SAK Buy the Pound on E-bay

I put in an e-Bay bid, not expecting my low ball offer would win, but it looks like I won 28 assorted, used, airport confiscated/surrendered Victorinox (large) SAKs. I'll let you know what I got, condition, etc., when they get here. It was from the bouldercity,NV e-Bay store. It looks like they take whatever is considered contraband from airport passengers, sort it, catalog it and sell it on e-Bay. I feel for the guys who forgot they were carrying EDCs when they tried to board the plane, most were SAKs and multitools, but there were a lot of 'premium' name brand and collecter type old pocket knives too. There are all sorts of interesting stuff when you type in "ntsa" on e-Bay.

Do you think commercial airline passengers should be allowed to board with knives ?

Razor blade box cutters and small bladed keychain SAKs were considered 'ok' prior to 9/11, have been put on the contraband list post 9/11.

Also if you're told ahead of time, you can't board an airplane with any type of cutting tool, who's responsibility is it if you forget ?

I think a reasonable compromise would be to have postage paid mailing envelopes available for boarding passengers so they have the option of sending their knives, etc. home from the airport.

I actually did that once. I was at the airport, had already checked my bags, and realized that I had my EDC in my pants pocket. I forget what I was carrying, but it was too nice of a knife to just drop in the "amnesty bin." So I went over to the customer courtesty counter, got an envelope, and mailed it home before I went through security.

I can tell you all about that. Going to a TAS knife sale this monday! I get great deals on SAKs there

The first 6 Vic SAKs arrived today. Four of the 6 were what I'd call "good", the other two were "poor". They were all intact and all the blades/tools were usable. The scales on all of them were very pocket worn. The stainless steel metal parts all cleaned up with dishwashing detergent and a toothbrush and a couple of squirts of oil.

The four "good" ones were basically the Super Tinker or Climber models, and had at a minimum; large and small blades, can openers, awls, scissors, and either a phillips screwdriver or a corkscrew. The two that were in poor condition, one had only a single sheepsfoot blade (Sentry ?)with the previous owner's intitials melted into the handle. The other one was a small (not large)red metal handled SAK , it looks like an older Executive. None had one of my favorite features, the saw, but they didn't say any of them would in their descriptions, just that they were "large" Vic SAKs.

The funny thing is I told some people at work about the knives, three of them wanted to buy an SAK when I got them. One gal wanted to buy one as a gag gift for a friend of hers who had lost three to airport security. One guy told me he wanted to buy two to replace the ones he lost to airport security. The third guy just wanted a cheap 'genuine' SAK to throw in his tackle box.

>>The first 6 Vic SAKs arrived today<<

6 out of 28? What happened to the others?

- Tim

By coincidence, I got a box delivered yesterday from Airport security sale on ebay here in UK....

I paid less than $20 including postage, and got a nice surprise...

a box full of :
12 crap Chinese multi-tools...threw some of them in the scrap bin right away : BUT also got:
1 Vic Silver Alox soldier (1980)
1 Vic Red Alox Pioneer (nearly new, dirty knife blade cleaned up) fantastic knife!
1 Vic Camo Spartan, very nice
1 Wenger camper, dirty but ok
7 other Vic Spartans, some with damaged scales (will donate to local Scouts for learning knifecraft)
Lman Micra, nice
Lman Squirt S4, which is now on my key chain....HEhehehehehe!!!
3 Chinese SAK imitations, all new... but still crap, blades nearly died of fright on my sharpening stone.

I sharpened and cleaned all the Spartans, one was a ruby red, almost perfect, just dirty.

Very lucky.

Sniglet said:
Do you think commercial airline passengers should be allowed to board with knives ?
Um... yeah, I do.

I used to carry a pocketknife or Leatherman on planes all the time. Even an Endura once. Funny, I don't recall it being a problem.

The 9/11 hijackers got away with using boxcutters because the other passengers figured they would simply be detained and eventually released, not flown into buildings. If someone tried today to take over a plane with anything less than machetes, they'd find themselves either plugged by a Sky Marshall, or overwhelmed by a hunderd passengers who don't want to die.

The idea that my Vic Classic SAK is somehow a "dangerous terror weapon" is a ridiculous overreaction by our esteemed *koff* government.

tcolling said:

- Tim

They'll arrive sometime next week in a separate shipment. I made a bid on four different lots of SAKs, not expecting to win all of them. The first lot I bid on arrived as one pkg. and the next three lots will arrive in a combined pkg.

Casares said:
I paid less than $20 including postage, and got a nice surprise...

Very lucky.

Yikes! My shipping charges were more than twice as much as you paid for all your knives. I thought paying $5 per knife was a good deal. I guess the bidding on our side of the pond is a bit more intense. I don't plan on doing it again in the near future...unless it's as good a deal as you got.

Gryffin said:
The idea that my Vic Classic SAK is somehow a "dangerous terror weapon" is a ridiculous overreaction by our esteemed *koff* government.

I agree, it's utter supidity to suggest you could hijack a plane with a pocket knife. You could do more damage with a book of matches.

tcolling said:

- Tim

The rest of the SAKs arrived. They were all worn, but usable. One knife had a blade with a broken tip, another one had a blade that'd been sharpened so much it was about 30% thinner than when it was new, otherwise all the knives had all their parts. One of the knives was the Mechanic Model, three Tinkers, 2 Soldiers, a couple of Mountaineers, a Picknicker, and the rest were Spartans and Recruits.

If I have it to do over again, I wouldn't. :rolleyes: I learned that you don't bid on E-bay unless you intend to win, because you might. One lot of 6 knives was OK, but 28 SAKs is too much of a good thing. The good thing is I can probably dump a few of these at work and recoup some of my money. My 15 year old claimed one of the Mountaineers and my wife will pick one of the knives for her purse. The rest will be put into various SAK pocket knife distribution places; a camping survival kit, the truck glove compartment, pockets of jackets and vests, wherever.

Well done, congrats and a lesson learned about ebay as well.

I keep Tinkers in the house, large ones in the cars.

Also, Picnicker in my rucksack for hiking etc.

Alox SAKs stay at home, I love them too much. How pathetic.

gatch said:
I agree, it's utter supidity to suggest you could hijack a plane with a pocket knife. You could do more damage with a book of matches.

Oh, yeah? Tell that to Richard Reid (the Shoe Bomber) :D

Back