saved up 200$...

hi guys,

l saved up 200$ by now. So, ready to get some quality balisong, right? You guys know best:

Should I buy a bm 43 / tachyon now, or wait another few months for the next big thing, say, a tachyon with kris blade or whatever? Any tip is appreciated, thanks!

Ah, BTW, what about the “gold” or “deep blue” anodized handles that Chuck was talking about in his preview on the bm42? All I´ve seen so far is purple handles (and, of course, the BLK-series)...

Ah, BTW, what about the “gold” or “deep blue" anodized handles that Chuck was talking about in his preview on the bm42?

So far, BM has stuck with the purple/green/blue that they started out with.

Should I buy a bm 43 / tachyon now, or wait another few months for the next big thing, say, a tachyon with kris blade or whatever?

The next big round of introductions will probably be at Bladeshow in May. Perhaps Spyderco will publically unveil their new product at that time. But, the rummor is that it won't be available until more like end of the year.

It depends to some extent on what you want the knife for. If it's gonna be a flipper, I always suggest one of the BM42/3/7 or maybe the new 31. With $200, you're starting to get into Tachyon range, but you'll have to save some more for that. I'd say go for a BM43.

You may wish to review some of the comments in these threads: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189416
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189288

Anyone know when the arc-angel's will be generally available?

As for the tachyon vs 42, the tachyon's a smoother flipper and just put together so well. But for some reason I prefer flipping the 42, I think it must be that I like the rounded handles more.

You might want to consider a Monarch. Don't know about availability but they fall within your price range. From what I've heard, they are pretty robust knives.:)

You may want to hold out and see what the Larry Davidson Hornet will cost. If this things flips as good as it looks it will be one killer balisong. For more info check it out at the following:
First Thread Second Thread

I believe "hold out" was a bad choice of words. What I meant was it may be worth saving more money for a Hornet.

As Chuck said, if you are looking for a flipper, go with BM, 43 or whichever one you like best, 42, 47. The Taychon is super smooth, better made, and better looking IMHO, but is smaller and lighter. I really like the Tacyhon as a carry/user due to it smaller size. Can't wait for the BM31, but I don't expect the quality to match the Tacyhon. But it will be a great carry/user also.

If you're not in a hurry, I say wait for the release of the Cold Steel Arc Angel and see what the reviews say.

The BM 4x Ti's are excellent value, but you will suffer from having to circumvent the import issue if you have to send it back for warranty work. The Tachyon is very well engineered, and is a smooth and quiet flipper, full of the famous build quality Micro Tech is known for. You can lose with either choice.

Thanks for your ideas!

I guess i´ll go for a 43, then save up for a tachyon... never thought i´d spent that much money on knives...

I'm with Tony - if you aren't dieing to have one waiting for the Arc-Angel might be a good idea. It promises to be very high quality.

Of course you ain't going wrong with a 43!

The tachyon is a better made product,and it's smoother that the BM-4X line of balisong's....you really notice the difference when you compare them back to back.
But if you going for comfort in the hand...I have to stick with BM bali line.The rounder and longer handles just feel much better than the squared off handles of the tachyon.

So it's up to you,if you want top notch product that flips a little more smoothly and quietly,and with practically NO blade/handle wobble,then I say go for the tachyon.
But if you want something that will flip just fine,and feels better in the hand while manipulating,and costs less...then go with the
BM-4X line...I prefer the BM-43 the most.
BTW i'm not saying that BM bali's are unsmooth,loud and have wobbly handles/blade,i'm just saying that the MT tachyon addresses those issues a little better than BM balisong's do.
Good luck with whatever you decide to buy...peace
-Stagger lee

Originally posted by Serious Sam
Thanks for your ideas!

I guess i´ll go for a 43, then save up for a tachyon... never thought i´d spent that much money on knives...

~~~> SILLY YOU!! :)

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

never thought I´d spent that much money on knives...

For God's sake man, run for your life, your very soul, your humanity. Poor devils, if they only knew.:D

Originally posted by Serious Sam

You hath already commited yourself to an oath of eternal poverty.

If I were you, which I'm not, I'd get two benchmades for a little over that price. That way you can practice double bali routines.;)

Serious Sam,

I'm surprised no one said wait for a BM 45.

The Tachyon is a little short and the BM 42/43 is a little light.

I would get a small BM/PC before I got a BM 42/43; just my opinion.

IMHO, the BM 45 can't be beat. :)

Originally posted by Agent-A1
That way you can practice double bali routines.;)

... already got a 42, so that´s why i said i´d go for a 43 first, right now i´m doin that double stuff with two herbertz knives (same as the jags, but they didnt break up yet, got ´em for a year by now).

Back