SAKs in movies and TV.

MacGyver.
Behind Enemy Lines.

What other ones do you remember seeing a SAK in?

Last edited:
TV:
1. Doc Martin
2. The X-Files (a possible quick glimpse during the early 'manitou/werewolf' episode)
3. Martial Law
4. Into the Badlands (brief glimpse of a closed SAK in a box)
5. Cops (SAK used in a homicide; that episode will probably never air again)
6. That '70s Show (a brief glimpse of a closed SAK in Kelso's hand)
7. The Simpsons
8. NCIS (a fleeing Dr. Mallard purposely leaves his SAK behind as a clue)
9. WWE Raw (or Smackdown); a 'heel' faction ("Mexicools") member used an SAK to stab/deflate inflatable furniture. Episode from the early 2000s.
10. Survivorman (SAK, along with various multitools, used in several episodes)
11. Man vs Wild (a locking Wenger SAK)
12. Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern

Movies:
1. True Romance
2. Turistas
3. Wolf Creek
4. The Foreigner
5. Hannibal (brief glimpse)
6. Charlie's Angels movie (2000; possible brief glimpse)
7. Breakdown (brief mention and possible glimpse)
8. An American Werewolf in London

Jim

Last edited:
In a Seinfeld episode, George cuts a cucumber with a Wenger. Don’t recall the episode.

Home ... (a boy steals an SAK...)...
Many can vouch that this kid was home alone.
vlcsnap-2011-01-09-01h24m51s71.png

Almost forgot...

Mean Streets (1973); Harvey Keitel's character is harassed by a cop for carrying a small SAK "pen knife".

Jim

I'm a little late to this thread, but I remember a couple of SAK appearances:
In the 1990 animated Disney movie The Rescuers Down Under, the main boy character carries a pocket knife that is clearly intended to be a Swiss Army Knife, even though when it is closed it merely resembles a red box with rounded ends.

In a later episode of M*A*S*H, one of the 'likeable' doctors (I think it was B.J. Hunnicut) gets mad that one of the other doctors in "The Swamp" tent used his Swiss Army Knife for some prank or something.

Can’t forget The Eiger Sanction where Dr Hemlock pulls out a SAK and cuts the rope holding him hundreds of feet from sure death....

The movie “Blended” Adam Sandler’s character uses a SAK to cut the straps off a helmet that a kid couldn’t undo.

One of my favorite threads over in the Traditionals subforum is traditional knives in movies. I’ve found and posted a few SAKs there over the last few years, and I thought I’d bring them over here to this thread. A couple of these have already been mentioned in this thread, but as there have been no screenshots posted showing the knives, I think they’re worth mentioning again.

I will say that my SAK knowledge isn’t up to the task of identifying most of these, but if those of you who are more knowledge could shed some light in any of these models, please do!

———

Here’s a slim, single layer SAK in The Royal Tenenbaums.

qCjmEDM.png

———

This one appears in the 2016 Ghostbusters film.

iqYlGj0.png

8VEjoPa.png

———

In Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, Kevin McCallister buys a Swiss Army Knife at a toy store in New York City. You get a couple different views of it sitting on the counter while he's checking out.

Top down, looking at all the tools:

o6KAu7k.jpg

Side view. I'm guessing the white square on the side was put there to cover up the Swiss cross logo.

GJUGO8a.jpg

Back side of the knife:

zlNIP0g.jpg

Outside the store, Kevin uses the magnifying glass to look at a map of Manhattan.

6UCYxjc.jpg

Small continuity error: this scene starts with Kevin holding the knife so that side with the corkscrew is facing him, but when the camera cuts to a wider shot, the knife is turned the other way, with the corkscrew side facing away from Kevin.

4gmeomW.jpg

Unless I’m mistaken, the style of the magnifying glass and the keychain would identify this as a Wenger.

iaZxVPz.jpg

I don't know much about Wenger models, but if I had to guess, I'd say the knife in the movie a Wenger Champ. Looks about right to me:

17hUfQA.jpg

Unfortunately, when Kevin realizes that the Sticky Bandits (formerly the Wet Bandits) are standing behind him, he drops his SAK, screams and runs away, leaving it on the sidewalk. It probably would've come in handy setting up all those booby traps later, too.

nNGDaMf.jpg

———

In the Pixar movie Up, Russell, the Junior Wilderness Explorer, has a Swiss Army-type knife hanging from his backpack.

if6w2Ia.jpg

I don’t know if Victorinox or Wenger have ever made a Swiss Army Knife with a spoon and fork like that, but I had a knockoff SAK-style knife when I was a kid that had those utensils situated in the same way they are on Russell’s knife. The knife I had was thinner, though, only a couple layers.

Later in the movie, Carl uses Russell’s knife to cut some rope.

5qR8Ct2.png

SLfl7nI.png

You get another decent look at the knife when Carl sets it down on the rock here.

MzBxc5J.jpg

———

This one I came across in a sort of unusual way.

I regularly play this daily game online called Framed, where you get six chances to guess a movie based on still images from that movie. You start with one image, make a guess, and if that’s wrong you get a second image, and so on. The goal of course is to get it with as few images/guesses as possible (the later images get easier/more obvious).

One day started off with this as the first image:

KegvnSb.jpg

It’s from 127 Hours, which I actually haven’t seen. I didn’t get it on the first frame (I think I got it in three), although the first image made sense once I knew what the movie was.

———

Here’s another animated SAK-type knife. In Rio 2, the main bird-character briefly wields a Swiss Army knife in self-defense. This one has a spork, improbably placed in a middle layer. 🤣

k19dxwm.png

HLhhjWZ.png

ksolcjb.png

MI9Xgxg.png

Here’s a black-handled SAK in Hocus Pocus.

liadiYv.png

vo6p17P.png

———

And finally, in Cast Away, Tom Hanks' character has a SAK attached to his keys. He uses it early in the movie to open a package...

L0J0Ybl.png

n4Bklw2.png

ZTs7YeH.png

...and to unwrap a gift from his girlfriend.

fFCEIjt.png

TMCzFuo.png

Before boarding his flight, he leaves the keys (and knife) with his girlfriend.

LfS9dEA.png

Near the end of the film, the keys are returned to him, and he examines the knife, which, of course, would have been nice to have when he was stranded on an island.

lRsjqGM.png

akSbMYw.png

HQfc9Xv.png

6swFx3T.png

OkYzjDn.png

There isn't much to go on if you wanted to identify the model. I suppose it's notable that it's a full-size SAK (91mm?), as opposed to a Classic which you might expect to find attached to keys. It appears to have two layers, but the only tools you really get a look at are the main blade and the corkscrew.

I love the look Tom Hanks' character gives the knife when it's handed back to him.

I rewatched Company Business a couple weeks ago, and Gene Hackman's character uses his Swiss Army quite a bit throughout the film.

I watched Scream 2 last night and noticed the camera man had a SAK about midway through the film. I was hoping it would have been relevant, but he "quit" only to return after all the killing and it was never shown again.

Back