along some of the information I’ve gathered.

First off - many kinds of rocks will work to some degree. I freehand sharpen and through lots of practice I’ve been able to sharpen on rocks that weren’t even flat (although flat rocks are MUCH easier for obvious reasons).

Essentially, if the rock is hard enough to scratch the blade, it should also scratch metal off the edge/sharpen.

Some rocks are better than others however.

The two types that I’ve had the most success with are sandstone (coarse grit) and chert/novaculite (finer grit).

Btw: I’m not trained in geology - the info below may have errors but I believe it paints the correct picture.

Sandstone is a sedimentary rock comprised of sand-sized grains of silica - mostly quartz or feldspar. Quartz and feldspar are both very hard and will cut most steels.

Chert and novaculite also begin as sedimentary rocks and are different degrees of the same material. Chert is formed on the ocean floor from the dead bodies of diatomaceous organisms. The exoskeletons of these organisms are made of silica, and after time and pressure that material metamorphoses into chalcedony which is microcrystalline silicon dioxide. After more time and pressure this metamorphoses into microcrystalline quartz grains, and at this point the material is called novaculite. Flint, jasper and opal are types of chert. (Obsidian, which can look like chert, is actually volcanic glass and doesn’t make a great sharpening stone).

“Arkansas stone” refers to chert/novaculite found in/around Arkansas, but there are chert deposits in most U.S. states.

Chert comes in many colors but is always hard, fine grained, and exhibits “conchoidal fracturing” like obsidian. See example on the lower right portion of this rock:
5C9B55A1-0BF5-4E4F-8A3F-61C6D44B5A8C.jpeg

These stones live in my kitchen.
12439BB0-1C90-474A-A603-C7AF2BD7AA52.jpeg

The first two on the left in the following pic are sandstone, the next three are chert, and the last one is extremely fine grained but unidentified (maybe bassalt?). Found it being used as base rock for a railway:
8913F757-8484-4A1E-BA9D-FDF2AC8DB7AF.jpeg

Here they are again showing the non-flat sides. Notice the black/white bands on the larger chert rock:
995FA645-3DA4-47AC-95BF-BA1557296FF2.jpeg

Other materials can also work - trial and error has shown me that many fossils work well. The upper-left stone in the pic below is fossilized whale bone:
15478A5F-DFD6-4E0D-A0ED-B49D0568DADE.jpeg

I live on the central CA coast near the Monterey chert formation and find most of my chert (and other sharpening rocks) on the beaches here. A nice haul of mostly sandstone:
441AFA7D-6C54-4E39-B95C-3558D45D0041.jpeg

Regardless of the type of rock, there are some specific qualities to look for.

1) Overall size/shape. Ideally you can find rocks that are already somewhat flat on one side like several in the picture above. This will save you some work. I typically look for rocks at least as big around as a silver dollar, all the way up to “bench stones” that might weigh a couple of pounds. In general, rocks that fit the hand well are best.

2) Inclusions/cracks. Inclusions are just gaps in the material - maybe filled with other minerals or maybe just empty space. This isn’t really a problem with coarse stones, and in fact probably helps with metal removal. In fine grained stones occlusions should be avoided for the most part if possible. Cracked rocks should be avoided.

3) Grain size/consistency. This can be difficult to ascertain but you can usually get a good sense without cutting into the rock. Ideally, fine-grained rocks should have no inclusions. I believe the “best” Arkansas/Japanese stones are fine grained with no inclusions.

Typical quartz and granite is hard enough to sharpen and fine grained, but the large crystal structure doesn’t lend itself to making sharpeners.

More rocks in progress:
5144DF34-B56B-4B81-9410-F417968A72FD.jpeg

Flattening can be tricky. I’ve been pretty low-tech about it and can get good results but it takes some time. I usually start with a diamond impregnated wheel that fits on my angle grinder. Then I use a paving stone, water, and different grits of Silicon Carbide (SiC) powder which is available online, and grind away.
290A015F-FF37-48E0-B4EE-F62312088495.jpeg

Sandstone is comparatively easy to flatten, and chert is relatively difficult/time consuming.

Flattening many stones will start to create a hollow section in the middle of the paver (you can minimize this by using the whole surface of the paver). At that point I usually just switch pavers, but in theory you can just rub two of them together with some SiC powder to flatten it up again.

