Sandblast finish on chefs knives

I am almost done with a chefs knife and I can't decide on a finish. I don't want a mirror polish or any real polish. The steel is S35VN, hardened to 60Rc, which is a bitch to hand sand. I would like a matt finish but I'm not sure how to get it. Would a fine sandblast finish look good? I don't think food would stick because the texture would allow air to get between the food and blade, I think. What do those of you with some experience think?
Tim

Hey Tim, I would recommend a hand rubber finish, 600 grit or so. To me, a sandblast finish does not look appealing. Also, a sand blast finish is more prone to corrosion. And yes, it's a hell of a job. I've been thinking about a way to speed the process up and maintaining a high quality finish for 2 years now... ;-) Nick Wheeler's video about hand rubbing is very useful.

Good luck!

I agree that a sandblast wouldn't look too good but a 320X glass bead blast looks pretty good IMO.

On S35vn you aren't going to have to worry a whole lot about corrosion. It can happen, but it is real easy to avoid, even with a media-blasted finish.

- Chris

belt finish for most of my kitchen knives due to the ease of refinishing the blade with the handle still on it (also if they get sharpened alot you ca then thin the blade back out and refinish)

Back