Safety of eating squirrels/pigeons

Hello,
I live in a country where almost any typical type of hunting is either full prohibited or prohibited without a license. Animals like hogs, deer and foxes are the most hunted here so I guess that no one has any experience with squirrel and pigeon hunting. Or they just don't want to speak about it. Either way, I want to ask people from hunting and trapping friendly countries a few questions. I once read in survival handbook about the possibility of eating squirrels and pigeons (or other small birds) while being in survival situation and there are some things that interest me since then. One of them is the safety of eating those animals. Are squirrels or pigeons safe to eat? Do you eat them? How do you exactly make them safe to eat? Is contracting mad cow disease from a squirrel really a possibility?

The only thing I know of eating a pigeons is from when I work with a Cuban refugee, he would pluck the feathers, remove entrails keeping the gizzard. He would boil/simmer the birds for 8 hours then oven roast on an open rack for another hour.

Squirrel can contain parasites and other non desirables in hot months, I’ve always heard not to eat fresh squirrel until after a frost. Now not every squirrel will, and plenty are eaten in the spring and early fall(our local seasons) very warm weather. I don’t eat squirrel heads and brains but it’s fairly common in some circles(I imagine that’s where mad cow or other prion disease would come from). As far a preparing them I make a brown gravy with squirrel, lots of onion, peppers, celery, and garlic, season with salt, black and cayenne pepper over rice.

You didn’t ask about rabbits but I know they are prone to having worms in warmer months and I will not kill one to eat unless temps have been near freezing. I’ll prepare them the same way as squirrel but sometimes I smoke them for a couple hours before I begin making a gravy.

In a survival situation I’d likely roast any animal I could kill over an open fire until thoroughly cooked or boil it for an extended period of time if I had a pot to do so in.

Last edited:
Squirrels are fun to hunt, but be aware you are shooting up, and if you miss you are responsible for the trajectory of the round.

It is easier to wander into an area they live in, and sit quietly. If you actively pursue them, they will go up a tree and just climb to the opposite side of the trunk.

Pigeons are also edible, and actually pretty tasty too. However, if they live in an area like a city, they may be eating contaminated food and are more likely to contain disease or parasites.

Pigeon is eaten as a staple and even as a delicacy in many countries. I've never had the pleasure, but I've devoured many doves and have been told they have similar meat. Doves are absolutely delicious, I prefer them grilled over live coals.

I have also eaten squirrels in all seasons without issue, although I take care to cook them thoroughly (usually stewed in some gravy with vegetables and herbs). I have no clue whether mad cow is transmitted via squirrels, but I try to avoid any prion disease and never eat brain matter.
Forewarned: they're gamey and taste a little bit like acorns smell.
I've found that only the mature males are gamey and can be quite tough. Females and younger males don't seem to have a distinct flavor, but that probably depends on the specific habitat.

Note that my perspective comes from animals harvested in Texas. Animals in your country/region probably carry different pathogens/parasites than animals in mine. Maybe you should speak to local veterinarians or biologists before dining.

Last edited:
Why not just get a license to hunt the more desirable game? That's pretty normal no matter where you live in the world.

I won't presume to speak for the OP, but small game hunting can be every bit as exciting and fulfilling as hunting larger game and may have a lower barrier to entry, especially if licensure is not required. Also, I think OP was asking about which small critters are suitable for eating in a "survival situation". I'd rather eat venison, but if I'm hungry and squirrels and pigeons are more accessible than deer then the soup du jure changes.

In our area for small fur bearing game such as rabbit and squirrel we wait till after the first hard freeze to rid them of parasites. Usually late fall till end of winter.
For birds like pigeons we avoid them as some have been poisoned. At times there are thousands or more and become disease causing pests and make a bigmess everywhere. Some people put poison grain out to kill them off but I would rather they trap them or shoot them. Many house cats have died eating a tainted pigeon.
Dove and quail are sport game and only hunt in season. But black birds and starlings are open year round. I know a few people who hunt them and have a special way they prepare and cook them but sorry, I don’t know the method.
In a survival mode any birds I would recommend fully cooking them to be safe.

