Rumor of happenings between Ontario and RAT Cutlery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derrick, as bad as I hate to say this, money and power usually wins these things. Hard work and doing the right thing doesn't mean anything anymore. Nick knows he can weather the storm financially and publicly and that in the end his money will grind us down, he'll win and RAT Cutlery will be gone and the whole thing forgotten about in 6 months.

This is exactly what is WRONG with this COUNTRY. Any BULLY with money can
destroy someone financially with frivolous legal action.

It's time to start a total BOYCOTT of Ontario Products !!!

Guys, I had to post up again to say this. Don't quit buying Ontario products. They are a good American company and they do have some very good products, including the Ontario RAT line that has our name on it. The employees there are good people. The last thing I want to see happen is another American made manufacturer go down the tubes...honestly. Also remember that Nick only said he would have the lawyers send the papers, so we haven't been officially served or sued yet. All I'm saying is the last thing Mike or I want is any type of a boycott on Ontario products especially when they're one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

Jeff

RAT Cutlery is an all American company too, and if someone's taking a hit I wouldnt want it to be you.
If it comes down to supporting the artist or the corporation trying to stomp you out, you can bet the farm that I wont be enabling such tactics by giving them my money.

Sorry if you disagree, but thats my way and I'm sticking to it.

This is a shame. There are far too few knife companies in America for this infighting in the first place, and the only people who will prosper from this is the lawyers.

How I despise bullshit lawsuits! I've spoken to Nick beofre, and he seemed like a good dude, even after he was screwed over by a former employee.

Hopefully an email campaign will set this right. Lawsuits only only help the bottom feeding, scum sucking, parasite, lawyer scum bags, people. They will not help the industry.

I will advocate for RAT products to my customers, and no longer suggest the Ontario products, until they can pull their head out.

And I sheath a ton of Ontario products, purely on suggestion.

What a damn shame. :mad:

Any help I can render, Mike and Jeff, let me know.

deleted double post

I have two copys of every RAT knife Ontario makes both in D2 and Carbon steel. I now regret supporting a company that acts in this manner.

They'll get NO MORE of my money until this is settled favorably for RAT Cutlery.

eMail sent.
Basically said that IF the lawsuit commences, I will boycott the Ontario line and make sure everyone who owns so much as a steak knife hears about this.

I'll support the little American company over the bully American company.

Hate email sent. RC4 ordered from Okbohn for my pops.

Jeff/Mike - you guys have my full support. Sorry to hear about the B.S. I can't imagine how pissed and betrayed you guys must feel right now. I'll never buy from Ontario again (coming from a guy who has a pile of Ontario knives - all RATs!)

I had class earlier so I didn't really get to chime in much about who has the right to use the RAT name. It's no doubt that Jeff and Mike make some awesome blades, the company is growing bigger with new products are being gradually added. IF this thing goes to court, AND Mike and Jeff lose the right to use the RAT name, so what? I agree that it's wrong, but that's not going to stop Jeff and Mike from doing what they do best. I'd still buy from you guys if your name was changed to something silly like MOUSE. =]

Jeff's a man of integrity and principle. These traits are what lead him to advocate that Ontario not be boycotted. Rest assured Ontario would not do the same. Indeed, they are using the resources of a larger company to go after a smaller company. If they would expend this same energy into product improvement and quality control, maybe they wouldn't have to resort to these heavy-handed tactics.

While Jeff would never say it, I certainly will--DON'T GIVE ONTARIO A RED CENT! Remember a portion of every dollar you send them goes to the attorneys trying to put Jeff out of business.

If anyone at Ontario is reading this, understand that even if you "win" this suit, you will undoubtedly lose in the long run as what little reputation you have left will never survive. You will be known as the bully who couldn't win in a fair fight, so to speak, and had to resort to an unwarranted attack on this small, integrity-filled, outstanding US company. (A company whose owners made you quite a bit of money and are responsible in a large part for the good reputation you once enjoyed, I'll remind you.) I have bought your knives in the past and what I owned sit in the trash ready to go out as I type this. No one will see me carrying an Ontario product again. My name and my reputation are too important to me to associate with the likes of you. Worst of luck to you, gents. Good day.

Just ordered an RC-4 from kniveshipfree.com

My bet on what Ontario is sending RC is a "demand" or "threat" letter.

I am a lawyer, and have always found it curious that RC was going to be designing and selling "product improved" versions of the Ontario RAT line.

There might be something wrong with that even if your design ownership is as free and clear as you believe it to be. That's because irrespective of design ownership, Ontario might try to make the case that the RC line is a "trade dress" issue, and there being a RAT-3, RC-3, RAT-4, RC-4, RAT 6, RC-6, so on and so forth, confuses the buying public and harms Ontario's sales via a cannibalization effect.

Frankly, I think that effect is overblown. I already own all of the Ontario RATs I was ever going to buy and now I am intent on acquiring RCs.

However, I might yet sell off my Ontarios on the secondary market, having more adequate RC replacements except for in the case of my RAT-5. Those second hand sales might hurt Ontario's bottom line by preempting a first line sale to a new buyer.

I'll bet that they want a name change and cease and desist from confusing the market place as their opening gambit.

You can probably thump them on contractual grounds if your contract was as stated. That said, they'd be foolish if that were the only claim they brought.

97+% of all cases settle at some point. There's no need to freak out yet. They are going to demand more than they ever expect to get, and if your contract is clear, you'll have counterclaims of your own to pursue if they sue.

If they do sue you, I think I'll take a torch my RAT 6 and twist it a few times, after writing "SCREW YOU!" on the scales with a Sharpie and send it on in telling them to keep it.

I never bought an Ontario before the RAT designs and if they sue, I'll be damned if I ever buy another.

Hey there.

No lawyer, but if you have documents with the use of your RAT name and logo prior to your relationship with Ontario, you should get a intellectual products lawyer. If you can show that you had a pre-existing identity prior to your relationship or better yet.. before they created anything with the same use of the term, then there is not a whole lot they can do I don't believe.

Look for a ProBono lawyer who specialized in intellectual property and get a referral to lawyers who handle counter suits. Offer them a HUGE percent of anything they can make if you can successfully defend the suit and then counter sue for any loss of productivity/income/sales.

They might even be able to add on the ubiquitous 'pain and suffering' and 'mental anguish'. Throw in some medical ailments due to stress with an appropriate doctors diagnosis and you can add on the medical bills and trauma until the situation has passed and you are able to resume a 'normal life'.

This is a shame. I have an Ontario RAT 3 and love it. I also have one of there old AFSK, my beat around knife. Not to mention I love their Queen Cutlery knives. Carried a 1095 Canoe Today and a Moore Maker Whittler yesterday. I have heard that they have had problems. I hope this is resolved peacefully, we don't need another Camilus.

tjg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back