RoseCraft Knives

So why bother putting a sticker on it at all? Personally, I don't care where it was made.
I believe it's to be in compliance with the Tariff Act of 1930, specifically Section 304, which mandates that every imported item into the United States must be marked with its country of origin.

The marking must be legible, indelible, and permanent enough to remain on the product until it reaches the consumer. Failure to comply can result in the goods being denied entry and other penalties.

I only have one example, the barlow. There wasn't much to complain about! I was most impressed that the spring was flush in all 3 positions. Is this true for most of their knives?
I just checked the few I have handy, Appalachian Jack, Little Riverbend Skinner, and Beaver Creek Barlow - and they're flush in all 3 positions. I'll try to check the rest of my Rosecraft hoard tomorrow. 🤣
It's quite impressive they're able to do this while keeping other areas of fit and finish on point. I've been on the fence about the coffin jack. Might just finally pull the trigger.

I like the clip shape and nail nick. Rat tailed bolsters. Apparently they are stamping the tang now (at least on one side) instead of etching it. All steel construction. D2 steel. 3.5" closed, which is within my preferred size range. I even like the covers. Kind of reminds me of the Barlow Bearcat barlow.
So, I did pull the trigger on the Rosecraft Coffin Jack. I'm pretty impressed! Have to nit pick quite a bit to find flaws. Apologies in advance as I took a lot of pictures. I think there are a lot of things we all look for when determining fit and finish. And, I wanted to be thorough while showing others what to expect.

The covers are fit quite nicely. The show side end cap has the ever so slightest gap between the cap and the cover. Same on the pile side between the cover and the pivot bolster. The rat tail / fluting has a small defect on the show side. Pins are all flush. No gaps in the backspring. Spring terminations are nice and square. Blade perfectly centered. Sits well inside the blade well. A stop pin to prevent blade rap. One odd (unusual?) design choice is how the halfstop is implemented. Granted, I can't complain. Backspring is flush in all 3 positions. But, it's like they designed a cam tang and cut a hollow out of it to make the halfstop. Pull is about a 6 or 6.5. Blade jumps to open, close, and halfstop positions. The tang stamp (not etch!) is done well enough. The clip is well executed in my mind. Good nail nick and nice swedge. There is an ever so slight recurve near the heel, which I'd rather not have. No blade play.

All in all, honestly, fit and finish is as good as some/most of my GECs. I only own one GEC that is flush in all 3 positions. And, maybe 2 that are all steel construction. Maybe my biggest complaint is one that I've noticed as a sort of "trend" with many "GEC alternatives". All of these alternatives are much thicker in the hand than GECs or older traditional knives that I own. I think they do this to give them more room to work; a larger margin for error. It's mind blowing how thin my oldest Case knife is. And, it's two blades on two springs. It is the one thing I'd like to see improved on Rosecrafts, Rough Ryders/Reserves, even Case. But, thickness of the knife and the slight recurve in the clip is my only true complaint on this coffin jack. This knife is hands down better than any modern Case knife that I own fit and finish wise and nicer than all of my Rough Ryders/Reserves. Those who aren't buying Rosecraft, in my opinion, are missing out on some very nice knives.

This one came in today and it's totally worth dragging this thread back up to the front page for.

7ez1uuz.jpeg

Rosecraft Blades' Nolichucky Jack is a winner. Blade perfectly centered, razor sharp, rock solid with no play or wobble, and flush at all three positions. Pull is an easy 5, but only barely pinchable, no nailbreaker here in any case - additionally, they've really got the action geometry dialed in compared to, say, the Appalachian Jack whose action is alarmingly snappy - but more in a jarring way than a fun one.

Slim, but with a nice heft courtesy of its all steel construction. The pinched, integral-to-the-liners, and rat-tailed bolsters are a nice touch from both the perspectives of aesthetics and durability. Looking at the back, no gaps anywhere, all surfaces are just about perfectly mated, only at the half-stop position can I see where the liners end and the spring begins - at fully open and closed they look like a single piece of metal.

Is it perfect? Execution-wise, I'd say yes. I can't find a flaw. Design-wise, I'd say almost. The color is a neat departure from the whites, blacks, oranges, and reds that have made up the majority of Rosecraft's releases thus far, but it's so slick, so smooth, and so polished - that it almost feels like it's missing a little bit of "soul" for lack of a better descriptor.

The bone is beautifully finished, but maybe I'd have preferred it left with a more primitive finish or with some organic jigging? Add to that, the fact that the D2 blade will never patina like a true carbon steel and we're wading pretty deep into "then why should I care?" territory. Well, it intrigued me that the designer stated that he based it on an old I*XL pattern, perhaps like the example shown at the top in the catalog image below - minus the pen blade, of course.

pVC9k57.jpeg

I got a Briarpatch Jack in as well and I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the bellied "lambsfoot" blade, nor the angle at which it sits when open. I don't hate it. But it doesn't blow my socks off.

Am I asking too much from Rosecraft? I don't think so. They've demonstrated that they're capable of producing very refined knives of exceptional quality. What I'd like to see going forward would be some organic-style jigging, more colors and cover material options, CARBON STEEL, less out-of-the-box thinking (sheepsfoots and lambsfoots do not need any belly...) - we're taking about traditionals here, more designs inspired by historic examples, a US factory (but without a massive price hike or slip in quality) and for the love of God above and regardless of country of origin - can we please get some CARBON STEEL in the mix??

Back