[Rust] Nalgene Stainless steel Standard Guyot bottle 38oz

Nalgene Stainless steel Standard Guyot bottle 38oz capacity

Supposed to be stainless steel, right ? Why do i read once in a while that rust start forming inside ? I was about to order one before reading this... :confused:

Can someone confirm this please? how yours going ?

Thank you for the info guys!

I get a little rust on the inside of mine occasionally, on the neck where the silicone sip thing sits and traps water. That evaporates a little leaving salts there, I imagine.

I've had my (very stainless) Global knives rust badly (not really badly, it just looked it at the time, lol) if left on a stainless steel drainer in the kitchen wet with Welsh water.

Any contact with salts (in the water, from touching with lips/fingers) or with dissimilar metals increases the chance of corrosion.

As they say, it's Stain-Less, not Stain-Proof.

Edit: The inside of the Guyot is not a polished finish either, increasing surface area which again increases the chance of corrosion.

On mine, the corrosion seems to clean off easily enough and is probably only there because I haven't cleaned it thoroughly/frequently enough.

I still use them all the time - no worries at all. I'm used to stainless steel corroding a little anyway, in the right (or wrong) circumstances.

I've not read of any rust issues in them myself, although I don't read much beyond here. The amount of rust on mine is very minor. Thinking about it, I've had a tiny amount of surface rust on the outside as well. I firmly believe that I have Alien blood and sweat though - I can badly tarnish brass bolsters in minutes with a touch; so badly that I won't buy a knife with brass on it. Someone send for Sigourney Weaver, lol.

Seriously, I have no issue at all with the little rust I've seen on my Guyot bottles. I would be more concerned about the probable cause: the bit of gunge that I haven't cleaned off, trapping bacteria, than the rust it also causes. Just clean it off with a green scouring pad and sterilise as normal with boiling water or a Sterident tablet.

I have wondered about people using trace wire (or, worse, brass snare wire) as a hanging loop causing corrosion due to galvanic action (the dissimilar metal contact)... no-one's said anything though so probably it's not a problem.

It's stain-less, not stain-proof. Just keep it clean and you'll be fine.

I love my Guyot!

are they all single walled ? one thing is sure.. i plan on sitting it directly in the coal to boil water..

are they all single walled ? one thing is sure.. i plan on sitting it directly in the coal to boil water..

It is single walled and no liner. Leave it in the coals all night :thumbup:

Thank you for the info.. this place is the best!! (and you guys cost me a lot of money, haha)

The last thing i need to know... does it fit the opening of my Vargo Titanium Hexagon Backpacking Wood Stove ?

The Standard Guyot is 3.5" across if that helps.

There's a "Backpacker" model and the "Standard" model. Get the Standard model as it has no taper at the bottom.

Take a look at Kleen Kanteen SS Bottles also.

I prefer my klean kanteen to the guyot. Never had a rust issue my self, and Ive left it full of water for 2 weeks before cleaning.

"stainless steel" still rusts. without getting into specifics, it just doesn't rust as easy because of its higher chromium content

Like others have said... stainless does not mean rust-less.

Just think of all the stainless knives that rust with no hesitation.

Klean Kanteen FTW

Is the "klean kanteen" the same size as the nalgene.. so it fit perfectly with my snow peak 700 ?

I see some video for the Vargo hexa wood stove so it wont be a problem.. but for me to pick the kleen, it gotta fit in my kit :)

oh guys.. btw.. i think i got the info about the not rust-proof and rust-resistant

true ss will not rust

It's call "stainless" for a reason, and not "stainproof". Another name for stainless is corrosion resistant steel... I work at Lockheed and I hear CRES more than the term stainless steel.

Sure you can have fancy steels like H1, but normal everyday stainless steel will rust, stain, and corrode. It's just more resistant than non-stainless.

It's like having a tent that says "water resistant" and I'm sure plenty of us have had some wet nights in water resistant tents. :D

in that case, i'll try to find one, which ever i came in contact first.. nalgene or kleen.. my fav store MEC.ca is that 2 min from my house but they only carry the non-standard nalgene one with a smaller bottom..

thanks for the info guys :D:thumbup:

in that case, i'll try to find one, which ever i came in contact first.. nalgene or kleen.. my fav store MEC.ca is that 2 min from my house but they only carry the non-standard nalgene one with a smaller bottom..

thanks for the info guys :D:thumbup:

Can't go wrong with a KK in my opinion. The 64 ounce (size of 2 liter Coke bottle) KK is surprisingly small. It actually looks smaller than a 2 liter bottle. It gets me through my day.

Back