SAK identity ?

I have a Victorinox, bought in the 80's, that has 3 main blades, all approx.3.25 in long: standard, saw, and gutting blade. It also has a corkscrew and an awl.The gutting blade has a concave edge with a blunt tip, like the serrated blade on the Hunter, but longer and not serrated. It is great for getting under the skin of an animal and slicing the shin from beneath without damaging the flesh or cutting much hair. The regular blade is great for cutting the meat off the bones. I have used this knife to clean over 200 deer during the last 20 years. I can't post a pic because my digital camera is in the shop. Anbody have any idea what this model was called?

If it the body measures 108mm, then what you have there is a Victorinox Safari Hunter. A bit hard to come by these days, never saw one personally. I have one of the models on the same line, pretty much like yours but without the gutting blade.

Does it have red Cellidor scales, or imitation stag scales?

Bama Lou, it has red scales. I actually got the last 2 of these at a Remington knife shop on sale, so that fits with the discontinued scenario-- I have never seen them before or after, and never saw them advertised anywhere. All my hunting buddies have macho blades that look good but hack up a deer. Thanks for the information. Ice Tigre, thanks for the link, it came up with no results, but I wasn't sure about some of the category terminology.

Yep, that's it-- the model 5425 Hunter. That is one sweet deer-cleaning device. Thanks for the help in the identification.

Back