S&w k-22

hunterfisher808

Basic Member
Just scored some sambar stag grips for my old Model 17. Had to throw in the last years Traditional Forum knife to round out the pic:D
K-22.jpg

17-4K-22.jpg

Boy, that is sweet. That's always been one of my favorite revolvers, too. Good score!:thumbup:

That's a really nice looking revolver and a nice looking knife to go along with it!

Wes

Thanks for the kind words guys! Well I gotta tell you, for me to go through all the effort of digging in my gun room for my old collection of ammo to set up the props for these pics....well you can see how much I'm just lovin' this stag (Thats the true knife lover in me):D Mike

the s&w k22-- one of the greatest classics of revolvers in all history. i kick myself when i remember selling my mdl 17 in 1982. you have great tastes sir & i bet that k22 will still put them in 1.5 in. or less at 25 yds.that's a fantastic knife but it's companion will certainly keep it's place in history as long as shooting matches are held. thanks for the great pic.
dennis

Thanks Dennis, its a fine compliment coming from you as I know you have great taste. (I've seen your stuff:D)

I picked my K22 in the early 60s or so when I was competition shooting in the Army. It's still the most accurate handgun I own and gets 'warmed up' frequently. I've taught a host of people to shoot starting with the K22 at 100 yards. "One hundred yards? It won't shoot that far!" Is the usual comment. Ha! Yes it will and I demonstrate by popping a string of tin cans or whatever. If they'll listen to me, I have them either hitting small targets or 'scaring them to death' at that range within an hour at most. Then we graduate to 38s and on up the line. IMO, the K22 is hands down the finest 22 revolver ever made. BTW, I like to start a new shooter at distance. Gives them confidence and when we later move in closer it's duck soup for them. You can't hit at long range until you learn grip, sight picture, and trigger squeeze. Just my $0.02.

a little off subject but i agree with oldcw4 on teaching shooting. having done a ton of earlier shooting with s& w combat masterpieces & all the k-series plus the rugers& early colts, i start beginners on tiny objects from the first. getting persons shooting at leaves floating down river & turtle heads at 50 yds lets them see the bullet strike & make adjustments accordingly. newbies quickly learn sight picture & trigger control. did'nt mean to hi-jack the thread but was at river yesterday with a novice & had aton of fun.
dennis

a little off subject but i agree with oldcw4 on teaching shooting. having done a ton of earlier shooting with s& w combat masterpieces & all the k-series plus the rugers& early colts, i start beginners on tiny objects from the first. getting persons shooting at leaves floating down river & turtle heads at 50 yds lets them see the bullet strike & make adjustments accordingly. newbies quickly learn sight picture & trigger control. did'nt mean to hi-jack the thread but was at river yesterday with a novice & had aton of fun.
dennis

Thats how my father taught me...tin cans, playing cards nailed to a tree, or shooting Snapping Turtle heads in the Catfish pond with a High Standard .22 or my trusty 'ol Savage Bolt Action, single-shot, .22. Brought back some good memories, from long ago. Thank you for that.

Plinking is the best training for kids, I found that my sons and now grandsons can only shoot paper for so long. Walking the back trails shooting at random objects always made the lesson more enjoyable. And speaking of reminiscing, I remember as a young adult (18 or so) shooting the .22 along the edge of a marsh....sure there were homes in the area but shooting towards the marsh was 100% safe and everyone knew gun safety as a matter of common practice. A cop came by one day, I guess he heard the pops of the rounds. We talked and he admired my H&R revolver and a High Standard Sport King which I'd just picked up for $98.00 from a department store (my first ever auto pistol). He shot with me for about ten minutes and got a radio call and had to go. As he left he reminded me to police up all my tin cans and 2x4 blocks that I had set up.......Boy in todays world I would have got my guns confiscated and arrested to boot!...Sweet days gone by............thanks Dennis & Superfuzz for the spark, Mike

hunterfisher808, Agree, Sir! Totally. I also required my kids and grandkids to have ONLY 22 single shots or bolt actions. This avoids what I call 'Chinese Firecracker Syndrome.' Don't want the kids blasting to hear noise but to shoot one at a time and learn to hit something.

hunterfisher808, Agree, Sir! Totally. I also required my kids and grandkids to have ONLY 22 single shots or bolt actions. This avoids what I call 'Chinese Firecracker Syndrome.' Don't want the kids blasting to hear noise but to shoot one at a time and learn to hit something.

It was long ago, but this was the lesson my father taught me. Bullets cost money. Dont waste them. Dont fire three shots when you can do the job with one. Sight Alignment/Sight Picure, Proper Trigger Fundamentals, and finally Breath Control.

I still have that old blonde wood stocked, single shot, bolt action Savage .22. Its a bit short for me now and worse for wear, but still shoots like a dream.

Back