S110V vs ZDP-189 vs CTS-204P

I would like to hear from people who have handled at least two of these steels and that can compare them as to which of these steels that can hold a sharp edge for the longest time.

I'd say S110v, because really, "when you can get S110V for $150 you just gotta jump at that price point".

So I've read today at least.

I have multiple knives in each steel.

They will all stay sharp for a long time and they are all challenging steels to sharpen for a beginner. I would give S110V the slight advantage in edge retention over the other two but all three have way above average edge retention. I really like 204P myself. The ZDP is the least stainless of the three.

CTS-204P > ZDP189 > S110V

S110V edge holding is just lower than S30V from my experience... if you want high vanadium carbide stainless then better to stick with S90V.

CTS-204P > ZDP189 > S110V

S110V edge holding is just lower than S30V from my experience... if you want high vanadium carbide stainless then better to stick with S90V.

Are you using that sign correctly? It should be seen as a mouth that eats the inferior one... anyway that's what I was taught a long time ago at school.

ZDP-189 in everyday carry, then S110V, and finally CTS-204P. Though I think the CTS-204P is a more flexible, utilitarian choice for a broad range of chores (it is essentially the same as B390 or CPM-20CV). BTW you can get the first two from Spyderco for around or less than $150 on the internet, the CTS-204P is offered in their Southard but a little over $200 (my favorite Spyderco). I've never had the ZDP-189 chip, but it has that reputation, I have had small chips in the S110V. I think the ZDP-189 takes a little longer to sharpen, but doesn't need it for a long time if you strop it occasionally.

So if it is a > sign the item on the left side of the > is greater than the item on the right side.

I think he understands it. Just that he thinks it should be the oppsite to what that guy said.

S110V will hold its edge longest then CTS-204P and lastly ZDP-189. The Crucible and Carpenter steels are in a different class imo. ZDP-189 is more in line with the discontinued(?) S60V

I have no experience with 204p, but prefer S110v to ZDP189. S110v has been incredible in my experience, though I still prefer M4 because I have been able to sharpen it better.

Out of those 3 the cts-204p is my choice. It's and excellent steel specially the way Spyderco does it on the Southard. ZDP is just to annoying to maintain on a regular basis.

S110V will hold its edge longest then CTS-204P and lastly ZDP-189. The Crucible and Carpenter steels are in a different class imo. ZDP-189 is more in line with the discontinued(?) S60V

Anecdotal evidence here, but my experience have largely been to the contrary. I've had to touch up S110v and M390 on an infrequent but regular basis, whereas my ZDP knives have only required touch-ups after exposure to acidic foods.

On that note, your identificiation of S110v and 204P as "a different class" seems a little biased given the compositional similarities present (though admittedly edge retention among these steels is fairly heavily based on HT.) S110v and ZDP are fairly similar, though ZDP uses a LOT of chromium to make up for the extra carbon.

Really? So even S90V is better than ZDP-189 and I don't think that S60V has been discontinued... there is just no reason to use it for knives when you have S35VN and S90V to choose from.

Back