S!K 4.7 Sample Blade Reviews

C.G - what an excellent review and writeup! I found myself saying "Holy Crap - he's really going to cut sheet metal now!!"

I appreciate how you are able to rank the steel against some of the others. I realize even with the use-testing, there is a bit of subjectivity, but that's a very helpful ranking at the end of your second video. If you put a dollar figure up, would you say the 4.7 is the "best value"?

Survive! Knives are shaving sharp takes on new meaning. That was a great idea. The review video was well done. Seeing how multiple knives handle similar tasks give watchers a reference point. Very nice, chiral. Plans to make more?

C.G., Great video! It tempts me to purchase one of the "secret steel" knives. Trying to resist...

As always, it's a great review. So how would you say it sharpens compared to 3v? I'd love to see it against an 01 blade of similar dimensions. Maybe I'll get to do that one if I can get a hold of an SK 4.7.

Many thumbs up! I knew you were going to cut through metal but it still makes me cringe. Pretty pleased with how that coating has been holding up for you! A big thank you for all your time and effort on this!

C.G - what an excellent review and writeup! I found myself saying "Holy Crap - he's really going to cut sheet metal now!!"

I appreciate how you are able to rank the steel against some of the others. I realize even with the use-testing, there is a bit of subjectivity, but that's a very helpful ranking at the end of your second video. If you put a dollar figure up, would you say the 4.7 is the "best value"?

Honestly, the sheet-metal is thin (<0.02") and soft, it's not a 16D nail. In my normal use of these tools, there are occasions where I need to cut through a piece of wire or sheet metal (the knife works better than tin-snips in much of my use) or I accidentally make contact with something thicker/harder. If you edge is too thin and brittle, the sheet metal could steer it aside resulting in chipping; if it is thin and soft, it will fold or squash and THEN may chip (often worse than the harder/more brittle edge). The solution for too brittle or too soft is to use a thicker geometry to support the apex... but a soft edge will still squash and a brittle edge will still chip at the very apex, the damage will just be smaller. However, thickening the geometry reduces cutting efficiency. My tin-snips are just too thick for efficient use most of the time. The RMD is also rather thick and the sheet-metal tears into the thick coating. The ceracote on the S!K is thinner and slicker so is less damaged by the metal, and the thinner primary grind allows it to penetrate much more easily, which reduces the force applied at the very edge as I cut, which reduces the impact of steering on the apex which = reduced edge damage :)

The damage done by the metal to this test-knife wasn't huge, could still draw-cut the phonebook-paper with a few snags, and easily repaired with a few swipes on a hone. The damage done to the 3V GSO-5.1 in a previous video was utterly invisible.

Regarding "best value" assessments, that is really subjective...
The BK-16 comes with a cheap nylon sheath, I prefer kydex (+$30 for a cheap one). It comes with cheap plastic scales affixed with cheap hardware, all of which can be replaced for additional cost ($50 ?) although I am fine with the plastic but more careful about it than I am with micarta. It comes with a coating that isn't up to the level of the S!K's cerakote, but some folks prefer an uncoated or a patina'd blade and it is easy to strip. The steel isn't as good but it can do the job and is easy to restore (the fine-grooved butcher's steel was enough to fix the damage caused by the sheet-metal). The geometry is excellent relative to many production knives. It costs only ~$82 new and is easily attainable, new sheath and scales basically double that to ~$160.

The Busse Hog Muk is only attainable on the secondary market and costs >$300 new, you need to find/make a sheath for it if the previous owner doesn't have one. It has a nice satin finish and resists corrosion quite well, the geometry is again excellent and it held its edge better than the Becker, Rat, or S!K... but it's not like one could comfortably shave with it after such use, it does dull and requires resharpening, though again the butcher's steel was sufficient to the task.

The S!K costs $189 right now... evidently great steel, excellent geometry, handle, sheath, etc.

If you can get by with the basic factory BK-16 (skip the micarta and kydex), then the Becker is the best 'value' of the three assuming "normal" use. But if you upgrade the Becker, well then you might as well be purchasing the S!K for the complete package with better steel from the start. That's my opinion, anyway.