Rocks in waiting outside:
294A5CF1-1BBC-4FC1-9077-4865D1DBCA1E.jpeg

Flatness is a relative term. Extreme flatness isn’t necessary for most sharpening stones, but for razors, sashimi knives, etc. it’s more important. When you move towards extremely flat, fine-grained stones, you’ll start experiencing an interesting phenomenon called “sticktion”. This is the feeling of suction/stickiness between two flat/smooth objects. I first felt stiction while rubbing two fine rocks together with some 1 micron diamond spray between them as an abrasive. As they became very flat they began sticking together. It’s a weird but good feeling. Even better is getting sticktion between the stone and the edge (easier with a broad bevel like a scandi grind). I’ve only experienced that a few times as I’m not really an edge-chaser, but it’s pretty cool to be able to get to that level. Very sharp edges from this as you might expect.

Natural stones have more of a tendency to clog than synthetic stones which are designed to break-down quickly to reveal fresh grit. To maintain clog-free stones, I typically just use the back (non-flat) side of one of my other sharpening rocks to roughen-up the surface. Finer grit stones get finer grit roughing-up.

These are sitting in front on the TV and are the next ones to get the treatment. There’s another fossil on the lower left:
E05C5559-4627-464B-9342-AEE92478DFC6.jpeg

I’m obviously a bit obsessed with these. I probably have more sharpeners than knives at this point. I really like the hunt, and the discovery of how each rock will perform keeps me interested.

Note - natural stones aren’t usually as effective/fast at removing steel as diamonds or ceramics, and I use those in my sharpening as well…

Please feel free to post your “naturals” and hit me up with any questions.

Cheers,
Scdub

Last edited:
Part of why certain kinds of stone were especially prized as sharpening stones and internationally traded was not merely because they were capable of removing steel, but because they had the right mix of wear rate, abrasive density and uniformity, and so on, so that fewer of the problems you mention would occur. A lot of micaceous schists are well suited to sharpening stone use, for instance, because of the way they'll wear to expose fresh grit. Soft slate with good quartz content tends to work well, too. I happen to have some deposits of black siliceous siltstone near me that makes very nice fine finishing stones for plain carbon steels.

Part of why certain kinds of stone were especially prized as sharpening stones and internationally traded was not merely because they were capable of removing steel, but because they had the right mix of wear rate, abrasive density and uniformity, and so on, so that fewer of the problems you mention would occur. A lot of micaceous schists are well suited to sharpening stone use, for instance, because of the way they'll wear to expose fresh grit. Soft slate with good quartz content tends to work well, too. I happen to have some deposits of black siliceous siltstone near me that makes very nice fine finishing stones for plain carbon steels.
That makes sense. I’ve got one piece of slate but I haven’t finished flattening it or used it yet. I’ll certainly look up micaceous schist and siliceous siltstone so I’ll recognize it when I see it. Thanks!

I've used a "pick up" rock to sharpen one of my SAKs a few times. No need to flaten the rock as long as it is large enough to hold and draw a knife blade on it. Doesn't get a razor edge, but usable edge in a pinch.

Made a good score on the beach yesterday. Found three sandstone rocks that are nearly flat already on one side. They go from coarse to extra coarse and are a nice size for freehand.

I’m HOPING the big rock on top is CA jadite. If it is (or even if it just takes a tough edge) I plan to use it as an axe head. :D

A8C67AFE-91C5-49D9-AD8B-21496BA1CF82.jpeg918E0C4E-FCA9-4A05-90D1-D29CB1FAB0C4.jpeg05F1FC7E-8F5D-4C36-BCA6-7052E36FD9D5.jpeg

…I seem to be moving backwards in time in regards to tools…

48020EB2-C092-4007-BB8D-FD8620E8C2D0.jpeg960A1D5F-DCBC-4C7A-94E2-503A02C6A7DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Made a good score on the beach yesterday. Found three sandstone rocks that are nearly flat already on one side. They go from coarse to extra coarse and are a nice size for freehand.

I’m HOPING the big rock on top is CA jadite. If it is (or even if it just takes a tough edge) I plan to use it as an axe head. :D

View attachment 2027352View attachment 2027355View attachment 2027354

…I seem to be moving backwards in time in regards to tools…

View attachment 2027369View attachment 2027368
That's pretty cool. What kind of wood did you find for the haft?

North of you considerably, but I also pick up sandstone when I go to the beach. Usually I take a dull beater knife along and try them out briefly.

Also have a nice slab of moss agate from a local rock/gem show. Everybody there was looking at rocks, and I’m rubbing my dull knife blade on them….

