Russian Knives

Wanted to share/discuss Russian knives, since they can be a bit more rare and unique and not too expensive. My collection below:

Kizlyar Phoenix Combat
Kizlyar Phoenix Combat
Kizlyar Condor 1
ESEE 4 (not Russian obviously lol)
N.C.Custom Ultras-S

EDwwRt8.png

How's the relative quality? I remember reading somewhere that there are a couple different companies under the Kizlyar name that are made to very different standards.

How's the relative quality? I remember reading somewhere that there are a couple different companies under the Kizlyar name that are made to very different standards.
Steels are U-8 or U-8A for Kizlyar, the only real substantive testing I've seen is below. The NCC is D2. As far as Kizlyar vs Kizlyar Supreme, I've always been under the impression that Kizlyar was the OG and Supreme was cheaper and more derivative, but it's hard to say because there's so little english language info.

From what have seen Kizlyar and Kizlyar Supreme are different brandings from the same company. Kizlyar uses Russian sourced materials, Kizlyar Supreme uses material sourced from China. Kizlyar Supreme knives are said to be better though.

I seem to recall a thread a few months back where someone from St. Petersburg weighed in on K vs KS, claiming he was a manager of KS. Perhaps try to find that thread, shouldn't be too hard by keyword.

I do believe. Maybe he knows

M maxjeg
I already answered the same question.

PP Kizlyar is a plant in Dagestan, in the city of Kizlyar. Here is the website: https://www.kizlyar.ru/ They mainly use cheap Russian raw materials. Steel Kh12MF, ShKh15, 95Kh18, 65Kh13, Damascus in different versions. Handles made of rubber or inexpensive types of wood. Lately they have a lot of knives made from the Chinese analogue of Japanese steel AUS-8.

Kizlyar Supreme is a company that separated from Kizlyar PP many years ago. Here is their website: https://kizlyarsupreme.ru/ Production is located there, in Dagestan. Main office in St. Petersburg. I personally know their PR director. They mainly use Chinese steel and Chinese raw materials (micarta, G-10, carbon). European steels are used for anniversary or simply limited editions. They are higher in quality of manufacturing and heat treatment than PP Kizlyar. I have a couple of their knives. Here's an example of a 2017 club knife:

0-IMG-20240207-173619.jpg

It’s worth mentioning separately about NCCustom. In Russia there is a large knife company, Empire of Knives. Here is their website: https://www.eknives.ru/
It owns the brands.
Northern Crown and Basko (production in St. Petersburg and Izhevsk, domestic premium materials, jewelry, Russian, Chinese and European steels),
NCCustom (production in Izhevsk, also Chinese and European steels, Russian micarta, wood, G-10) and
Mr. Blade (manufactured in China). In terms of production quality, they are equal to or slightly higher than Kizlyar Supreme. Here is my knife, made at a factory in Izhevsk:

0-IMG-20231004-133213.jpg

Of all three, these are the ones I like best. But they've been having problems with designs lately.

It’s worth mentioning separately about NCCustom. In Russia there is a large knife company, Empire of Knives. Here is their website: https://www.eknives.ru/
It owns the brands.
Northern Crown and Basko (production in St. Petersburg and Izhevsk, domestic premium materials, jewelry, Russian, Chinese and European steels),
NCCustom (production in Izhevsk, also Chinese and European steels, Russian micarta, wood, G-10) and
Mr. Blade (manufactured in China). In terms of production quality, they are equal to or slightly higher than Kizlyar Supreme. Here is my knife, made at a factory in Izhevsk:

0-IMG-20231004-133213.jpg

Of all three, these are the ones I like best. But they've been having problems with designs lately.

Thank you sir!!! Though I remembered you saying this before that's why I said it!!😉..

I'd love to find an NC Custom dagger in the US. Really nice aesthetic with the bright blade and G10. The war sure hasn't done their local businesses any favors.

92ae-nc-custom-daga-sting-g10-1-0-3-600x759[1].jpg

Back