S35VN

Has anybody used S35VN on a fixed blade? How does it hold up to abuse,and outdoor activies? Also does anybody find it not tough enough or strong enough for the job sometimes? I have researched it,but I mostly see people talking about it on folders. Thanks!

Has anybody used S35VN on a fixed blade? How does it hold up to abuse,and outdoor activies? Also does anybody find it not tough enough or strong enough for the job sometimes? I have researched it,but I mostly see people talking about it on folders. Thanks!

I have never used it on a fixed blade, but it is just a slightly upgraded version of S30V so they would perform the same with use. You can probably find a ton of fixed blade reviews in S30V.

Last edited:
Hi, I've got several fixed blades made from s35vn and it has held up very well to some pretty hard beating. It holds a good edge and I haven't had any problems with it at all.

The bottom 3 knives are all Martin knives customs and s35vn
14695482_10211551194921937_2277558274371944861_n.jpg

11391290_10207459290906894_365259787629847810_n.jpg

10400000_10207625484581632_3981007450278575675_n.jpg

I like s35vn a ton more than s30v, which I do not love. Supposedly s30v has slightly better edge retention than its younger brother s35vn which is a bit tougher.

Only have folders in both these blades. S35Vn seems finer for some reason, maybe grain size. Both hold a marvelous edge. As for toughness, either should hold up if you use them for cutting, as a 'knife' is designed for. As for prying/chopping, I couldn't say.

I too only have S35VN in folders. I find it vastly superior to S30V in both edge holding and toughness. I think it would make a fine fixed blade.

Only have folders in both these blades. S35Vn seems finer for some reason, maybe grain size. Both hold a marvelous edge. As for toughness, either should hold up if you use them for cutting, as a 'knife' is designed for. As for prying/chopping, I couldn't say.
I don't pry,but I do chop up a decent amount of vines in the woods.

I have never used it on a fixed blade, but it is just a slightly upgraded version of S30V so they would perform the same with use. You can probably find a ton of fixed blade reviews in S30V.

I'd much rather have s35vn on a fixed blade than s30v because it is tougher and easier to sharpen. I would not say they perform the same. Spartan uses s35vn exclusively on their fixed blades which I have quite a few of. Holds up well and is easy enough to sharpen. Heat treat can also be a factor here.

My little Spartan Enyo is s35vn, and is tough as nails.

CRK uses S35vn on all of their knives, and Spartan Blades uses it on the majority of theirs as well. It is a fantastic steel with the right heat treatment.

I'd much rather have s35vn on a fixed blade than s30v because it is tougher and easier to sharpen. I would not say they perform the same. Spartan uses s35vn exclusively on their fixed blades which I have quite a few of. Holds up well and is easy enough to sharpen. Heat treat can also be a factor here.

Spartan and CRK keep their target hardness down way low though, so that's probably something to do with the ease of sharpening.

Spartan and CRK keep their target hardness down way low though, so that's probably something to do with the ease of sharpening.
I wouldn't call 59-60 "way low". ZT is only 60-62. You are potentially getting the same HRC. It is harder than a lot of companies do s30v yet it is easier to sharpen. Plus, as I said, heat treatment means a lot here. Spartan has an excellent heat treat with 2x deep cryo.

I wouldn't call 59-60 "way low". ZT is only 60-62. You are potentially getting the same HRC. It is harder than a lot of companies do s30v yet it is easier to sharpen. Plus, as I said, heat treatment means a lot here. Spartan has an excellent heat treat with 2x deep cryo.

Is it 59-60? I thought CRK kept their fixed blades at 55-57.

Huh, just went and looked and you're right about Spartan. I'll have to look at some of those again.

S35VN is a very good steel! I have it in multiple folders but also in the Fiddleback Forge Duke which has held up well with outdoor "work". Holds an edge well and takes an edge easily. I would highly recommend getting a fixed blade with this steel!

And you are right about CRK fixed blades. 55-57 is what they list. Guess I was thinking of folders. That is too low IMO.

Edit to add: if this review doesn't make you want a Spartan nothing will: http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...-difensa-and-the-phrike-very-pic-hvy.1187294/

I really wanted a 5.5" non-serrated Pacific or Green Beret, but I just couldn't get past the 55-57 HRC for some reason.

I do really like the Phrike design, and the Harsey Spartans look great.

Back