Saving the SAK!

Ballistol also sells those "wet wipes", great to have one or two in your edc imo; in case no cleaning means are available. And in case people don't know Ballistol, it's a great multi purpose mineral oil that's also food save. Also great for cleaning and lubing, next to treating wood. Thought I mention that, since this comment made me think of that. 🙂
I appreciate the tip, but for the same money, I’d rather carry a little bottle of the Victorinox oil…which I already have. Prepackaged Ballistol wipes could prove useful for other reasons…thanks for that. 👍

Pleasure to be of help! 😊
I didn't know Victorinox sells a multitool-oil, so thanks for that as well!
I just looked it up and I am seeing 10 ml Victorinox multitool-oil costs 5,90€. And 50 ml of Ballistol (Universal Oil) costs 3,49€. I took this data from their own websites, so I'm not sure what the prices are where you live.
Some might sell it more expensive respectively I guess.
I Didn't see anything saying what else the multitool-oil by Victorinox can be used for on my quick googling, so I'm not quite sure if it's also a multi-purpose mineral-oil, or specialized for lubricating multitool-mechanics. I am reading the Victorinox multitool-oil fullfills NSF-H1-Standards though, so it's also food save.

Last edited:
My alox farmer has been my dirty deeds knife for years. I clean it with water after every use and sometimes use some dish soap on it. I oil it with mineral oil so it remains food safe. The blade remains like new thanks to the Vicky pocket sharpener. Only tool that is a little scratched up is the saw, which I used to repair a customer's sprinkler piping after digging it up accidentally. The green scales are wearing nicely, which gives the knife character. Always have it with me regardless if I also have my working folder or a nicer weekend knife.

I have a very small group of SAKs. Some are just nostalgic. Some are just pretty, with colored Alox handles. Some are beaters. For me, I always carry a SAK and a locking folder or fixed blade. Then I have a Dirty Deeds + knife. A $10 flea market camp or usually electrician's knife. I live not far from the Camillus Cutlery factory. They're everywhere in various conditions. CAMCO, Imperial, Colonial, Klein Brand, etc. They contracted out to many companies. My prized possession is a new condition US Utility knife (Some call a Demo knife) marked 1998. So it's nearly 30 years old already. I have come to collect any vintage knives with bails. As for the beater knife: someone will ask for your knife. What they want is a screwdriver. I hand em the beater with the screwdriver already open

Back