Rust

OK, Got a question that I probably should already know. I by chance left a 01 or 1095 knife in the truck all winter. In the sheath. It rusted pretty bad. I cleaned it up good and it was pretty much left with a dull gray finish. I sharpened it up but it chipped just a bit. After some moderate use, I sharpened it again and this time it shows even more chipping. Is this knife shot or will it eventually quit chipping. Any opinions? This is NOT A JK knife. AND I knew better.:eek:

I'm willing to bet if you take the knife to a diamond stone and get rid of a bit of the edge, it will eventually sharpen up just fine and your problem with chipping will disappear.

OK, Got a question that I probably should already know. I by chance left a 01 or 1095 knife in the truck all winter. In the sheath. It rusted pretty bad. I cleaned it up good and it was pretty much left with a dull gray finish. I sharpened it up but it chipped just a bit. After some moderate use, I sharpened it again and this time it shows even more chipping. Is this knife shot or will it eventually quit chipping. Any opinions? This is NOT A JK knife. AND I knew better.:eek:

Maybe grind the edge back a little bit, and put a new one on?

I took it out to the Belt sander and took off quite a bit of the old edge. Right now it looks good, I will have to see how it holds up. Thanks guys. I may have to get a good diamond stone or try the wheels.

I purchased three cheap diamond stones for five bucks at one of those truck load sales. Even the one labeled fine is pretty coarse. They work fast for regrinding edges.

Back