Rough Rider Firesteel

Moosez45

Custom Antlers, Factory Knives...
Ok, I've been sick, but thanks to modern pharmacuticals, and RN Jack Daniels, I'm feeling much better. So today, the Lady and I headed to the Smoky Mountain Knife Works, the Mecca of all knifers out there.

Now, my knife budget this month exceeded $300, I was not going to buy any knives, I actually went to buy my 5yr old a BB gun. But, its the Knife Works, so of course I had to buy something.

I bought this,

100_1746.jpg

Its a Rough Rider firesteel. It has a walnut handle, engraved with the RR logo, 3/8" x 3", and it comes with a striker. So what you ask? Well first off, its $5.99, second is the spark. Now, most have used the LMF and the GoingGear firesteels. I like the GG firesteels, because they throw globs of hot metal. Easy to catch your tinder, IF you manage to get the molten globs on your tinder. I like the LMF, because they are easy to control, but you don't get that molten glob action.

Enter the Rough Rider RR-1041, its a hard steel like the LMF, and it throw globs like the GG. Go figure. If you do a hard fast swipe, you get the globs, but if you do a slow, scrape, you get the control of the LMF, plus, little globs of motlen metal. I will do a little more in depth write up a little later. Even though I am feeling better, I'm still prone to fatigue and weakness. That and I'm pretty drunk, too.

The only place I can find these, are at SMKW and a "discount" cutlery seller. BUT, wait theres more. I am going to talk to the guys at SMKW, and see if I can work out a Beckerhead deal. I'll let ya know.

Now, ya'll may think, WTF does this have to do with Becker knives. Well, one, I used my BK14 as a striker, and second, these things are inexpensive, and work real well, the basic foundation of Becker Knife and Tool.

Moose

That looks pretty nifty. Is there a model number? I'm trying to find them on their website but ain't had any luck so far.

So, where are the action shots?

Enter the Rough Rider RR-1041, its a hard steel like the LMF, and it throw globs like the GG. Go figure. If you do a hard fast swipe, you get the globs, but if you do a slow, scrape, you get the control of the LMF, plus, little globs of motlen metal. I will do a little more in depth write up a little later. Even though I am feeling better, I'm still prone to fatigue and weakness. That and I'm pretty drunk, too
Moose

Ha, quoted myself, while, quoting myself?!?!

Moose

those are very cool - a beckerhead signature model would be great!

Yeah, it would be, but I doubt we would get that. I was going to try for an online discount that would soak up the shipping cost, so, Beckerheads could get it for $5.99, same as me, when I go. We'll see what happens, but nothing is definite.

Oh, and just FYI, not the only gear store I am talking too, either.

Moose

Ha, quoted myself, while, quoting myself?!?!

Moose

Thanks for that. Don't know how I missed the model number when I first read your post.To bad it will cost me more in shipping then the firesteel.

Any chance for action shots?

Thanks for that. Don't know how I missed the model number when I first read your post.To bad it will cost me more in shipping then the firesteel.

Any chance for action shots?

Yup, gotta little tutorial planned. Not tomorrow, I got family stuff, but I go on vacation Wednesday, so, probably Thursday. Good?

Moose

those are good firesteels,i bought 3 and a becker remora last time i went to smkw.definitely a very awesome place for us knifenuts.

100_1746.jpg

(A) I will do a little more in depth write up a little later. Even though I am feeling better, I'm still prone to fatigue and weakness. That and I'm pretty drunk, too.

(B) I am going to talk to the guys at SMKW, and see if I can work out a Beckerhead deal. I'll let ya know.

(C) Now, ya'll may think, WTF does this have to do with Becker knives. Well, one, I used my BK14 as a striker, and second, these things are inexpensive, and work real well, the basic foundation of Becker Knife and Tool.

Moose, you ever decide to run for public office, I want to be your campaign manager . . . :) You have it down pat right now:
(A) Lifestyle on par with politicians.
(B) Campaign promises for cut rate deals.
(C) Playing both sides of the fence when needed.
(D) LMAO . . :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great posts my man, would be interested in trying one up here in the northern hemisphere known as Yankee Land . . . :)
Get well partner,
Be safe.

Blade, I promise, I'm gonna get you some stuff to play with, bear with me. If I can send Pitdog a flammable, compressed firestarting tool, I can get you a knife to play with and some fire making material. Damn Candian Royal Mounties been looking for me ever since that time that cousin of mine got romantic with that VW Bug, I swear, roofies were not in the mix, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Those guys won't ever let a fella live it down. Not my fault the VW didn't want the attention. Damn Mounties.

Moose

kinda reminds me of the rat firesteels. i still like goinggear though. i have a modded rat fire kit, that i put a super striker and a 3/8 times 4 firesteel.

just burn OUR logo onto those handles, and we're all set.

heck, for the cost, buy some bulk rods, and mount on custom handles (drill, expoxy, go!)

mmm

Looks real nice with that walnut handle. I'd love to check one out, as it stands now I like my LMF firesteel more than my GG ones. Best of both worlds sounds pretty cool:thumbup:

Where did you see this in SMKW? I didn't see it last time I went there. Would be nice to know where to look next time I go.

Where did you see this in SMKW? I didn't see it last time I went there. Would be nice to know where to look next time I go.

On a table, next to the SOG booth, in a plastic bin.

Moose

To bad it will cost me more in shipping then the firesteel.

That's a heckuva deal for $6, but the shipping wouldn't be worth it for me. If I could find one locally (DENVER), I would love to check one out! The GG blanks look like a good idea...or even firesteels.com blanks too. I've heard good things about both. I mean, how different could they be??

Nice deal. The ones that I buy Up here are 10-11 bucks and a bit longer. I have three of them and two mag bars. I'm probably good to go for a while.:)

Back