Last edited:
It is probably just because of the mix of uses, and the utter lack of pretentiousness, but I find your usage videos much more appealing and informative than those of someone like Nutnfancy, or even Gideonstactical, both of whom I also really like. And honestly, I really like how you speed through large sections of video presentation, so we can still see the testing, but the video doesn't ramble on forever. Excellent videos, CG. I look forward to more.

As always, it's a great review. So how would you say it sharpens compared to 3v? I'd love to see it against an 01 blade of similar dimensions. Maybe I'll get to do that one if I can get a hold of an SK 4.7.

... so neither the 3V 5.1 nor the mystery 4.7 yet require a full bevel sharpening (like on my DMT aligner or my HF 1x30) for my uses. What I can type is that neither experienced much benefit from the butcher's steel used to re-align a very fine edge or micro-bevel a relatively soft edge... maybe i could have used more pressure to get an effect... but the ceramic rod worked fine on the mystery steel, diamond should work just as well, and neither diamond nor ceramic are likely to be able to tell the difference between 3V martensite and what-ever-it-iS! martensite.

The biggest difference in sharpening would be the amount of material that needs to be removed in order to achieve the desired apex geometry, and while both the 5.1 and 4.7 seem to have the same edge-geometry from Guy, the 3V resists damage better, so in the same harsh use you're more likely to need to move more metal on the mystery steel = longer sharpening time *shrug* That is only if you actually DO generate sufficient damage. Mine lost its face-shaving edge amidst the cardboard and wood, but remained plenty sharp for those tasks. The 3V shrugged off even the sheet metal (stubborn apex on that one, wish i had sufficient time and a spare car to cut in half with it, like the one guy did with his SR101 hawk :cool:)

Sharpening is such an art and so dependent upon the original geometry of the edge, I am often skeptical when people talk about having trouble sharpening one steel vs another using tools that should be more than competent to grind both so effectively that differences in the steel would be lost to noise IF the original geometry of each knife were the same at start... Granted, there are some steels that are so 'mushy' (burr-prone) that it can be hard to achieve a clean apex, but I have not experienced that on a S!K knife of ANY steel. To tell truth, the CPM-20CV Necker II took the most damage of the S!K knives I've tested (again, cutting metal was what did it in) and so took the longest to restore, but so long as you continue to grind with an appropriately coarse hone of sufficient cutting-ability (e.g. SiC, diamond, etc.) until you achieve your apex, prior to advancing through the grits for refinement, even that - what, 17% carbide? - steel isn't too challenging. Still, better to choose the right steel for the tool/application so as to minimize the amount of damage and the need for resharpening in the first place :)

And...

I'm on my phone so I'll be brief. I just received a 4.7 mystery steel sample. My first impressions:

First I should point out that I love reading reviews. Other people's perspectives and experiences can be tremendously helpful. But some people love to complain and some are quick to toss out mindless praise (fanboy. Or girl). What that means is I usually discard 5 star and 1 star reviews. And I certainly would never write one of either. I think you can always find something constructive that would improve the product for YOU and I think you can generally find something positive.

With that said, I am quite surprised at the 4.7. The size, weight, balance and ergos are much better than I expected. With an effective blade/cutting length the same as the RMD, the RMD may be in trouble. The effective blade/cutting length is only (roughly) half an inch shorter than the 5.1. Hmmm. That makes things a little more interesting! When I get to my laptop I'll explain that in more detail. I'll even include some pics. Yay!!!

It has me worried a little. I had been assuming that the 6 would be the "one". I am planning to order a second one based on my experience with the 5.1 (two is one. one is none). Pretty much the same sans choil. But the 4.7 caught me by surprise. Time will tell I suppose.

I wonder if they'll still do the big mystery steel review tomorrow or not. Maybe the majority of the testers are people the SURVIVE! team knows that aren't necessarily all over social media. I'm far from a steel connoisseur so I don't think there is much that would turn me away from planning on buying one, especially with how good the reviews have been from Chiral and Junkyard. Also, I think they look super sexy. That FDE coating looks so good. I want to see one with a black handle!

Given there are still some in stock as of this evening, and that some folks have said they'll hold off until they know what the stuff is, I'm betting they will post up.

I think my SK 4.7 must have gotten lost in the mail, and Ellie must have forgotten to email me a shopping notice. :D

Back