S30V vs. Sandvik 14C28N

From reading the thread it looks like a toss-up. Has anyone actually made a cutting test comparing the two steels? If so please post the link. Or are we just splitting hairs? I like real user feedback not a chemistry class with hypothetical speculations based on steel elements. There are other things in making a blade work that are almost as important as the type of steel. And how was the steel tempered when the blade was made? Cryoed? Too many variable for me. Just tell me how it cuts and compares to other knives of a different steel.

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

From reading the thread it looks like a toss-up.

Yes and no. They're two very different steels. 14c28 is designed for achieving the finest possible edge - it's carbides are 200 times finer than those of S30V (measured by volume). So that's a win for the Swedes. But S30V should be a tougher and more resistant to wear when cutting through abrasive materials. You really can't say better or worse here, just which steel better suits a particular job.

I like real user feedback not a chemistry class

What you "like" doesn't exist. Not for different steels - only two different knives. "Real user feedback" includes sharpening, heat treat, grinding, blade geometry. If both steels are used to their potentials they will simply live up to their chemistry and measured, optimal physical properties.

I actually like Sandvik steels especially the 14c28n. In MY OWN experiences I would put it right up there with VG10 as to how it takes and holds an edge. I have no scientific basis for this other than my observations of daily uses, but to me it's a very good steel. I agree with what another poster stating that S30V will hold a 'usable' edge longer, the Sandvik in question is just easier to maintain..

I agree with 14C28N taking a very fine edge.

One of my favorite knife blade steels.

Crucible S30V is better for really rough cutting jobs where a more durable slicing edge is needed.

I love s30v,,, however in my experience sandvik does take a razor edge much more easily than s30v,,, my savdvik blades are easily the sharpest in my collection (over 250 blades, cpm154, s35vn, 154cm, m4, ats,, etc)..... as far as user applications I would compare it to VG10,, but less resistant to corrosion. ?....

I love s30v,,, however in my experience sandvik does take a razor edge much more easily than s30v,,, my savdvik blades are easily the sharpest in my collection (over 250 blades, cpm154, s35vn, 154cm, m4, ats,, etc)..... as far as user applications I would compare it to VG10,, but less resistant to corrosion. ?....

That was 13C26. 14C28N added more chromium and nitrogen to be more corrosion resistant.

N is for nitrogen which acts in a similar way to carbon in steel.
Nb is for Niobium which acts like Vanadium in steel .Niobium is named after Niobe who is a girl so if you want a girly knife get that !! Actually the USA first discovered it and called it Columbium [ Cb ] after Columbus Then Europe " discovered " it and called it Niobe. Here metallurgists called it Cb but now have wimped out and went girly ! Niobe is Tantalus' daughter because the two are always found together .

I have a spyderco manix 2 xl in s30v and a kershaw blur with the 14c28n sandvik steels i find the blur holds the hairpoing edge better but the s30v holds a working edge alot longer i used both of the knives as edc. From cuting meat to wood and the s30v for me is the goto knive steel, but hey differant strokes for differant fokes

14c28n is a knife sharpener's steel. It can take an incredible edge and grinds like a carbon steel.

The the alloying is very calculated to provide a very fine grain with very small chromium carbides.

It may hold a hair popping edge longer then S30v but it gets dull fast and when dull it doesn't cut anymore.

It is now available to everyone after being a Kershaw exclusive.

For the average user. 14c28n is nothing special. It goes dull fast

However for a more detailed oriented user. It is a great blend of corrison resistance, field sharpening ease, cost, edge taking, and toughness

Some insane edges can be created and maintained with ease in capable hands.

For most it, it goes unnoticed.

S30v takes a killer edge that cuts more aggressively. It's a more shallow curve to dullness and will keep cutting with a working edge.

It take more time to grind because its more abrasivion resistant with more alloying elements for plentiful amounts of harder carbides.
With proper abrasives, it sharpens fast.

S30v holds an edge noticeably longer than vg10, 154cm, 14c28n.

It really set the bar and is one of the few steels designed just for knives.

Today its often hated on for a lack of toughness and difficultly sharpening.

However, this could be due to people repeating what they hear.

In use, its tough enough for proper use of a sharp edge and sharpens fast on diamond abrasives.

As far as choosing which one,

Ask yourself

How often do you like to sharpen?

How rough or careless are you with your blades?

What abrasives do you have?

14c28n is a knife sharpener's steel. It can take an incredible edge and grinds like a carbon steel.

The the alloying is very calculated to provide a very fine grain with very small chromium carbides.

It may hold a hair popping edge longer then S30v but it gets dull fast and when dull it doesn't cut anymore.

It is now available to everyone after being a Kershaw exclusive.

For the average user. 14c28n is nothing special. It goes dull fast

However for a more detailed oriented user. It is a great blend of corrison resistance, field sharpening ease, cost, edge taking, and toughness

Some insane edges can be created and maintained with ease in capable hands.

For most it, it goes unnoticed.

S30v takes a killer edge that cuts more aggressively. It's a more shallow curve to dullness and will keep cutting with a working edge.

It take more time to grind because its more abrasivion resistant with more alloying elements for plentiful amounts of harder carbides.
With proper abrasives, it sharpens fast.

S30v holds an edge noticeably longer than vg10, 154cm, 14c28n.

It really set the bar and is one of the few steels designed just for knives.

Today its often hated on for a lack of toughness and difficultly sharpening.

However, this could be due to people repeating what they hear.

In use, its tough enough for proper use of a sharp edge and sharpens fast on diamond abrasives.

As far as choosing which one,

Ask yourself

How often do you like to sharpen?

How rough or careless are you with your blades?

What abrasives do you have?

Bingo!

14c28n is my favorite Steel ever(have it on my ram and leeks.). I find it is the most well rounded Steel. As I like for my knives to stay shaving sharp at a min I prefer it to s30v which as some have mentioned seems to lose a razor edge quick butaintains better from there.. I also find it seems less expensive as well, polishes better and I also am tired of so many knives in s30v between my benchmade and spydies. At this point most steels will do what I need so I like having a variety to experiment with and learn about.

Hey, guys, I have Kershaw blur with Sandvik 14C28N and takes an awesome edge and holds it very well. I am very impressed with the steel! With that being said, I am not an expert in steels nor have I owned a blade with S30V to compare it with.

Back