SAK scissors and Australian Shepherds.

We have a dog.

Like a lot of people, our dog is our child, and she gets pampered and spoiled. Terribly, by me mostly. One thing about Australian shepherds is, they have a great coat. Kind of long if you let it grow out, and long plumes on their front legs and hocks. Very stylish when she's running and they kind of flow like steamers. Not so good when she runs through a bunch of stickers or hitch hiker weeds that get tangled in that long streaming fur.

After a walk where she gets to run free, chasing all those evil squirrels back up the trees where they belong, (Who knows what evil can place if too many squirrels get on the ground at one time?) Abby gets a good brushing when she gets home. The seeds, stickers, hitchhikers mostly come out with the brush. Mostly.

Some of them get so tangled up that even after plucking and brushing, there's some that have just a few long hairs so tangled around them, it needs a careful snipping. The classic scissors, so sharp and precise, come into their own. After separating as much hair as we can, a careful snip at the offending burr frees it up. Abby is very good at laying there patient as all heck, while she gets brushed and carefully snipped at. The little SAK scissors are so good at being soooo precise, that so few strands of fur get cut that you can't tell. So too, the fur that grows out between her paw pads and make things slippery for her on the polished hardwood floors in the house. The little snips get her paws cleaned up and trimmed so she's not slipping and skidding around corners in the home.

Yet another little victory for the 58mm scissors. I don't think we could make it between the grooming appointments that Abby has every 6 weeks, without the little snipping here and there with the classic scissors. I can only wonder if one of the Elsner family had an Australian shepherd?

And those little burr's that get up between the paw pads!

Makes me wonder if a classic should not be automatically hung from the collar! :)
You're on to something there Carl. :thumbsup:
For several years I had a hard working bird dog with the same issue with burrs. Difference was she would only hold still a couple minutes at a time waiting for their removal. Then she'd bolt off pretending there were bevys of pheasants and a covey of grouse loose in the next room over. If Victorinox rounded the scissor's points and got some spots at the end of the pet store isle they'd probably sell a million more classic each year. :)

I currently have a bird dog as well (my avatar), but his only job is chasing squirrels out of the back yard. He doesn’t get burrs very often, but he does get little bits of mud matted into his long ear fur. I’ve used SAK scissors to trim them off in the past, but Cooper usually won’t hold still long enough.

We previously had an Aussie for thirteen wonderful years.

There is nothing better than a classic on a key chain. There is no telling when you need the scissors or tweezers.

The mighty 58 mm.
It's not the newest, sexiest knife on the market, but it persists because it's a great tool.
My son's first "knife" he could use was the Jetsetter - he might have been late 3 / early 4 when we gave it to him.
A bottle opener/Screwdriver/wire stripper he'll probably never use.
tweezers and a toothpick which will probably get lost.

... but the 58 mm scissors have kept him occupied for hours.

Back