A few vendors were sympathetic, one let me sort through a box of scrap slabs he had.

Parker

I was trying to figure out a low-key way to test out rocks at our local annual gem show too. I was thinking about making a tiny piece of hardened 5160 to take around for scratch testing. It didn’t occur to me to just ask to try out an edge on them! :)

This agate was all I ended up getting. I still need to flatten it but then I’m hoping it’ll make a good finishing stone for my straight razor. (Purple squiggly line is the high spot).

65F61A14-3134-4719-A95D-AD40F015CA21.jpeg

I was trying to figure out a low-key way to test out rocks at our local annual gem show too. I was thinking about making a tiny piece of hardened 5160 to take around for scratch testing. It didn’t occur to me to just ask to try out an edge on them! :)

This agate was all I ended up getting. I still need to flatten it but then I’m hoping it’ll make a good finishing stone for my straight razor. (Purple squiggly line is the high spot).

View attachment 2027806
I think my sharpest edges come off of jaspers and petrified wood. I don't create edges on those hard stones but use them to bump edges that are good already. I find the edges to be comfortable as well. They are bloody unforgiving though, so not daily drivers, I really have to watch what I'm doing. I guess that speaks to my skill level more than anything else.

I'm not at all done experimenting with those stones. The local rock shops are a great source.

I've always wondered about random rocks, thanks for sharing, Try Scottchen 8" diamond flap wheels for flattening, they're about $14 on amazon and seem to work as good as the $100 diamond stones, but they're bigger, and round.

I've always wondered about random rocks, thanks for sharing, Try Scottchen 8" diamond flap wheels for flattening, they're about $14 on amazon and seem to work as good as the $100 diamond stones, but they're bigger, and round.
Yeah I’ve found that many random rocks actually work well as long as they’re roughly the right shape and have a consistent grain structure.

If I’m not sure about how a new rock will perform, I’ll just flatten a small section to test it.

Thanks for the tip on the diamond wheels! I think you were talking about something like this:
29DD83DD-E11F-4F0D-96EE-92C2ABEAD409.jpeg
I’m sure these work great but I don’t have the turntable that they’re usually used with (although I suppose it might work just as a bench stone - is that what you were suggesting??).

Anyway while I was looking around I also came across these wheels which also mount to an angle grinder but which I think might be a good intermediate step between my hard diamond cup grinder and the paving stone… Gonna order one today and I’ll let you know how it works. :)
9BF47A2E-C038-4708-A8FD-B355A428E8FA.jpeg

yep, works great as a bench stone, or like sand paper. I have not tried the Z lion, but I think it would be harder to get a flat surface with that.

yep, works great as a bench stone, or like sand paper. I have not tried the Z lion, but I think it would be harder to get a flat surface with that.
Hmmmmm.

Yeah I take your point re: the flexible nature of the other type not flattening as well…

I’m guessing you use the coarse grit on the flat wheel? I’m guessing it might take material off of hard stones better than SiC grit so for the price I might try it. Thanks again.

Those experimenting with natural rocks, you are amazing! You are simply doing what our ancestors did when they were at the far end of the supply line. They had to use whatever was reach. Looking for natural rocks and using them to sharpen is totally hard core! :thumbsup:

I will stick to the rocks quarried by others. I am lazy.

Zx5nG15.jpg

I got out to my favorite chert beach yesterday and found some nice rocks.

Although they look very diverse, these are actually ALL Monterey formation chert.

I wasn’t sure about the orange rock in the middle of the last pictures, and ALMOST left it on the beach thinking it wasn’t chert because it’s so smooth and uniform and without chips/fractures, BUT when I got it under the microscope at home it proved to be chert as well.

This is exciting to me, (perhaps much too exciting from the perspective of my wife as I was telling her about it last night 😅), because the yellow/orange hue chert tends to have very fine grain and few inclusions.

I’m hoping that orange stone might be the first rock I’ve ever found that will work as a finishing stone for my straight razor.

Be still my heart! 😄

093767DB-72C1-4BEB-94A8-F6BD41A7598A.jpeg841F0DD8-1059-415D-9448-FC4F720DD0AF.jpegBB1A7DFB-9F90-4EF8-A5D6-DFB406DBDE18.jpeg
55E4C644-4AF6-4687-959C-8D5A0A835C70.jpeg2C7CDD7C-244D-4418-95D4-1A7C633DB722.jpeg

Back