Rockstead Knowledge Thread

If you've been on the fence about shelling out the $ for a Rockstead, might consider the Chou to start.

Just got this little beauty and let me tell you...it's absolutely flawless in design and materials. Just unreal.

I got it second hand so feel good about actually using and reviewing it. So far it hasn't let me down.

Did a 1/2" poly cord cut and made it through with zero effort. The sharpest knife I've ever owned. It's just plain scary.

This is also the smallest neck knife I've ever owned but feels fine in my large hands. Don't recommend it if you're an xl.

if you you're looking for a taste of the Rockstead legacy, this would be it. I'm a believer now and am looking at a Higo next.

Thank you all that have contributed to sharing their knowledge of Rockstead and their opinions. You've been very helpful.

uqJBMhH.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Brother!

I wish more people would shell out the $ for a Rockstead. I see a lot of people who say they can't afford them, but ironically, the same people own 5-10 $200 knives... Well do the math lol...

Great company, amazing knives, and legendary sharpness. More people need to have one.

I really have regretted selling my Higo ever since I made that mistake.

I have definitely thought about getting a Chou though...if I hadn't spent too much money recently already, I would probably have gotten one on my most recent buying spree.

Definitely up high on the list.

That looks really nice and wont break the bank. I may have to pull the trigger on one of those. I hesitate for 2 reasons. 1-It may be a gateway knife and get me addicted to Rocksteads which would break the bank and 2-I might be scared having something that sharp close to my neck ;)

Recently, I was at the Northeast Knife show in Marlborough, MA. A gentleman handed me his Rockstead knife to check out. It was an $1,100 model. It was very nice. I had never heard of these knives before. The knife exhibited excellent craftsmanship. I must say, that is a lot of money for a production knife. My question is why are the Rockstead knives so high priced?

Recently, I was at the Northeast Knife show in Marlborough, MA. A gentleman handed me his Rockstead knife to check out. It was an $1,100 model. It was very nice. I had never heard of these knives before. The knife exhibited excellent craftsmanship. I must say, that is a lot of money for a production knife. My question is why are the Rockstead knives so high priced?

They're production knives in a somewhat loose sense of the word, as the polished blades are achieved by hand. Why the high price? The complexity of the machining (many of them have convex grinds that change angle towards the tip), the amount of time spent polishing the blades, the high quality materials, the time it takes to machine said extremely wear resistant materials, the outrageous attention to detail and precision, the cost of Japanese labor, etc. At this point, some of it is probably reputation too.

I don't think I've heard of anyone who has bought one and said "meh". I'm about ready to do what Blues Bender mentioned and sell a bunch of ~$250 knives to buy a Rockstead Higo.

They're production knives in a somewhat loose sense of the word, as the polished blades are achieved by hand. Why the high price? The complexity of the machining (many of them have convex grinds that change angle towards the tip), the amount of time spent polishing the blades, the high quality materials, the time it takes to machine said extremely wear resistant materials, the outrageous attention to detail and precision, the cost of Japanese labor, etc. At this point, some of it is probably reputation too.

I don't think I've heard of anyone who has bought one and said "meh". I'm about ready to do what Blues Bender mentioned and sell a bunch of ~$250 knives to buy a Rockstead Higo.

I can't speak about using one but in hand it was one of the more impressive knives I've held and that includes knives from several of the more well reputed custom makers. It's hard to see why via photographs. In hand its much easier to see, though it's still hard for me to fathom spending that kind of money on a knife that doesn't have a solid gold handle.

They look pretty nice. The handles are dura-aluminum, which is a copper aluminum alloy. I have never heard of it. The ray skin insert was very interesting as well. The guy I met at the show was a sharpness freak, he used the knife for edc. It must be nice to be able to afford an $1,100 knife to keep in your pocket.

Last edited:
Rocksteads are the most expensive knives I've actually seen people regularly use, as opposed to fondle and store in a safe. That says a lot to me.

It might just be the kind of person the knife attracts, though - it's designed to be the cuttingest thing you've ever held, so, for people who actually use their knives, it's pretty ideal.

Maybe when I'm making 6 figures, I'll justify carrying around a $1100 knife. For now, I think my cap is about $450... Only because the Reate Steelcraft Begg Kwaiken costs that much.

As to the idea that people who have 3-5 $200 could sell them and get a Rockstead... Well, I kinda fall into that category, but I value variety. I have something closer to a dozen $50-175 knives, but I carry and use all of them on different days and for different reasons. Also, losing one of those would hurt a lot less than losing a Rockstead.

I only carry and use knives I can afford to use and lose. The Kwaiken will likely be my first exception to that, because goddamn do I want one so bad it hurts my heart.

I feel your pain. Sometimes a knife will haunt us like a spirit. We love knives and the knives know this and call out to us. My thought was the same as yours in regards to losing a knife so costly. If I lose my Mini Sere or a custom knife under $400, that would be a real drag, but to lose a $1100-$1500 tool would be a nightmare for me. I have many good knives and it is hard to sell them.

Last edited:
By the way, I won almost $700 shooting craps at Imperial Palace in Las Vegas. I took the money off the table and went to the big knife store there and bought my Al Mar Mini Sere with my winnings. No way those people are getting that money back because I always consume merchandise and gourmet dinners at Piero's.

Meh... If I lost my Rocky, then oh well. I definately can't afford to piss away $1,200, but there is more to life than a sharp shiny object. Life is too short to not carry your $1,000+ Rocky.

My Higo rides in a leather belt sheath which holds it pretty securely. I don't even think about the price when I carry it. I carry it just like any other knife; it's all about your state of mind.

159E44FB-1942-45E0-9D9B-E3C0798F51E3_zpsjcfigpsr.jpg

I can't stand those bug eye looking thumb studs on that knife. It's a really beautiful design aside from those things looking at me. It freaks me out :)

BC4FHwm.jpg

Last edited:
I sold my Shin in YXR7 to soon replace it with a Shin and Higo in ZDP189.

I have owned many many expensive knives (customs and midtechs) none of them were even close to being as nice as the Shin. Smoother, more solid and sharper than can be imagined.

I can't stand those bug eye looking thumb studs on that knife. It's a really beautiful design aside from those things looking at me. It freaks me out :)

I love them!!!

The length and shape of them actually enhances the ergonomics. When placing your thumb on the jimping, the thumbstuds give you more purchase to press on.

I have been looking at the Chou's for the past year and have finally decided to grab one - hopefully sooner than later.

Congrats!

That's good to know that there are people with Rocksteads around. I was contemplating going to that show in Sept but I'll be headed there in November instead. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one. Mainly a production & custom slipjoint guy at the moment but considering going back to carrying moderns. The thing that obviously drew me to slipjoints is the same thing that has drawn me to a Rockstead..the cutting capabilities.

Last edited:
Back