Sam Wilson - P.A.C.K. Lite fixed blade

Recently I put my hands on Sam Wilson's P.A.C.K. Lite knife (it's a mid-tech line of Sam's knives and it's called TekLine). I've been using it for about 6 weeks now, so let me share some thoughts (and photos) of this fixed blade buddy.

I’m certainly not a newcomer if we talk hollow handle knives. I’ve been using them for about 20+ years now. And I’m not talking about „Rambo knives” but things like CRK MK.VI, which you can see in my hand in the photo below (me and my buddy after using it to clear some branches during heavy rain). It was taken easily 20 years ago... yes, that guy on the left with MK.VI is a young version of me! Photo taken by my wife, she was on a sailing boat and waiting for me with a camera:

mk6_old1.jpg

And here it is compared to my CRK Scout, a 1-off moded Ubejane, which left CRK facility the way you see it after Chris did his magic to it. Still that CRK Scout is a relatively heavy survival knife, made to abuse... but it'd be an ultralight hiker's nightmare. It certainly has its place, but it is not something I'd carry when mountaineering with a light pack. Now times have changed and I prefer lighter knives, especially when hiking. Still, there’s something cool about hollow handle knives… and now Sam combined the hollow handle idea with lightweight (but still tough) construction.

samwilson_pam_web-13.jpg

samwilson_pam_web-2.jpg

It's not a survival knife, but rather hiker’s tool with optional storage for essentials. So what do I carry in my Sam Wilson knife? Only what I may need in my area (central Europe). So don’t expect a fishing kit etc. For me, „a survival situation” means „being able to start a fire” which I may need for heating and/or signaling. Yes, there are still cases here, especially in wild forest-covered mountains in fall/winter, when a small fire can literally save your life. So what’s inside the handle? Storm matches with striker, tinder, 3ft of braided kevlar wire (for gear repair) and… bandaid. Don’t laugh, it’s really useful to have it around when you play with sharp knives. I carry IFAK too, but still, a bandaid is good to have close at hand. Additionally I made a Mini-BIC holder and put it on the sheath. Added a bit of gaffer’s tape too. That’s all. No aqua tabs, no fishing kit, no-nonsense (for my area!). Fire is the key.

samwilson_pam_web-8.jpg

samwilson_pam_web-6.jpg

But still, this knife can easily be batoned through some branches (easily up to 2 inches) to find dry wood inside, can whittle feathersticks, and scrape fatwood for tinder. It cust well, keeps a sharp edge, and has a darn good kydex sheath! I’ve been baking kydex sheaths for 15+ years so I know something about kydex. It’s a good knife/sheath combo.

samwilson_pam_web-9.jpg

samwilson_pam_web-10.jpg

samwilson_pam_web-11.jpg

I'll keep posting here from time to time, I want to use this knife really hard this summer. And BTW, that's me now, 20+ years after that first shot in this thread (photo by my lovely wife as well):

me_now_web.jpg

:]

Last edited:
Now some real-life update. I've been carrying it recently at two mountaineering trips. One in Tatra Mountains (alpine style mountains) and also in wild Bieszczady Mountains. Bieszczady is kind of Endor-like area (if you're Star Wars fan then you know what I mean). It's quite huge area on a border between Poland in Ukraine, very primal, mostly forest-covered but top parts of the hills are above tree-line. One of the last places in EU where you can disappear if you want and no one would find you. Anyway, I was using the knife for food prep, cutting paracord, whittling, wood splitting, fire starting, etc. Later in June I'll take it also for a week on a sailing boat (sailing on lakes), so it'll be used also for fish cleaning, etc. It's lightweight and capable, that's for sure. Here I carry it on a side of my PDW Wuuld pack, safe and comfy.

scoutpdw_05.jpg

scoutpdw_02.jpg

scoutpdw_04.jpg

Also... it comes with one of the BEST kydex sheaths among all production / midtech knives. It's made by Sagewood Gear (as far as I know) so this is already a good sign. Fully functional, comfy, and modular. I've been carrying it on belt of course, but also on side of a backpack, on my HPG Ute Lite pack (I just put molle straps instead of leather belt loop) and even on my ultralight MEC summit pack in a shoulder strap pocket dedicated for a small water bottle (without any loop, just with safety paracord tied to sheath):

utelt-7.jpg

utelt-6.jpg

scoutpdw_09.jpg

After a couple of weeks of testing and two weeks of real-life hiking in the mountains, I can surely recommend it as a small but robust EDC fixed blade. Sure, it's all scratched up, but I couldn't care less. Oh, that finish is also super easy to clean with just water and soap. Even resin doesn't stick to GunKote too much. I really the cutting performance of that thin stock blade - if you are not doing stupid things with it there's nothing to worry about, it's still tougher than most folders of similar weight.

scoutpdw_10.jpg

P.

Back