Why not just get a license to hunt the more desirable game? That's pretty normal no matter where you live in the world.
I am planning to obtain the license in a few years, but you couldn't still hunt pigeons and squirrels and I am focused on other things these days so the question was focused mainly on the survival side of things. The hunting licenses in nearly whole Europe doesn't work on the same principle as in the other parts of the world. Many types of hunting like bow hunting are also prohibited in my country even with a license. And getting the license is a one to two year long and expensive process. It stems from the fact that many typical game is raised directly on the hunting ground or in the forest by the hunters and you are expected to take a part in it to get to hunt some animals for free per year. You are also expected to take car of the forest itself. You would pay very high prices for the hunting itself otherwise.

I've had barn pigeons. They ate the finest silo corn.

Flashlight, a sac, and a buddy.
Catch them roosting and sleeping on a beam, usually five storeys up.

One guy flashlights them and they don't move, the other guy catches them, crosses their wings, drops them in a sack.

No plucking, just skin, marinate in Italian salad dressing ( oil, vinegar, sugar, spices premade )
Oven braised in more of the same .
Great.

When I was in the Philippines in 1972 street vendors sold skewers of so called monkey meat they grilled on a hibachi. I figure rats were easier to get than monkeys, but it was still good and hasn't killed me yet.

Also I've eaten a lot of squirrels especially in my younger days. The secret is to get them tender. Pan fry, then in a 250 oven for an hour or two and then they're good. Never had pigeon but wouldn't hesitate, especially given the same treatment.

Provided the thing is cooked thoroughly and isn't contaminated by lead or other potentially toxic or poisonous substances, basically anything should be safe to eat. What really worries me are the potential viruses and bacteria you could get by butchering/processing animals yourself before cooking them.

By the way, what's the rule about poisonous snakes? However many inches down from the head to avoid eating the venom glands?

I've had barn pigeons. They ate the finest silo corn.

Flashlight, a sac, and a buddy.
Catch them roosting and sleeping on a beam, usually five storeys up.

One guy flashlights them and they don't move, the other guy catches them, crosses their wings, drops them in a sack.

No plucking, just skin, marinate in Italian salad dressing ( oil, vinegar, sugar, spices premade )
Oven braised in more of the same .
Great.
Same here, though I have to shoot mine after flushing them from the horses' loafing sheds. Mine eat grain, corn, and seeds from wild sunflowers. As for their being "like doves," they ARE doves, specifically Rock Doves.

I prefer them lightly braised. They are delicious.

Zieg

By the way, what's the rule about poisonous snakes? However many inches down from the head to avoid eating the venom glands?

Idk about any hard and fast rules, but as long as the head is removed (where the venom glands reside) you should be good to go. So far the rattlesnakes I've eaten haven't caused me any problems after losing their head.

For what it's worth, most snake venous are derived from proteins the snakes produce in their glands. That means that, generally speaking, snake venom is harmless if swallowed. It needs to enter the blood stream to cause trouble, but it will have no effect if you swallow and digest it completely. BUT, if you happen to have any cuts, scratches, sores or ulcers in your mouth/throat/stomach then the venom can enter your blood stream and get to work. So, don't eat a bunch of tortilla chips before taking a shot. Otherwise, they have clean meat which is distinctly reptilian but not off-putting.

20180526_195948.jpg
20180526_200914.jpg

*yes, I wore gloves to clean it because it wouldn't stop wriggling (hours after killing it) and I'm just not as brave as I think i am. It ended up a little dry, but still tasty. Probably should have added some extra fats.

Attachments

• 20180526_220902.jpg
    20180526_220902.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
If you are in Europe, it is possible that the pigeons you find in the woods and fields are Common Wood Pigeons, which are a different beast than the city pigeons and Barn pigeons common in the US. They are eaten in the United Kingdom, no problem.

Back